My parents' ashes danced in midair

monkeygirl

So, the Girl Trip this year was mostly business for me since my parents' death. Mom passed on December 6th, so now, I own a condo in Florida. (Let me know if you want a cheap vacation in Seminole 4 miles from the beach). I haven't been through probate yet and now I have to file not only my own but my Mom's taxes.

Anyway, I had their ashes scattered together from a little plane. My Dad had been a pilot in the Air Force and it was his wish-my Mom just wanted to be with him. They took pics and video for me and it was very emotional, unexpectedly.

The whole package had to be biodegradable so it was just a bag with the ashes in it. But something unexpected happened. The ashes just hung in mid-air, like a small cloud until they disappeared. I had expected them to just dissipate immediately but they didn't. The pilot made almost a full circle around them before they were gone. My Dad's ashes were dark grey-my Mom's looked like sand and you can even make out the two different colors for a few seconds.

It was such an emotional moment! I don't know why, but "Moondance" ran through my head the first time I watched the video, even though it was a beautiful, sunny day. I "saw" them dance together on the wind.

It gave me a great sense of closure.

Now, I have to go through all my Mom's stuff and that just seems impossible. But for a few minutes, I flet okay about their deaths.

Of course, now I'm home, I question everything I did, but this moment is still good by itself. I know exactly what each of them wanted and I was able to make that happen. I can't believe how much that means to me.

Someone on Facebook recently brought this up and let me echo and expand; if your people are still alive, make sure you say everything you need to say, ask all the questions you have and get as many pics with them as possible. Some day it'll all be incredibly important to you.

I lost my parents 10 years and 8 days apart. There are lots of picture of my mom with other family members, but very few with me or my kids. Super regret that.

Oh Tami! I got feels for you! 

Tina and I are waiting to spread Mom's ashes when the bluebonnets bloom here in spring. Today we planted some plants Mom loved such as a strawberry sizzle geranium and some sanservia. We still question a lot of stuff too that we did but it was in Covid times so I guess we can write off our weird remembrance funeral at Nan's house with just family. I mean Mom had absolutely no friends. An obituary was a waste we think but now I wonder if old co-workers would have liked to go to her funeral.

Yeah, I have obit regrets, especially with my Dad-he was The Friend of the People-never met a stranger type. There are probably a ton of people who wonder what ever became of that old man who used to buy them drinks. My Mom wanted me to make up shit to put in her obituary, like she invented Comet cleanser and all sorts of not true things. I really regret not doing that. She would have loved that shit.

I have no idea what I'm doing with it yet, I still have to go through probate. I'm not sure the HOA will allow me to rent it out, I have to check.

I initially wanted to just move-it's paid off so HOA and taxes is all I pay, but my company is now saying we can't work remotely after two plus years of us working remotely and after a good 1/4 of our staff has already moved out of state without telling them. I may just move when my current lease is up and let the chips fall where they may. I really don't want to be in Florida all year, though and I don't know how to make bi-coastal work with cats

I miss my Mom so much, especially after the last few years with my Dad gone and spending so much time on the phone with her. SO many things she would have found funny, I have nobody to tell them to

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.