Dead franchise/IPs

Tank

Heck Robert Downey Jr isn't the box office star people thought he was. It's have to do the research, but if guess that is you take the MCU box office out of the equation Paul Rudd might be the highest grossing star of the bunch. Paltrow possibly as well 

49 minutes ago, Metropolis said:

Heck Robert Downey Jr isn't the box office star people thought he was. It's have to do the research, but if guess that is you take the MCU box office out of the equation Paul Rudd might be the highest grossing star of the bunch. Paltrow possibly as well 

How are you defining it? Star of a standalone MCU movie and box office based on movies they've been the headlining actor? Or major actors in the MCU and films they've been in outside of the MCU? 

Dude what? 

Are you just looking at my posts? RDJ during the MCU run was considered the biggest movie start in the world. I'm not hating because I love me some Derrick Lutz and Lincoln Osiris. Outside of the MCU what RDJ film was a huge success? Sherlock? What else? 

Maybe it's time sensitive, but he's not a box office mover. Wild Wild West was a garbage movie, but it had decent box office because Will Smith was one of the biggest states in Hollywood at the time.

8 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

How are you defining it? Star of a standalone MCU movie and box office based on movies they've been the headlining actor? Or major actors in the MCU and films they've been in outside of the MCU? 

When it comes to the MCU actors it's a bit of both. That's because none of them have extensive headlining roles except for maybe RDJ. There thing is RDJ was considered the biggest star in Hollywood during his MCU run. His other movies wouldn't lead you to believe that. 

Of the Chris' in the MCU it's not Evans or Hemsworth, but Pratt right? Or is it just that he's attached to Jurassic Park? 

So if you remove RDJ’s MCU movies then his movies haven’t made money? And if you remove RDJ’s Sherlock then his movies haven’t made money? Would like to remove anymore of RDJ’s films to prove his films haven’t made money? May I suggest Doolittle? Doolittle, an arguable flop, would remove another $245 million dollars so that should also make it easier to argue RDJ’s movies outside of the MCU and outside of his movies that made money didn’t make money.

I’m seeing Choc’s point when you bring up Arnold or Eddie Murphy— the cult of celebrity has definitely taken a back seat top IP, but both have always been key factors.

The MCU likes to hedge its bets between a break out Star and an established one. Iron Man was a comeback for RDJ, he’d been doing smaller Indie stuff since he became hard to insure with his addiction battles.

Hemsworth was new, but Portman was held in high regard. Evans had a strong mid-sized career, same with Scar-Jo. Marvel’s secret weapon has always been casting.

But back on topic— don’t expect Marvel or SW to slow down any time soon.

I’m very apprehensive about the next Indy movie, and I really hope they put it to bed afterwards… but I have a feeling they will start doing “world of Indiana Jones” spin-offs. Weirdly, with the YIJC, Lucas had his prequel template.

Out of all of the MCU actors, Jackson is the top by far. He’s got a long, distinguished career and he was in 3 Star Wars movies. But he’s also probably the only actor in the MCU where you hear he’s in a movie and that’s enough. Rudd’s probably done well but none of his movies pre-MCU were huge.  Portman would probably be pretty high up on the list as well, and she’s definitely a star of the new Thor that’s coming out, and was a star of 3 Star Wars movies. 

The thing about RDJ was that he carried the MCU. He was the face of the franchise and he wasn’t really doing anything else during that time. And then his first post-MCU movie was something that nobody wanted to see, and even that made $250,000,000. 

People don’t go to see just anything an actor is in anymore, but that’s in large part because we have options. You want to watch an action movie? You don’t just have the new Arnold movie, you’ve got 10 streaming services that have every action movie ever plus a ton of new content just for that platform, and it’s not cheesy made for TV stuff. 

To save anyone time that wants to try to crunch the numbers:

https://m.the-numbers.com/person/41500401-Robert-Downey-Jr

https://m.the-numbers.com/person/125000401-Paul-Rudd

https://m.the-numbers.com/person/1350401-Gwyneth-Paltrow

https://m.the-numbers.com/person/116290401-Chris-Pratt

To further save anyone’s time that wants to crunch the numbers:

RDJ’s Sherlock franchise and Doolittle account for approx 1.2 bIllion dollars combined. So that can be chopped right off of any calculations you want to do to show he isn’t a box office draw or that his non-MCU film’s don’t make money.

I would also suggest crossing these careers with IMDB and Box Office Mojo to calculate how much MCU money needs to be subtracted from all involved in order to explore the hypothesis that Paul Rudd or Gwyneth Paltrow’s non-MCU box offices are greater than Robert Downey Jr’s. Chris Pratt was added for convenience because he was also brought up in direct relation to this hypothesis.

Have fun. As always, “do your own research.” ;-) 

30 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Out of all of the MCU actors, Jackson is the top by far. He’s got a long, distinguished career and he was in 3 Star Wars movies. But he’s also probably the only actor in the MCU where you hear he’s in a movie and that’s enough. Rudd’s probably done well but none of his movies pre-MCU were huge.  Portman would probably be pretty high up on the list as well, and she’s definitely a star of the new Thor that’s coming out, and was a star of 3 Star Wars movies. 

The thing about RDJ was that he carried the MCU. He was the face of the franchise and he wasn’t really doing anything else during that time. And then his first post-MCU movie was something that nobody wanted to see, and even that made $250,000,000. 

People don’t go to see just anything an actor is in anymore, but that’s in large part because we have options. You want to watch an action movie? You don’t just have the new Arnold movie, you’ve got 10 streaming services that have every action movie ever plus a ton of new content just for that platform, and it’s not cheesy made for TV stuff. 

The curation of content is 100% the key factor to dismantling star power.

Actor Worldwide Box Office Total
Box Office Less MCU
Samuel L Jackson $27,685,093,147 $15,640,031,089
Benedict Cumberbatch $14,908,290,920 $5,838,728,064
Chris Pratt $11,714,147,464 $5,227,991,650
Scarlett Johansson $15,385,688,332 $4,761,882,370
Natalie Portman $8,237,205,928 $4,345,476,230
Paul Rudd $10,477,608,094 $3,337,526,146
Robert Downey Jr $15,728,895,535 $2,875,007,344
Mark Ruffalo $11,402,818,725 $2,363,515,147
Gwyneth Paltrow $11,863,417,392 $2,202,090,215
Chris Evans $13,537,821,471 $2,021,404,821
Chris Hemsworth $11,689,931,408 $1,735,921,524

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/105fwPiFjChNqWxsGruuXXLV3bnjSzUsg_ZkG7-41NRA/edit?usp=sharing

1 hour ago, Tank said:

I’m very apprehensive about the next Indy movie, and I really hope they put it to bed afterwards… but I have a feeling they will start doing “world of Indiana Jones” spin-offs. Weirdly, with the YIJC, Lucas had his prequel template.

I hope it's the last one too. The spoilers I've read on it (if accurate, of course), seem pretty batshit, so I'm just going along for the ride. Can easily dismiss it as non-existent if it's bad. I'm not really sure how they can spin off from either this or previous films, though. I know Ke Huy Quan just came back to acting, but who would pay to see a grown up Short Round movie?

1 minute ago, Darth Krawlie said:

I hope it's the last one too. The spoilers I've read on it (if accurate, of course), seem pretty batshit, so I'm just going along for the ride. Can easily dismiss it as non-existent if it's bad. I'm not really sure how they can spin off from either this or previous films, though. I know Ke Huy Quan just came back to acting, but who would pay to see a grown up Short Round movie?

At this point, a Short Round movie is the only thing I would be interested in seeing in the Indy-verse. Of course I'm going to see Indy 5, but that's more because I'm an idiot.

How do we interpret, for instance, $1,735,921,524?  For those numbers to be particularly meaningful, though, they have to be viewed in context of other actors/actresses.  How much money are others making with careers over similar lengths of time and around the same time periods?  For the same matter, is it fair to compare MCU actors without the MCU to someone like Dwayne Johnson who has had franchises of his own?  I was about to include Vin Diesel there, but then remembered Groot.

In other words, how do the grosses of MCU folks compare to others acting at the same time period?

21 minutes ago, Jacen123 said:

How do we interpret, for instance, $1,735,921,524?  For those numbers to be particularly meaningful, though, they have to be viewed in context of other actors/actresses.  How much money are others making with careers over similar lengths of time and around the same time periods?  For the same matter, is it fair to compare MCU actors without the MCU to someone like Dwayne Johnson who has had franchises of his own?  I was about to include Vin Diesel there, but then remembered Groot.

In other words, how do the grosses of MCU folks compare to others acting at the same time period?

Without cutting any franchises, Johnson has grossed $12,479,559,044 at the box office. A large portion of that is Fast and the Furious, without that it goes down to 7,546,128,118. Of course if we really wanted to compare individual box office draw, you'd cut out anything that's a franchise or IP, but I have no interest in doing that work. The main purpose of mine was to show the highest grossing MCU actor, which was a completely different question previously posed.

52 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Actor Worldwide Box Office Total
Box Office Less MCU
Samuel L Jackson $27,685,093,147 $15,640,031,089
Benedict Cumberbatch $14,908,290,920 $5,838,728,064
Chris Pratt $11,714,147,464 $5,227,991,650
Scarlett Johansson $15,385,688,332 $4,761,882,370
Natalie Portman $8,237,205,928 $4,345,476,230
Paul Rudd $10,477,608,094 $3,337,526,146
Robert Downey Jr $15,728,895,535 $2,875,007,344
Mark Ruffalo $11,402,818,725 $2,363,515,147
Gwyneth Paltrow $11,863,417,392 $2,202,090,215
Chris Evans $13,537,821,471 $2,021,404,821
Chris Hemsworth $11,689,931,408 $1,735,921,524

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/105fwPiFjChNqWxsGruuXXLV3bnjSzUsg_ZkG7-41NRA/edit?usp=sharing

This is great. I assume this is not parsing box office take based on leading roles?

18 minutes ago, Metropolis said:

I didn't say that nor was it ever my point. 

“Heck Robert Downey Jr isn’t the box office star people thought he was. It‘s have to do the research, but if guess that is you take the MCU box office out of the equation Paul Rudd might be the highest grossing star of the bunch. Paltrow possibly as well”

RDJ is not the box office star people think he is. Remove his MCU box office and he’s probably made less than Paul Rudd, possibly Gwyneth Paltrow.

My understanding of your words is wrong?

”So if you don’t count RDJ’s movies that made money you can then prove RDJ’s movies made less money?”

This query is unfair in regards to your supposition? I don’t understand the umbrage I am inferring you have with regard to my inquires.

20 minutes ago, Spider-Man said:

This is great. I assume this is not parsing box office take based on leading roles?

It isn’t. I could spend the time to break that out as well, but… I’m not interested in digging that far right now.

Spider-Man I NEVER said his movies didn't make money. I was talking that being the superstar he became(because of the MCU) he never drove box office like an Arnold, Will Smith, or Tom Cruise. Hell i was just kidding about Paul Rudd, but Fozzie's research proved right lol. 

There was an article i saw a few days ago asking Is Tom Cruise the last true movie star? It made a valid argument. Maverick is a highly anticipated movie this week. A trailer for Mission Impossible just dropped, and despite it being a franchise, it's a franchise he built. Even with his Scientology ties and odd behavior at times, Cruise's movies have performed consistently and have usually gotten positive reviews. 

M:I is definitely a Cruise franchise and won’t outlast him. At least not successfully. But there are other actors who I think can attract attention just because of who they are - Matt Damon and George Clooney come to mind. Neither is Tom Cruise, but I think that the draw is there. Dwayne Johnson is another like that - if you’re going to see one of his movies, you’re pretty well guaranteed that it’s going to be fun. It might not be good, the story might suck and the acting might be substandard, but he’s charismatic as heck and can carry a movie on his incredibly broad shoulders.

Well, Fozzie’s chart doesn’t parse for leading roles. But otherwise it is great chart.

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-star-records/domestic/lifetime-acting/top-grossing-leading-stars

This site has done the work for parsing out leading roles already (which it states is concluded by credits), however it does not exclude MCU box office in that listing.

8 minutes ago, Spider-Man said:

Well, Fozzie’s chart doesn’t parse for leading roles. But otherwise it is great chart.

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-star-records/domestic/lifetime-acting/top-grossing-leading-stars

This site has done the work for parsing out leading roles already (which it states is concluded by credits), however it does not exclude MCU box office in that listing.

That site doesn't really do a great job with leading roles. If you look at Benedict Cumberbatch, for example, it excludes Sherlock: The Abominable Bride from his leading roles, despite the fact that he's Sherlock. So you would really need to do a deeper dig to get better numbers.  That's why I was unwilling to do it based on leading roles right now, because it takes a lot more effort since I'm not familiar with all of the movies all of these actors have been in.

https://m.the-numbers.com/person/34260401-Benedict-Cumberbatch

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.