Best PC games

I’ve never owned a gaming PC, which means I have only played games on whatever console I’ve owned over the past couple decades. The last game I played on a PC was KOTOR2. I’m upgrading a desktop that I already own into a gaming machine. Not top of the line, but I should be able to play most games, even if I can’t get max resolution on everything.

What are the games I need to play? Feel free to list games that are also on consoles, because I’ve easily missed them as well, and especially games that are better on PC for any reason.

Well..

You like Skyrim so I'm gonna put that top of the list. It's also my favourite game. And mods make it amaaaaazing. 500 plugins and it's a whole new next gen experience. Did I say that Mods are amazing? 

Fallout 4, for the same reasons above.

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

Also.. lots of mods available.

Disco Elysium.

Probably my favourite CRPG of the last 5 years. It's simply amazing. The writing is witty, profound and clever. The art is beautiful. You play as a cop who wakes up in a hotel room after a bender with total amnesia. Try figure out who you are while cracking the case you're working. If you want a truly David Lynch experience put lots of points into Inland Empire which is essentially your creative part of your brain, intuition etc. Have conversations with your neck tie. It's literally the best. I want to play it again now writing this.

Cyberpunk 2077

It's a landmark game even though a collosal failure at the time. Maybe it's landmark because it's considered a failure. But there is soooo much to enjoy. Best atmosphere and world building in a long time. Design is amazing. If you're a visual kind of person you won't find much fault with the experience. And the story is really good too. I've just re installed this and am gonna start a new playthrough soon.

Wasteland 3

Like fallout 2 but set in the snow with a squad of gunslingers. Say no more. Hilarious and violent and surprisingly deep tactical combat.

Doom (2016)

Shoot demons n shit

Crusader Kings 3

So many more to list, but lists can get overwhelming so.. 

Enjoy upgrading your PC! Prices on graphics cards has been steadily coming down again for the last couple months. It's not been as good a time to upgrade in a few years 

9 hours ago, Odine said:

Wasteland 3

Like fallout 2 but set in the snow with a squad of gunslingers. Say no more. Hilarious and violent and surprisingly deep tactical combat.

Did you play the second one? I sunk a lot of hours into it when it came out (I think early 2015 or 2016?) and enjoyed it but it was a bit clunky even after the upgrade. Is the third one pretty similar? Visually from screenshots it looks a lot better but haven’t heard if it’s a bit more polished. 

Forgot for the list,

Red Dead Redemption 2.

If you like ultra slow westerns, and sandbox open worlds this game is awesome. For me it dragged a bit in the middle, but was thoroughly enjoyable otherwise. Looks amazig too. 

Elden Ring.

Played about 20 hours. Everyone loves it which is why I've added it. It's fucking hard though. If you like Dark Souls and punishing games where death loops are a gameplay mechanic not a failure then you'll enjoy this. For me..I don't have the time or the patience. But it is still regarded as one of the best games out there.

I am a HUGE PC Gamer.  I like simulation/ strategy games.  I am not too big on FPS/ RPG so my taste varies from most. 

Rimworld--it may be my favorite game of all time. 

Cities: Skylines

Crusader Kings 3

Total War games--I love Total War: Warhammer 1,2,3

image.thumb.png.857340f9c45aa35075dd873e7a169960.png

My top games on time played.  Those numbers are a high because I often forget to shut them down.   I forgot to add Stellaris, but it falls in the same trap as similar games, once you get so powerful, the game becomes boring.  I don't think I have actually beat a full game because you are just cleaning up the map.  Beginning and mid-game are A-tier though.  CK3 has the same issue to some extent but succession laws help mitigate it to some degree. 

Rimworld is well worth the current price point especially because mods add so much...I am running 153 mods for it and most do not need the Royalty of Ideology DLCs.  I think there is a way I can share games with you if you want to try it out.

image.png.35b681255295a4f58e0212fcda5b22ae.png

On 4/12/2022 at 9:13 AM, Fozzie said:

What are the games I need to play? Feel free to list games that are also on consoles, because I’ve easily missed them as well, and especially games that are better on PC for any reason.

What kind of games do you like? I've been gaming on my PC a little over a year now, both new stuff and replaying stuff from the console that is better on PC.

If you like open world RPG stuff, I'll definitely echo the sentiments for Fallout 4 and Cyberpunk, even though i complain a lot about the latter. You can get Mass Effect Legendary edition (which is all 3 original games and their DLCs) and for my money, overall, it is one of the most rewarding and fun video games experiences I ever had. It's such a well-rounded and detailed world, and an epic space opera story that really lets you get into your choices and has amazing character stories.

I'm a big fan of the under-exposed Control. Very Jedi-like action in a weird office building caught in a dimensional rift sort of way. The writers of the Loki TV show took a LOT from Control.

If you want old school carnage and mayhem, even being years old by tech standards, GTA V is still an unrivaled benchmark. To that end, Red Dead Redemption 2 is up there with Mass Effect as one of the most emotionally moving and in-depth games I've ever played. It's a prequel, so you don't have to play the original (through after wards you may want to).

Which brings me to the topic of older-generation games. If you get a Steam membership you can get so many old and classic titles to play as well-- like the older Fallout/Wasteland games or in my case, lots of 90s point and click adventures. If you were a fan of those, I'll echo the sentiment over Disco Elysium. That game is amazing and brought back all those old school point and click feels.

If you want horror survival games, the first few Resident Evil games have been remastered and are a lot of fun. Control also fits into this category. One of my favorite games of the last 5-6 years is this simple, sometimes glitchy, but super fun zombie apocalypse game called State of Decay 1 and 2. It's cheap, easy to get the hang of and really, everything I ever wanted in a survival game. It's a simple survival sim. You have an open world map, (five of them actually in SOD2), smaller than the usual open world might be, but the pay off is every building and structure is enterable. The action part of the game is run on unreal-- so it's a 3rd person game. You can run, climb, dodge, fight, and shoot. Zombies are everywhere and you comb the map looking for supplies and weapons to better survive. The sim part focuses on building your community of survivors. You can set up a base, and then manage the supplies with all your characters adding buffs and perks through their skills. There's story missions too, but they are there as an added bonus. I really love it and play it over and over seeing how long I can go before my survivors die off. If you want an inexpensive, fun action/sim horror hybrid, I can't recommend it enough.

If you like sims, sports, fighting, or driving games, multiplayer shooters, or solo FPS shooters, I'm not a great resource, but as hated and plagued as it is, Star Wars BattleFront 2 is so immersive it's really like being in Star Wars.

Im of the understanding you're pretty tech/computer savvy, Fozz? 

What hardware specs are you going for on the upgrade?

I'm novice/intermediate when it comes to hardware, PC building. So I found a guy on YouTube called JaysTwoCents who does hardware reviews, build advice etc. Pretty good resource if you want to brush up on skills or understanding and how to save money by prioritising parts etc

I'm using a computer I already have, with an Intel i7, 3.4 GHz 8 core processor. Upgraded the RAM from 16 GB to 32 GB because it was cheap, which is significantly more than most games require, but it frees me up to do other things like video editing. The weakest point is the GPU, which hasn't be delivered yet. It's an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 with 4GB of memory, but again, it was pretty cheap and I need something. It can always be upgraded in the future, and will still play most games, even if I won't get the best graphics out of it. But, really, I don't need top of the line graphics on every single game I play. Also upgraded to a 2 TB SSD for my main hard drive.

It's amazingly fast for just general use right now. Windows loads in the blink of an eye, and I haven't really had to wait for anything. 

Yeah the GPU looks like the only weak link in your setup. 32GB of ram will be great for editing, and the extra RAM might make up for the lower amount of VRAM on your GPU. Keep an eye out for deals on 30 series Nvidia cards, as I keep reading articles about price drops, deals and slashes. They'll be back at MSRP in no time I think. 

I could have hooked you up with an EVGA GTX 1080 (8GB) Classified for a pretty decent price. It's way more powerful than a 1660 Ti.

Yeah, the prices have come down. They're currently about 15 to 20% over MSRP, with the exceptions being the 3080 TI, 3090 and 3090 Ti. I picked up an Asus Strix RTX 3060 Ti OC for $650 about a month ago, to replace the 1080 I had connected to the 4K PC in the living room. A vanilla 3060 can be had for under $500.

I highly recommend checking out Game Pass Fozzy. You can sign up and get 3 months for a $1 and then they'll charge you $10 a month for membership. You can always cancel after the 3 months are over. You definitely need to try our Forza Horizon 4. I'd also recommend 5, but you'll have to turn down some setting to run with that GPU, even at 1080p.

1 hour ago, Gamevet said:

I could have hooked you up with an EVGA GTX 1080 (8GB) Classified for a pretty decent price. It's way more powerful than a 1660 Ti.

I got it cheap enough that I’ll be able to use it for a couple months and then sell it for at least what I paid, and probably a profit. In that time, I’ll get the last of my inheritance from my mom, part of which is set aside for an upgrade. 

The goal for this was everything under $500, and I managed it. 

I plan on signing up for Game Pass as soon as the GPU comes, which should be by Monday. I’m also excited because my son is going to a summer camp in Pennsylvania for a week and my wife is planning on taking our daughters camping while I stay home and work. Which means I’ll have a week to myself to play whatever games I want.

Yeah, you probably didn't have the power supply that would handle that card.

I don't if you like RTS games, but I highly recommend Sins of a Solar: Rebellion. I'm a big Star Craft fan and I actually like Sins a whole lot more. I've pretty much completed every Steam achievement on that game and I still keep coming back to. So much so, that I'm currently running a Star Wars modded version of the game.

54 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

I plan on signing up for Game Pass as soon as the GPU comes, which should be by Monday. I’m also excited because my son is going to a summer camp in Pennsylvania for a week and my wife is planning on taking our daughters camping while I stay home and work. Which means I’ll have a week to myself to play whatever games I want.

If you’re getting Games Pass, Age of Empires IV might be worth a check in, that’s the only place (I think) you can play it. It’s one of the only MS games they put on the PC games pass and not Xbox. 

On 4/13/2022 at 10:46 AM, Hobbes said:

Rimworld--it may be my favorite game of all time. 

Reading about this game I always think I'd really like it, but I get bored with SIM games when I don't get any action. I know it's such a dumb point of view, but I get bored otherwise. I DO love sim aspects to games though. I think that's why I love Fallout 4 and Stace of Decay 1/2. The are 3rd person action games, but you have to manage your settlements like you would in a sim game. Difference is, when you are low on a resource, instead of clicking to send foraging party, you control the action by going out in the world and scavenging. Then there's stories along the way.

I just need the right combination of things. Strong narrative content, 3rd person action, some level of RPG and/or SIM action that requires me to allocate skills for my playstyle and goals. And either an open world, or an on-the-rails game with lots of hub worlds that function as free-exploration areas.

Surprisingly, I have trouble finding these games-- mainly because most of them are fantasy, which... ehhh. Feel like the last couple years I've been playing the same games over and over.

Have you played Witcher 3 Wild Hunt, Driver?

It ticks so many of your boxes I think youd love it. Very story driven. Open world sandbox, and 3rd person.  I know you don't like fantasy, but the design is rooted very much in low fantasy/historical stuff. It's dark/middle ages design..the fantasy stuff is based on Polish and Slavic folklore so it's much more realistic than say.. lord of the rings or world of Warcraft fantasy. You play a set character, but then you also play as a female character for part of the game too. But the story telling is some of the best work in any AAA game ever. 

I'll throw in Assassin's Creed: Odyssey! I hadn't played an AC game since 3 but was pulled back in with this entry due to the ancient Greece setting. If you get it, play as Kassandra, she is the better main character IMO. The dialogue choices will be the same but the voice acting for her is awesome.

I tried, I hated it. It already had marks against it being fantasy, but I DID unexpectedly love Inquisition so I have it a shot.

I hated the feel of ii— the controls seemed counter intuitive, the response awkward,  and the combat just sort of unrefined. I know I’m in the minority, but it just didn’t FEEL fun to play.

On 4/14/2022 at 8:04 PM, Tank said:

Reading about this game I always think I'd really like it, but I get bored with SIM games when I don't get any action. I know it's such a dumb point of view, but I get bored otherwise. I DO love sim aspects to games though.

Rimworld is a survival game.  Some people just turn down the difficulty level to make a cool base. 

There are different difficulty settings (frequency events occur), intensity levels (how powerful those events can be), and different storyteller modes (problems gradually get harder, super punishing events but with lots of time in between, completely random, etc).  You can start naked on an ice sheet--good luck surviving one day.  At the end of the game, once you build and power up your ship to escape, you have almost non-stop raids for 15 in-game days.  Whatever you pick, the story is procedural generated.  You die from a infestation, reload your last save, and you may not get that infestation again.  Your first day your character could malaria and then get attacked by a wild bear.  The game does not care.  It isn't fair.  You could play perfect and still lose. 

You have raids of four kinds--local raiders, mechanoids, maneating hordes of animals, and insect infestations.  Each one poses a unique mechanic--further still is that each of those has multiple mechanics to use.  For example, raiders can sap your walls, launch mortar attacks, or just the conventional attack. 

You can run the colony like you want (pick an ideology) --hippie tree huggers, slave traders, for-profit drug cartel, nerdy academics, whatever.  Each pawn has their own personality.  Some have extreme traits--pyromaniacs, misogynists, cannibal, addictions, etc.  Some may hate the way you run their colony and may be upset if they like slaves and you don't have any slaves and vice versa.  I usually just kill off troublesome colonists off and harvest their organs. 

1 hour ago, Tank said:

I tried, I hated it. It already had marks against it being fantasy, but I DID unexpectedly love Inquisition so I have it a shot.

I hated the feel of ii— the controls seemed counter intuitive, the response awkward,  and the combat just sort of unrefined. I know I’m in the minority, but it just didn’t FEEL fun to play.

Weird, I thought the controls and fighting were pretty fluid. Now Valhalla, on the other hand, feels like a big step backward in gameplay! I still haven't finished that one.

Got the GPU today. Took a minute to get things running, but I picked up Cyberpunk 2077 on Steam (50% off!) and started it.  It’s beautiful. Loaded up Arkham Knight, which I got a while ago from Humble Bundle even though I couldn’t play it. It’s also incredibly beautiful and even with my lesser graphics card still looks better than the PS4 version. I’m happy, although I need to get some work done because I took too much time to do this when I should be working.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.