Someone stole my catalytic converter

Came home from dropping the kids off at school and noticed there was a huge block behind my car. Thought it was just a cruel prank to mess up the car, but when I tried to move it I realized they had stolen the catalytic converter. Called insurance, filed a claim, got a rental, and waiting on someone to come look at it.

4 minutes ago, Darth Krawlie said:

that's... really weird

It takes 5-10 minutes and they can sell them for up to $700. It’s a super common theft.

2 minutes ago, Darth Krawlie said:

that's nuts. never even heard of that happening before

It’s been rapidly increasing over the past couple years. I obviously hear about it more because of my job, but it’s an easy way to get some money. 

The other thing that is amazing is how much it really helps with fumes. Just moving it 10 feet, when I got out I thought I was going to pass out.

Yeah, they saw them off. Takes 5 minutes or less. They don’t care about it being useful, they’re selling it for scrap. Get a few hundred bucks for 5 minutes “work”

The precious metals used to make a catalytic convertor are the most expensive ones available on the planet. Rhodium and Palladium are valued at a much higher price than gold. I had a coworker that had his stolen from his Toyota pickup while working downtown several years ago. They can be sawed off with an electric saw in less than a minute. 

https://www.cars.com/articles/whats-a-catalytic-converter-and-why-do-people-steal-them-446861/

I bought a security camera to install on our garage, need to get some security lights too. Make it super obvious that you don’t want to mess with our house.

• 1 month later...

Two company trucks had their CC ripped off last week, while the guys were working downtown. I was pretty leary about parking my truck in an open lot, while I was working downtown on Thursday. I'd heard that one of our office managers had his CC stolen from his Toyota Tundra as well. It turns out that Toyota's CCs have the most valuable metals in them.

Yeah, I panic parking near school right now. I really don't want to replace this item on my paid off Prius.

I went to Habitat for Humanity and bought some defunct cameras and put them up on the patio and car port with some fake stickers about video surveillance cameras being up and that's worked so far for 15 bucks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.