Amazon LotR

RUAJedi2

I’ve watched the LOTR movies at least 3 times each, I saw all the Hobbit movies in the theater, and I’ve read The Hobbit and LOTR twice. But, I don’t feel any personal connection to any of it, the way a lot of fans seem to. So if it’s good, awesome. If it’s bad, I hope it’s the right level of bad to at least be fun for the first episode.

37 minutes ago, The Choc said:

The fact that the worst part of fandom is angry over there being black characters already makes this show awesome and worthwhile. 

I am out of the loop I guess. People are actually upset over this for real?  Sheesh.  But then again I am not surprised.  

Well yeah because all of Tolkiens characters are white basically. However if you actually read the books and understand the entire point of the story its really about people of different races putting aside differences and making common cause. The whiteness of the characters is simply a result of the time and place Tolkien was in and its hard to think he wouldn;t embrace a more diverse depiction of Middle Earth today. 

I agree with the thoughts here, but I’m hopeful for it. I read the books many, many times before the films came out, and I was mightily impressed with what Peter Jackson achieved. The cuts and adjustments were just right.
Only managed to read The Silmarillion twice - it’s hard to get going with the time frame being so huge, but very rewarding when involved.
Fingers crossed they get this to work!

On 2/26/2022 at 5:26 PM, Zathras said:

I am out of the loop I guess. People are actually upset over this for real?  Sheesh.  But then again I am not surprised.  

Remember when Hunger Games fans were upset because they cast a Black actress to play a Black character? People are the worst parts of any fandom. 

We also need to keep in mind that a lot of these “people” in all of these situations are Russian trolls and bots. There’s some racist fans, but a lot of them wouldn’t even care without Putin telling them to be upset.

3 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

man wheel of time started off kind of okay but that season ended so so badly

So I'm not missing anything! I only read up to book 5 of that series before dropping it, it just seemed to drag on too much.

They fired Tom Shippey, all the promo pics look like slightly well photographed cosplay or a mid-tier CW series at best, they made the bewildering decision to recast Galadriel and Elrond, they’re apparently going to be truncating the timeline so they can fit most of the events into a single human lifespan, but if Tom Bombadil shows up before the first season finale then all is forgiven.

I watched them when my last daughter was born. Fellowship and Return of the King hold up, Two Towers is still horrible. 

I watched them all (in 4K mmmm 'sploosh) on September 21 and it was a lovely experience; I don't often do a back to back to back of the EE, but it really is an experience to sit down and do it and see how well it just flows together. And as far as The Hobbit is concerned, they aren't perfect but they aren't nearly as bad as we all made them out to be. Maybe it's because some really subpar efforts have come out that have just made The Hobbit productions just a bit more polished by comparison within the last decade, but the films do make more of a positive impact on the LOTR film trilogy with what Jackson and Co. achieved. I would have done things a bit differently - the Necromancer subplot could have been it's own film and I have a rap sheet of editorial changes I would make with The Hobbit material - but I don't hate them. Behind the MCU and the Planet of the Apes trilogy, Hobbit was probably third overall in franchises during the teens.

As for the Amazon production: the trailer didn't leave me with any red flags. Pretty sure you can't bring back Blanchett and Weaving if they're supposed to be Galadriel and Elrond in what would probably be their Elven 20s. Give me the Pilot before I make any real condemnation on it.

On 3/7/2022 at 12:06 AM, Fozzie said:

I watched them when my last daughter was born. Fellowship and Return of the King hold up, Two Towers is still horrible. 

Agreed. Shame as The Two Towers is my favourite of the 3 books, but all the items they moved to the end of Fellowship or the early part of Return of the King just takes away a lot of great stuff.

This show has disaster written all over it.  Some of the changes they're making are just blasphemy.  The reason Jackon's films were successful and so well received by fans is that he respected the source material.  Amazon is butchering the lore, and it gives the appearance that they either aren't that knowledgeable of Tolkien's works, or they just don't care enough to do it justice.   Supposedly there are wizards in the show.  Wizards didn't come to Middle-Earth until after the Battle of Last Alliance at the beginning of the third age.  Events that were separated by centuries are now happening in the span of a couple of years?  I can see why this isn't being well received by much of the fandom.  This was supposed to be a Tolkien adaptation, but you can only take so many liberties before it becomes a different animal altogether.  

• 4 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.