Love and Thunder

Darth Krawlie

• 2 months later...

One mid and one post scene, both good ones, though only the mid scene has potential future ramifications. Good cameos in both.

Russell Crowe as Zeus was… interesting, to say the least! There were some creative choices there I understand, but would not have made personally. The thunderbolt was really cool though.

Thor himself was just… a dumbass. I know we’ve gone goofy with him, and that’s fine, but he seemed too oblivious and flat out stupid instead of someone who’s trying to not take himself so seriously anymore.

I’ve liked the music in each Thor film, despite the lack of continuity between them, until this one. Absolutely nothing memorable coming from Giacchino here.

Bale was really good, as always. I’m not sure they did enough with Gorr to really do the God Butcher storyline justice, but it was a good performance nonetheless.

Not sure I can say much else without spoiling anything!

• 2 months later...

We finally watched it over the weekend.  I definitely agree that the humor doesn’t let the serious parts breathe enough.  I enjoy Taika’s general style, but like Jacob said, it needs to be kept in check at times.

I had heard so many underwhelming things about the movie, so I ended up enjoying it more than I expected to, though I also just really enjoy Thor, Norse mythology, and Hemsworth.

Bale was fantastic as Gorr and it worked well enough having Val and Jane as replacements for young Thor and old King Thor from the comic arc. It would have been nice to see some more clear evidence of Gorr as really being avid butcher and I think his movie may have actually benefitted from a tone more like The Dark World while Malekith would have made more sense for a Taika-style movie, I think.

One comment I read ahead of time that at least helped the movie make more sense to me as it went was to keep in mind that the story in it is being told by Korg to kids, so things that seem too ridiculous are being exaggerated by him.  That helps with a lot of the ridiculous dialogue and aspects of characterization at times, including the jealousy shown by Stormbreaker, but things with it were overdone still.

I heard that Taika won’t be returning, which I’m happy to hear.  It is time for a different take on Thor in the future.

I didn’t hate it, loved Natalie Portman enjoying herself in a movie, but overall I feel like this was a sequel to Ragnarok and didn’t really feel like it carried any of the weight of what Thor experienced in Infinity War or Endgame.

It also greatly suffered from being shot on the Volume stage, just like Obi-Wan did. 

Not related to this movie, I ain't seen it yet..but it's kind of related. there is a Norwegian action/comedy series called Ragnarok on Netflix which gets Thor, Loki and characters of Norse mythology right. (It's not marvel). But if anyone's into super heroes at highschool I highly rated it. It's subtitled for people that don't snakke norsk but totally worth it. Thor is a bit of a loveable bonehead and Loki is pure mayhem

The ending saved it for me. I thought the kids fighting was super cute. Sue me lol. There is a thing at too much humor. Taika went after every piece of low hanging fruit. He was watching YouTube videos of goats on the toilet and thought "I'm going to put that in the movie".

I usually don't harp on plot holes or inconsistencies, but this movie almost begs for them. Everyone always asks why doesn't a hero just call the rest of the Avengers. Why not call the Guardians of the Galaxy? They're already IN THE MOVIE!!! The Stormbreaker thing rears its ugly head. Not the fact that an axe was copping an attitude. That thing took out Thanos with the full Infinity Gauntlet. I'll give you the Endgame argument of Thor being out of shape, but you're telling me God Bod Thor couldn't take out Gorr?

I actually loved the Stormbringer bits, with it slowly eeking into frame…

The plot hole I hated was that they make a thing out of Stormbringer sucking at bifrosting, so they have to get roundabout in their traveling… until it’s inconvenient and Thor just used Zues ‘ lightning bolt to teleport? With no explanation?

Also, with no lightning bolt or bifrost how did Jane show up at the end?

Ah now on that bit they did say early on that Valkyrie’s flying horse (probably has a proper name but I’m not sure), could travel via the bifrost, but not accurately, so they use Stormbringer. Suddenly it’s quite accurate at the end hey… ;-)

A quirky film - felt like he was a bit tied down by having to have the Guardians there at the start, and wanting to get rid of them asap. 
Bale & Portman were excellent, but overall was a let down as a film and that’s with me considering Ragnarok to still be my favourite of the MCU so far, so that was a real shame.

They shot on the volume, the LCD stage developed for Mandalorian. It may visually work, but when you have a massive FX load with less than forgiving footage, it gets over processed.

Also, Marvel’s timelines and their need to have carte Blanche approval is killing the FX industry.

• 1 year later...

Finally saw this the other night.  I was in a shitty mood so it did help with that.  Probably one of the weaker Thor movies with the first still being my favorite, and Ragnorok being a very close second.  THor 2 was OK to me.  I really enjoyed the goats.   

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.