Stranger Things!

CoLA

Yeah, it'll be weird, It's hard to keep the show in the 80s when the kids are looking so much older. But I feel like it needs to stay in that decade to work. Kind of like the Indiana Jones movies, they work best in the 1930s and don't feel the same once out of that period.

Similarly, being Spielberg inspired, just like his films they seemed to get needlessly bigger and more tidbit and less personal— which is the vibe I get.

Honestly, Netflix should have done with the Duffers what they did with Flannagan. Just let them make a new show every season. ST was so amazing in S1 and has never hit that mark again.

I’m here for Stranger Things no matter the season. The series is cool enough that my kids will watch it with me. Obviously several things required a “guidance chat” when my younger ones were like “whoa what why” about something, but overall the show is a cool and rare experience that got them to sit with dear old dad.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just ran through Season 1 today. My television recognized it as Dolby Vision, but the only thing I'd ever noticed was some brake lights on a vehicle and the enhanced red on the opening letters. I loved it, but I still found Winona Ryder to be a little bit annoying. 

Yeah finished it also. My main gripe is I can't stand it when a show relies on a character to explain plot in dialogue to push the story forward. It's so shit. Or when the bad guy reveal happens and they have a soliloquy banging on about the how the why the where and the when. It's just so lazy. It's much more satisfying when the audience can piece it all together themselves without exposition. 

Other than that, very enjoyable.

I like Steve. He's hilarious!

I'm now running through several episodes a night of season 2. The moment where Steve tells Dustin his secret about perfect hair. The whole "Damp, not wet" before applying Farrah's Hairspray is priceless. He's even funnier in season 3.

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely brilliant! Took my time watching the 7 episodes due to the final 2 dropping in July.

Excellent series - big main cast and splitting them up worked so well.

The reveal at the end of Ep 7 was excellently done and Ep 4 was also a massive highlight with a tense time!

Looking forward to these final 2 episodes!

I definitely think it's the best season since the first, but i don't think the magic of the first season could ever truly be duplicated. I feel like the Hopper/Joyce stuff is kind of dumb and far fetched (and it's saying something to find something far-fetched in this show haha) and feels like "adult filler." This is what happens when your story and scope outgrows your original premise. Steve continues to be MVP, and I LOVE Eddie.

It's crazy to watch the scope of this show and recognize the size of the budget, then go and watch Obi-Wan which is shot on a shoestring. 

The splitting of the storylines works well and will make it sweet when characters reunite. The Hawkins storyline and Eleven in the lab storylines are just A+. Absolutely awesome. The stuff in California and in Russia/Alaska are by no means bad but definitely a step back from the other 2 locations.

Also funny how everyone loves Eddie when he is a drug dealer. I mean hes not just selling weed either, he was trying to sell the girl ketamine. 

He was hesitant to sell it to her, though. Her desperation kind of sold it to him. Ket is not such a big deal, and it's super popular amongst the yout.  On a level of badness itd be like if he sold her ecstacy or something. It's not weed, but it's not heroin bad either. Eddie is sound.

Don't forget though he has been left behind in school multiple times and is an adult selling it to a child. 

Im not saying the guy is evil but I doubt anyone would like say the guy who can't even get out of HS and is still there at like 20 years old and selling your 16 year old daughter ketamine. I doubt anyone would consider that guy "sound". 

And Indiana Jones was in his late 20s banging Marion when she was 13. Wolverine and Deadpool are murders. Darth Vader kills children and still gets to Jedi heaven. Cinematic stories constantly give us anti-heroes or flawed people with we can't help but like. Redemption arcs are one of the core storytelling tropes ever.

It's not like Eddie's actions haven't gone unanswered. He witnesses a traumatizing brutal supernatural murder, all of Hawkins is hunting/blaming him, and he's ended up in the Upside Down. He's not having a good time, so in essence he's paying for his sins. He's started to break good, so if he makes it out alive, he'll be redeemed. They've done this pretty much every season, first with Steve, then with Billy. Granted, Billy never fully gave up being a douche, but in Season One we hated Steve for corrupting Nancy until we suddenly didn't anymore.

Well yeah like I said hes not evil. I was more pointing out just a funny quirk that people seem to like him. Im not bashing him or saying he is the worst person ever. Maybe Im reading people wrong. Alot of times when people say they like a character its more like "I love Walter White as a character" while still acknowledging he is an awful person. With Eddie just seems more like "hey that Eddie is cool, I like him." Maybe Im reading what people are saying wrong though. Was just pointing out he really isn't a good guy in the real world. Obviously on this show hes not 1% as bad as people or super natural beings we've come across. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.