Say something nice about another member

In a lot of ways, we’re like any other group of old friends - we really like each other, but we frequently show it through jokes and insults. So let’s take a thread where we can speak positively about others and honor them.

I intend to post about many people, but I’m going to start with Cerina:

As someone who struggles with organization, I really respect your organizational skills, and how they allow you to do so much. You’re a homeschooling mom who runs her own business and is the longest running regularly active admin on this site (JA and Mandard not being regularly active), and you have everything organized so well. My work area is a total mess, covered in a mix of personal papers, papers for my mom’s estate, and work stuff. I’ve also got like 3 phones, and a bunch of odds and ends, so I really wish I had your organizational skills.

Cerina is one of the most capable people I've ever met

Iceheart is a badass in every sense of the word and way stronger than she realizes

Tank is one of the best writers and I'm insanely jealous of his talent and work ethic

Monkeygirl is too sweet for this world and deserves better

Destiny is also incredibly badass and has been excessively kind and helpful to me of late

Fozzie and Torch are the best fathers on Nightly bar none

Met rules if for no other reason than he's the only person who still posts in the wrestling forum with me

Zathras is super fun to go to geek stores and drink beer with and hope to do it again soon

Choc has some very astute analysis, whether it's for sports, Star Wars, pop culture, or the real world that always makes me think, whether I agree or not

ten and I'm out of steam, so if you didn't make the cut clearly you're the worst

Krawlie and Icy are 2 of my most favorite people in the world. At this point in life, they're the only friends I have that I consistently rely on for emotional support, practical advice, and general entertainment. If I ever win the lottery, I'm buying us a commune to live on with our families.

Krawlie has one of the best senses of humor I have ever encountered. After 15 years we have several running jokes that no one else gets. He can never fail to make somebody laugh....

.... just ask anyone who’s seen his junk.

Lots of people who no longer post here and haven’t been around here for years (decades?) still loom large in my memory. Mostly the people who were roughly around my age : JangRail, Padawan_Learner, Darth Whoever, Darth Sockimus, Randall00, spike, I’m forgetting the precise user names of a few individuals (and maybe I’m a little confused about who is who) but there’s one or two more.

Is that something nice? I don’t know. Wish I could say something nice about the people who still post here and are around here but those people mean nothing to me, they are less than dirt in my eyes, I do not care about them at all. Please don’t tell them though! I don’t want to hurt their feelings! Keep my secret for me!

On 2/25/2022 at 11:31 AM, Spider-Man said:

The Human Torch is a really great guy, I love him dearly.

I really look up to you in a lot of ways. The way you just don’t seem to give a crap about how people might see your hilarious insanity to the way you manage to share the struggles and joy in parenting at the same time. Based on what you share, you’re the type of dad I want to be, so Krawlie’s comment was super honoring to me.

Krawlie has a lot of great qualities, but his best is that he’s hilarious and irreverent and somehow caring all at the same time. Somehow he manages to say stuff that would be horrible coming from other people, but it comes across completely different from him. It’s another thing I wish I could manage, and when I try it frequently just comes across as being a dick.

Despite posting like a maniac back in the day, I never really got to know many members very well.  Maybe I did and I'm not giving myself enough credit.  Anyway, I'm honestly jealous of so many of you here being so close, but not in a negative or resentful way.  I think it's really awesome....especially after this much time has passed. 

I think that you’re as much one of us as anyone who has been here nonstop. The way you hopped in was awesome, and you’re an awesome guy.

Tank/Driver is also a hell of a good guy. We’re polar opposites in most ways, but he’s always super respectful and interested in hearing my input. I also know people who have some success in more niche fields and they’re insufferable. And while it’s fun to give Tank crap about being a Hollywood douchebag, in reality I think he’s worked against that to the point that he’s probably less of one than when he first started the journey to where he is - and that’s no small feat. He’s also incredibly selfless and giving, and vulnerable in a way that always challenges me and calls me on. 

Cerina is a badass boss mom. I am pretty sure she could run a small country if raising 3 boys didn't keep her so busy.

Iceheart, I admire how you keep on keeping on and find your own path. I know right now you are in a ton of pain, but remember its a marathon not a sprint.

Krawlie is a great story teller. When you aren't one lining us (which is still funny as heck and well timed), I really do enjoy your thoughts.

Ender, thank you for being such a passionate educator. Your love for your students is so obvious.

Torch, I've always enjoyed how you kept it real. Back in the old days you were like the fun uncle here in the Cantina, watching us crazy kids.

Tank, you love things that I am normally not into (horror, boner pills) and yet I love your stories anyway. Thanks for always introducing me to new things outside of my normal world view. Also I love how irreverent you are and your hot takes.

Fozzie, you are such a calm, rational person that it makes me jealous.

I feel like Jedigoat, I have posted here for a long time but I am not friends with anyone off board...but it doesn't matter, I love all you people.   This place has gotten me through some tough times for OVER two decades--and it has been a collective effort.  The vast majority of which, I never posted about.  But just knowing there was another group of nerds that were just trying to get by in this world by sharing and celebrating their ups and pulling for each other in their downs makes it feel like in the end, we are all gonna make it. 

I do want to pour one out to all the nightly members whom no longer post. 

pour-one-out-for-the-homies.gif.c0f3b9cd87874e5625e8cb3bfb3cc481.gif

Hobbes is incredibly caring about his job and his family. He’s also incredibly smart to the point that the two times I’ve hung out with him, he was a little intimidating. Super fun, but he’d ask me things or say things that it takes me a little bit of time to understand. Not that it’s hard to find someone smarter than me, but he’s very impressive.

Goat is the goat. Been around forever but never involved in any drama. He’s just awesome all the time.

Jacen is also a great dude. The puns are obvious, but he comes out with some great analysis and reads on things that I really enjoy reading.

I think Brando, even as somebody who is very different from me, is incredibly stalwart and sure of who he is (even if he denies it.) 

When I think of the phrase “strong character” Brando comes to mind. He so seems to face more strife, adversity, and straight up bad shit than more than anyone else I know. Despite this, despite the up and downs, and even if he has bouts of struggling with mental health, he never lets any of it change who he is at his core. Morally speaking, there’s not anyone else stronger here. So many times when he tells stories I think to myself “Oh I’d have told that guy off, oh I would have hit him, oh I would have burned that shit down, oh I’d have totally banged that girl,” and I learn how I could be a bit more responsible and even-keeled. Brandon is nighlty’s true north.

Brando is the man.  Along with Cerina, this place would not exist without him.  He is always the sound of reason in the room, but also has a great sense of humor

Krawlie is just plain awesome and fun to be around and is the only member I met in person so far.  Had a blast with him in San Diego last summer and hope to do it again!

Spam is someone I relate to because she has been through a lot of similar family issues as I, and I am not sure how she does it.  She handles things with grace and far better than I can.

MG was awesome to meet in Zoom, and it was hilarious to see a homeless dude try to jump in her car on Zoom.

Destiny Skywalker is probably one of the smartest people I know, and I work at a university so that is saying something.

Cerina is a very caring individual and when I was having problems a while back, she was always one of the first to post sympathy and advice.

Hobbes is incredibly nice and I really loved Zoom hanging with him.

Captain Bleh hasn't been around but another one I met on Zoom and we spent literally all night drunk talking.  He's a saint putting up with me LOL

Jedi Goat is also another I met on Zoom and he is non-judgemental and just a nice dude.

Jacen was also nice to talk to on Zoom and has some hilarious posts like Krawlie.

Tank is a prolific writer and I especially love to read his posts about his insider institutional knowledge on the movie business.

Choc seems like a great guy and he has strong, logical points that always make me think  and question my point of view. 

RUA is another person I met on Zoom that is both funny and very friendly.

THT is someone I often find I agree with and would love to have a beer with someday.

I know I may have left a few other people off this list, but this applies to you ALL, whether you are on this list or not. Thank you ALL for being such a great group and you have all gotten me through a lot over the years!  This site is like a family and I appreciate you all listening to me when I post.

Krawlie is way smarter than he lets on, which is good. 

Tank is smart, and I admire him for making it in a notoriously difficult industry.

Ms. Spam apparently has more fortitude than any ten other people put together.

If the zombie apocalypse occurs, I want to be on Cerina's team. 

Jedigoat is the cool I wish I was.

Who'd I miss?

5 hours ago, Tank said:

I think Brando, even as somebody who is very different from me, is incredibly stalwart and sure of who he is (even if he denies it.) 

When I think of the phrase “strong character” Brando comes to mind. He so seems to face more strife, adversity, and straight up bad shit than more than anyone else I know. Despite this, despite the up and downs, and even if he has bouts of struggling with mental health, he never lets any of it change who he is at his core. Morally speaking, there’s not anyone else stronger here. So many times when he tells stories I think to myself “Oh I’d have told that guy off, oh I would have hit him, oh I would have burned that shit down, oh I’d have totally banged that girl,” and I learn how I could be a bit more responsible and even-keeled. Brandon is nighlty’s true north.

I’m really touched by this, and all the kind things — honestly, when I started this thread I didn’t even think about people saying nice things about me. So it’s been a nice surprise.

Destiny is probably the most driven person I’ve ever met. She knows what she wants and she gets it. Whether that’s becoming a fricking rocket scientist or learning all about the care her children need, and fighting for me. It amazes me that you’re so amazing at so many things, but the one connection is your drive, while never being pushy or coming across as looking down on others who don’t share that same drive. You’re always quick with an encouraging word, and I can’t tell you how many times that’s been the thing that’s kept me from giving up. Having someone like you in my corner makes me feel like I can do anything, too.

Tank is inspirational af. I often think about that time he was considering a career change and then like within a year or so a movie he wrote was being filmed. This pops in my head whenever I start to feel defeated about long terms goals and want to quit; I imagine how silly it would have been for him to quit at that time, and it keeps me going. One time he also said something along the lines of "it's amazing how simple it is to be a good parent by just being with your kid and being there for them". I also think about that often when I start to feel less than in my parenting, and I'm reminded that a good portion of parenting is simply caring enough to put in the effort and show up. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.