Got Wheat?

perfectsim

Wheat Shortage  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have enough flour/wheat to make it through to the other side?

• I'm the grasshopper.
    • I'm the ant.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/15/2022 at 02:00 AM

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/23/1100592132/united-nations-food-shortages

The UN is warning of wheat shortages, perhaps less than 10 weeks in world stockpiles. I'd venture that's calculated as an average across all countries. So, the US and Australia: probably fine. The rest of the world? Probably screwed. There have already been food riots in a few countries already. Will this lead to another "Arab spring?" Some countries have banned exports and returned to protectionist policies (India in particular is a big one). Plantings in the US currently lag, partly due to fertilizer and fuel prices costs being so high (and likely to increase).

So, do you have enough flour to make pizza and bread until fall of 2025? Well, do ya?

• 1 month later...

The Sri Lanka thing is insane and terrible. I fear the same will happen to other countries, mostly poorer ones, within the next 12-18 months. I'm also anticipating another "Arab Spring" because of high grain prices. The only thing that might save the US on energy prices is demand destruction. I think oil especially will continue to increase coupled with an overall decrease in consumption. 

In the Netherlands, the government passed a law intended to cut Nitrogen emissions in the form of NO2 and ammonia. This means forcing farmers to buy expensive "credits" for their livestock or a forced sale of their land/culling of livestock by up to 30%. The farmers are protesting with their farm equipment now blocking some transportation routes leading to shortages in some supermarkets. The police have been using mace and teargas to try and break them up. The Netherlands is the #2 food exporter in the world, so anything there can have a large impact on the rest of the world and in particular, Europe. 

Farmers here in the states have been struggling too but not the point that they're going to block routes for trade. It's just getting damn expensive to make our meat or grow our cereal. 

Oddly, I told a friend I know it sounds terrible but I hope this brings about a resurgence of victory gardens and the end of large expanses of lawn.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2022 at 6:13 AM, Ms. Spam said:

Oddly, I told a friend I know it sounds terrible but I hope this brings about a resurgence of victory gardens and the end of large expanses of lawn.

I want to get rid of front lawns. They're the stupidest things ever. I would totally go for a victory garden in a heartbeat if the HOA wouldn't cry about it.

Our community garden here is dying in the condo because of heat but the school committed to a garden instead of a lawn and it's getting pretty nice. The cafeteria even uses some of the ingredients from the garden to feed the kids and the kids tend the garden. It looks sad right now because of school being out. I honestly want more fruit trees. We have a lemon and a crabapple but you need more so the pollinators can be attracted.

I have a pear tree and an apple tree. The pears are pretty damned good. The apples make good hard cider. I also have some corn growing way too slow. I planted a few seeds as they were a year or two old and I wanted to see if they would even germinate. I've made a point this year of getting out of my usual eating habits when it comes to local produce. I'll probably hit up a corn festival this year, even though I typically don't eat corn on the cob. I figure that I should at least enjoy every moment I can if somehow everything collapses. There is also the possibility that some phytocompound I eat once happens to give me marginal protection against the virus du jour. 

I also made a point of buying some miracle grow. Quite frankly, it's not a good or long term solution. However, if and when I have to seriously supplement my food with the homegrown stuff... I'd like to have a good first year while the compost pile ramps up. 

Anybody watch those depressing videos from farmers warning us on YouTube?

Industrial farming monoculture is basically the cause of all this shit. The soil in the US is basically dead from extensive industrialised farming. Desertification.

Biodiverse, regenerative farming is the way forward. 

If anyone interested watch Kiss the Ground. It's a bit alarmist, but is also hopeful and provides solutions.

Basically bio diversity is the answer, in farming and in wildlife. It would literally reverse climate change.

Not if you listen to people like this. Granted, the sample size of these videos may be small, but I don't think there were warnings like this in years past. Preppers and tin foil hatters, sure, but the confluence of high input costs without offsetting high (enough) futures prices and weather/global events seems unprecedented. 

Yeah, some farmers couldn't even get the fertilizer they needed at any cost throughout the growing season. Add to that the mess that is the supply of water to California farmers... It's not just the drought, it's chronic mismanagement of the important infrastructure of this country. All the chickens are coming home to roost at once. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.