Kids in the Hall and other new nostalgia

Hobbes

New season of Kids in the Hall dropped this week.   I was a HUGE fan as a teenager.  They have a documentary too that also dropped, but I haven't seen it.

I started watching it and the intro sketch was okay--but then the opening theme hit and the feels set in--I had to rewatch the opening 2-3 times.  It felt right and then the first sketch hit and I started laughing--like LOL laughing.  I am watching on my laptop and I realize that it is wildly not for the rest of the family immediately.  I realize the kids are back and are back to hit hard.  I am laughing like I was in high school just getting home and watching it on comedy central--back when I watched the A List (anyone remember that) and MST3K on repeat. 

I think this is the best relaunch of an older show/ series I have seen. 

The second I saw complete a complete sketch showcasing full frontal of a bunch of 60-year-old whom I have loved  for over 30 years I knew it's on. 

So just wondering, whats your favorite updates?  Anything you would like to see? 

I would love to see Freaks and Geeks.  That show was magic.  It was set in the late-70 so maybe do an update set in the early 2000s. 

Yeah, it’s great!!! Haven’t seen the documentary --- I think it’s actually not even out yet, coming out the day after tomorrow, maybe!?

Favourite bits : 60 On The Pole (I think this is the one that just demonstrates the sheer ridiculousness of what they’re doing, it’s a note they hit a lot over the course of the season of course but still, still, still!), the one with the slippery babies, Ambublamce, when they brought back “I’m CRUSHING your head!”, oh, the cops, love the cops, there’s this thing where Mark talks about being unable to find his friends in a crowd and then they all have flags that I think is maybe a parody of Guy Maddin, in general I just love it when Bruce McCulloch gets very serious and earnest in his demeanour, oh wait the sketch where Dave Foley is a post-apocalyptic morning show DJ who only has one song to play!, they brought back the waiters (I think the waiters were on the old show, right? There’s a sketch — looked it up, “Dipping Areas” — where everyone in a restaurant’s kitchen is just incredibly nice and kind and patient with each other while the customers wait. They do it again this time with the Employees Must Wash Hair Before Pooping sketch and I think maybe another one earlier in the season?). [edit : okay, yeah, I remembered! The one about the pie/tart!]

I’m undecided on whether or not I want them to do a Season 7 right away or wait ANOTHER THIRTY YEARS and do it when they’re all ninety!?

There’s a thing about that bit that they show actual footage of in the documentary (which is fantastic!) which makes it clear that ... it’s something they used to do on stage!?!?!? I don’t understand how it’s funny if you can’t actually show through forced perspective that he’s crushing their heads. But apparently Mark McKinney used to get laughs at the Rivoli long before the TV show even existed just sitting up there and doing it to the audience. I guess the people there would imagine what he was seeing!?

I think it’s a pretty obvious thing to be able to picture. I’ve never seen the skit because I was never really a fan, but I know exactly what’s happening. Heck, I feel like a lot of kids have done it.

Yeah? Probably, yeah. If it’s the sort of thing that everybody did all the time as kids and the joke is that he’s a grown-up just taking it unusually seriously, sure. (Feel like that’s the type of gag they’d do fairly often, actually? First sketch that comes to mind w/that premise is the one with a bunch of people on a bus singing ♫ NOBODY LIKES US ♫ EVERYBODY HATES US ♫ LET’S JUST GO EAT WORMS ♫ and then they actually do it.)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.