Insane family members

17 minutes ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

So my dad really isn't that bad, but I wish he'd take better care of himself. He has been here for 6 days and polished off 4 bottles of wine and numerous cocktails. He won't drink water, he needs something a little sweet like juice or sweet tea. I made a cake for his birthday and dozens of sugar cookies for him, they were gone in 3 days. Today he was hunting through my pantry after eating a sandwich and asked if I had any cookies. No, but if you need something sweet, we have a basket full of fruit. Decided to grab some glazed almonds instead. Sigh. Since type 2 diabetes is pretty much airborne in rural Nebraska, I'm concerned. Much as I joke about wine and our wine collection, my husband and I rarely drink a bottle between us in a single night, unless it's a celebration or with friends.

My mom went through a period of depression and drinking when I was younger. I don't think my dad necessarily acts drunk or even obnoxious, I feel like it's boredom or just trying to relax.

I hear what you are saying and went through something similar with my grandpa (who was my dad) and I would get pissed at him for eating ice cream all day.  But at some point, I decided to say fuck because we are looking at life through two different views. 

Once I reach a certain age, I am on the booze and oxy train and one day I won't wake up.  I dread my two boys (4/6) and in particular my youngest (because he is the caretaker of the two) sacrifice time with their families to take care of me.  I am sure my boys will be pissed at me, but taking care of a parent is TOTALLY differnt than a kid.  Kids grow more independent. 

With that said, I may or may not be drunk because everyone went to bed early. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.