So Will Smith

Metropolis

If your snapping point is that stupid of a joke, you’re an absolute piece of shit. His Oscar should be taken away and he should have a lifetime ban from the Academy. Of course it won’t happen, but violent bullies have no place in society. 

I mean cracking a joke at the expense of someone's alopecia is pretty low too. Itd be like cracking a "shake a leg" joke at someone in a wheelchair. It's gonna go down depending on how sensitive a person is about their disability/condition. Sure it was an overreaction, but it doesn't make Will Smith a bully or a piece of shit. For me that would require repetitive examples of shit behaviour. Like Russel Crowe or Mel Gibson for example.

26 minutes ago, Odine said:

I mean cracking a joke at the expense of someone's alopecia is pretty low too. Itd be like cracking a "shake a leg" joke at someone in a wheelchair. It's gonna go down depending on how sensitive a person is about their disability/condition. Sure it was an overreaction, but it doesn't make Will Smith a bully or a piece of shit. For me that would require repetitive examples of shit behaviour. Like Russel Crowe or Mel Gibson for example.

Once you physically attack someone, that’s game over. That doesn’t come from nowhere. Especially when you’re at the Oscars where you have to know there’s a danger of any celebrity being mocked for anything. Had he just yelled, that would be one thing. Had he been standing right next to Chris Rock, that’d be something else too. He took the time to stand up, walk on stage, and attack someone. He’s a piece of shit, end of story. 

1 hour ago, Odine said:

Did the joke cross the line? Not at first apparently. You clearly see Will Smith laughing at it at first. Jada didn't like the joke so she said something to him. For him to go onstage and hit Rock for it was bull. Regina Hall calling out their "open" marriage earlier in the show seemed more over the line, and that seems more personal than a hair joke. Of course he wasn't going to go to there and hit a woman. Smith is lucky he hit someone 1) smaller than him 2) professional enough to get past what just happened and finish his presentation. Imagine if it were someone would have retaliated. 

Of course the Oscars have to be excited that this is the most attention they've gotten in years.

To be honest, the "get my wife's name out your fucking mouth" that came after it was more shocking than the slap.

Whatever. Like Krawlie says, it's gonna be forgotten in no time. People (myself included) have been punched for less. 

Prolly the most genuine human interaction that's ever happened at an Oscars ceremony.

I’m mostly annoyed that I feel pressure from social media, and even this thread, that I have to pick a side. No one here is saying that I do, but we’ve all been clearly conditioned to have to pick a side once we see people voicing an opinion online.

…besides, Oscar wins are generally the result of campaigning on the part of studios to Academy members and everyone involved is generally rich enough that they have long left the accept led rules of living in a society far behind. Chris Rock and Will Smith both went home with gift bags full of enough swag that could be sold to feed a low income family for months.

I think all the darker rumors about how Will and Jada’s open marriage was not initially consensual and that Will felt, sorry for the bluntness here, cuckolded is probably true. I think they and the Church of Scientology probably had them do whatever alien zoomba chants were necessary to move forward, but healing takes time. I think that because of this Will is emotionally raw, which is displayed in his absent gazes often captured on film in interviews, and encapsulated by how he chose to “apologize” to the Academy. That being he rationalized that he was a protector now, and must do what needs to be done to save women. A position he carried out here with extreme aggressiveness, if not what people call out as toxic masculinity. His action appears to have been intended to display dominance rather than dutiful defense. Which all slides back into the rumors he felt cuckolded, his actions seem to directly “protest” that assumption about his manhood.

But I don’t even play a doctor on tv, so.

As for Chris Rock’s joke, if he knew Jada suffered from alopecia then he’s tremendously callous here. If he didn’t know it’s unfortunate for him.

42 minutes ago, Spider-Man said:

I think all the darker rumors about how Will and Jada’s open marriage was not initially consensual and that Will felt, sorry for the bluntness here, cuckolded is probably true. I think they and the Church of Scientology probably had them do whatever alien zoomba chants were necessary to move forward, but healing takes time. I think that because of this Will is emotionally raw, which is displayed in his absent gazes often captured on film in interviews, and encapsulated by how he chose to “apologize” to the Academy. That being he rationalized that he was a protector now, and must do what needs to be done to save women. A position he carried out here with extreme aggressiveness, if not what people call out as toxic masculinity. His action appears to have been intended to display dominance rather than dutiful defense. Which all slides back into the rumors he felt cuckolded, his actions seem to directly “protest” that assumption about his manhood.

But I don’t even play a doctor on tv, so.

As for Chris Rock’s joke, if he knew Jada suffered from alopecia then he’s tremendously callous here. If he didn’t know it’s unfortunate for him.

This is a good observation, but if Will Smith's brain tells him that the time to react is in front of millions of people at an event on which he is one small part of, that's a very privileged and warped point of view.

And you're not wrong about Rock, but he comes from stand up. In the current cancel/accountability climate, people tend to forget that the OG rules for stand up were if you're doing a bit, you can say literally whatever you want.

20 minutes ago, Tank said:

This is a good observation, but if Will Smith's brain tells him that the time to react is in front of millions of people at an event on which he is one small part of, that's a very privileged and warped point of view.

And you're not wrong about Rock, but he comes from stand up. In the current cancel/accountability climate, people tend to forget that the OG rules for stand up were if you're doing a bit, you can say literally whatever you want.

I would say even more, comedy was expected to be offensive. 

This whole thing reminds me of Michael Che and Colin Jost trading jokes on Weekend Update - the only good part of SNL. Jost read a joke that was mocking his own fiancee. He did it and laughed, maybe a little uncomfortably, but he didn't hit anyone.

But Diddy says it's all good.

Also, that slap was not at all "manly". 

2 minutes ago, Zathras said:

What I would like to know is why there were no charges pressed?  Why do the Oscars get a pass?   If I did that at a work function, I would be arrested. 

Because the victim gets to decide if they’re pressing charges.

Just now, Zathras said:

Then Will Smith is lucky and should be thanking Chris Rock.  Assuming it wasn't all staged, anyway. 

I don’t think Chris Rock is good enough of an actor to fake it. 

2 hours ago, Tank said:

I’m mostly annoyed that I feel pressure from social media, and even this thread, that I have to pick a side. No one here is saying that I do, but we’ve all been clearly conditioned to have to pick a side once we see people voicing an opinion online.

I get takes like Krawlie's and Odine's. Frankly you can chalk it up to what Chris Rock called " the greatest moment in the history of television." For me though how were got from point A(the joke) to point B(the slap) doesn't add up. That joke didn't warrant that response. Especially seeing as other people already joked about their fucked up marriage earlier. The responses that I'm seeing today kinda mirror my take on it. He only did it because it was Chris Rock. The most professional response I saw was someone saying the moment the producer in his ear told them they were at commercial they would have went into the crowd and whipped his ass.

As for this story dying? It's an entertainment story so it should go till the ends of the week at least. I can't imagine comedians letting this go though. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.