Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Zathras

Oh no! More nothing!

Nothing #5

The apocalypse! Brought to you by Applebee's! Again! The Onion had this bit that they did where Applebee’s was making advertisements for ironic hipsters to attend their restaurants as just a goof for them to make fun of it AND ALSO sincere well-meaning patrons who just wanted something to eat in this awful world. Applebee’s! Come enjoy our nonexistent salad bar!

Nothing #6

NLRVlbQ.jpg

Let me make this perfectly clear. Putin is both Chancellor Palpatine and Darth Sidious. The Ukrainian people and all those who stand up for democracy around the world and here in America are Rey Skywalker — canonically the child of a clone of Putin and the assassin lady from Killing Eve. No, not Sandrah Oh. We’re all not the daughter of Eve herself! We’re all the other one’s kid! We’re all Putin’s grandchildren. Are we on the same page so far? Okay, good. Now bear with me because here’s where it gets tricky. We’re also all Jyn Erso. We’ve been dead for decades now because our father Hannibal Lecter was forced to make a superweapon as part of Putin’s nefarious schemes. No, not Anthony Hopkins! No, not Brian Cox! The guy! The guy! Mads Mikkelsen! Putin is our grandpa and Mads Mikkelsen is our dad! Look, it’s simple. We’re all part of the Rebel Alliance and a traitor. Take us away!”

This is what happens when the world goes crazy. We elected a weak president who gave up key things or was ineffectual. Now we have Biden. I think we're bad at the election game. I feel like based on what we are hearing from the Ukraine that it's either going to lead to full out war again or we'll just wimp out and go to our isolationist ways.

1 hour ago, Ms. Spam said:

This is what happens when the world goes crazy. We elected a weak president who gave up key things or was ineffectual. Now we have Biden. I think we're bad at the election game. I feel like based on what we are hearing from the Ukraine that it's either going to lead to full out war again or we'll just wimp out and go to our isolationist ways.

Either millions will die in a nuclear war or Russia will take over a few countries that aren’t in NATO. Putin is making it clear he’s ready for nuclear war. Hopefully it’s just posturing but that’s what so many people were saying about Ukraine. I think we need to at least strongly consider that we’re looking at mutually assured destruction if we stand up to him too much.

I rather doubt Putin will go down the path of MAD.  I think he is just posturing right now.  The thing is I think he expected to have taken over Ukraine by now and miscalculated both the world's reaction (thinking it would be a replay of 2014), and didn't count on the Chinese slowly distancing themselves from Putin.  They are neutral for now, but if this war drags out, I can see the Chinese grudgingly denouncing Putin's invasion eventually, if only to avoid sanctions themselves. 

5 hours ago, Zathras said:

I rather doubt Putin will go down the path of MAD.  I think he is just posturing right now.  The thing is I think he expected to have taken over Ukraine by now and miscalculated both the world's reaction (thinking it would be a replay of 2014), and didn't count on the Chinese slowly distancing themselves from Putin.  They are neutral for now, but if this war drags out, I can see the Chinese grudgingly denouncing Putin's invasion eventually, if only to avoid sanctions themselves. 

I agree with you, but as I said - everyone was saying that his troops on the border was just posturing not that long ago. I don’t think he would launch nukes, but at the same time, I’m not a sociopathic dictator with access to a massive army and humanity ending weaponry. I have no clue what this guy is going to do, but we need to at least take his threats seriously. 

10 hours ago, Fozzie said:

I agree with you, but as I said - everyone was saying that his troops on the border was just posturing not that long ago. I don’t think he would launch nukes, but at the same time, I’m not a sociopathic dictator with access to a massive army and humanity ending weaponry. I have no clue what this guy is going to do, but we need to at least take his threats seriously. 

I agree with you we need to take going on the nuclear forces on high alert seriously.  I am just saying I doubt he is actually going to launch first over Ukraine. 

We will see because they're meeting today to see if there can be a peaceful resolution. I am amazed by what's going on with the Ukrainians and they're fighting back. There was a huge line at a Ukrainian bakery and coffee shop here close to my school I work at where the lady said ANY profit made this weekend would go directly to the Ukrainian relief.

48 minutes ago, Zathras said:

I don't expect much from the peace talks today.  Russia is kind of committed to the war at this point, and Putin is not likely to withdraw before his goals are achieved.  If anything, Putin is just going to dictate terms for surrender.

100% this.

This is primarily for show — “See Western countries! We are trying for peace! Now don’t help or we will nuke you! Bye bye! We are good guys!”

Putin expected a blitzkrieg. That isn't happening. Russian military doesn't hold one Ukrainian city. Not a single one. Local Ukrainian militias are filled to the brim with people wanting to fight, to the point that they're turning people away now because they can't command that many people. Entire communities are making Molotov cocktails. Literally the whole country is United against Russia and everyone is doing something to aid the war effort. Russia is going to haemorrhage and slow death all over Ukraine. Unless of course they do employ tactical nuclear warheads which is a fucking terrifying prospect.

1 hour ago, Odine said:

Putin expected a blitzkrieg. That isn't happening. Russian military doesn't hold one Ukrainian city. Not a single one. Local Ukrainian militias are filled to the brim with people wanting to fight, to the point that they're turning people away now because they can't command that many people. Entire communities are making Molotov cocktails. Literally the whole country is United against Russia and everyone is doing something to aid the war effort. Russia is going to haemorrhage and slow death all over Ukraine. Unless of course they do employ tactical nuclear warheads which is a fucking terrifying prospect.

I don't think Putin will nuke Ukraine. I think he is going to double down on conventional warfare and pull Belarus into the fight, along with supply any Ukrainian rebels he can.

2 hours ago, Odine said:

Local Ukrainian militias are filled to the brim with people wanting to fight, to the point that they're turning people away now because they can't command that many people. Entire communities are making Molotov cocktails. Literally the whole country is United against Russia and everyone is doing something to aid the war effort. Russia is going to haemorrhage and slow death all over Ukraine.

Last week, I got in touch with a Ukrainian friend of mine from high school (who was an exchange student back then) and he was prepared to do whatever it took to defend his country.  I hope he comes out of this alright.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Winch said:

On one hand I'm like "war is not the answer."

On the other, I'm like (to the Ukrainians): "Make them bleed for every inch gained."

War is not the answer,  but sometimes it is necessary. There’s a HUGE difference between a war of aggression and defending your home and family.

And I get that a lot of the Russian soldiers don’t have any choice in being there, but at the same time, they’re actively trying to murder innocent non-combatants while launching a war of aggression at the order of a sociopath. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Winch said:

A sociopath whose only lasting legacy will be the near-universal sigh of relief when he finally dies.

And yet also a fear of what comes next. The devil that you know and all that.

29 minutes ago, Zathras said:

Virtually president-dictator for life, ex-KGB murderer, his wars of aggression, and putting his nuke force on high alert.  I don't think it can get much worse than Putin. 

If there’s one thing history has made clear, it can always get worse. But, I hear you. There’s hope, and I definitely will be toasting his death whenever it comes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.