Do you take your shoes off in your house? What animal could you kill in a fight?

Hobbes

I saw this the other day.  

I HATE taking my shoes off.  My wife has me take my shoes off--I have slippers and crocs, but they are not the same.   As I kid I never did, I am flat footed, and I have sensitive feet.  I don't like things that aren't my shoes or socks touching my feet.  Of course, I will take off my shoes if asked, I am not as inconsiderate as this author.  Yes, I understand the bottom of my shoes are dirty.  

Any other common house rules you have or you hate with other people?  Anything you take offense to people do when they visit?

Here is the other thing I HATE and I had a lot of friends that would pull this shit.  Invite me over for a cookout at 5 and they don't even start the grill till like 7.  I always pre-eat now for this very reason.  

image.png.c702dc01f1a3a2b9d1fca268d801e8c9.png

If I could never wear shoes in any situation, I'd be happy. Shoes are awful. My parents are the kind of people who get up in the morning, put on jeans, shoes, and socks, and wear them all day even if they're not leaving the house. It blows my mind.

We don't make people take their shoes off (well, we do make any kids do it) but I wish they would.

In my own home, I'd ideally be barefoot as much as possible, but the tiles in some rooms get super cold very easily, so I often wear slippers.  They are even more helpful now that we got rid of the carpet.  My wife takes off her shoes as soon as she comes in (since that is the typical easy Asians way) and wants me to do the same.  Fortunately, that works for me.  She wears house shoes most of the time, though, and encourages me to do the same.  She really doesn't like it if I have them on a foot the I have crossed over my other leg when I am sitting on the couch, though.  That makes it awkward sometimes by having to have one slipper on and one slipper off.  I really don't like that combination.

I used to feel weird taking off my shoes in other people's houses, but I'll do so if that's what everyone else is doing.  It doesn't feel as weird anymore, at least.  I don't think we've ever specifically asked people to do so or not when they are here.  So many of our friends/colleagues/grad students are used to having their shoes off that many prefer it anyway.

I'm like Krawlie's parents. I wear socks every day, and during the pandemic I've worn soccer sandals and slippers in the house so much that I actually wore out some very nice Ugg slippers. Had to get new ones because I couldn't find the soccer sandals for like 2 months (finally found it under something), and now I only wear the soccer sandals outside (or on my way to take something outside or to the garage) and the slippers only inside. I found my feet were getting sore walking on hardwood floors, even with socks on. My husband and kids hate shoes and socks and take them off immediately after coming home and leave socks all over the place. My husband especially hates people wearing shoes in the house, and he gets it from his mom. So we have a big shoe pile by the front door that he is also annoyed by but it signals to people that they better take off their shoes or he will secretly loathe them. He would like to take it a step further and have guest slippers for everyone who enters. I admittedly feel weird taking my shoes off but I do it because I know most people prefer it. Wearing my socks around feels kind of informal and like I think I'm more than a guest, I'm making myself at home.

Also, inviting people over for food, you better at least have a bowl of chips out when people arrive. And drinks ready. That's bad hosting.

Anyone who doesn't clean their floors (or make sure the floor is already clean) before they have guests over is weird. We are a shoes-off-indoors household. Its not so bad on the ground floor if shoes get worn, I'd prefer them off but not going to say anything if someone doesn't.. but upstairs is a definite no shoes zone.

And aside from the caveat about the ground floor, I usually make guests take their shoes off. The generally always do it automatically when they see all the shoes by the front door anyway.

We got slippers and indoor shoes aplenty in our home.

• Hobbes changed the title to Do you take your shoes off in your house? What animal could you kill in a fight?

I also saw this, and it made me think of whether or not I had shoes on...

image.png.665042eda76d671eacec4375391183b4.png

If I had shoes on, I definitely think I could kill the top four.  All the more reason to wear shoes.  I would just like kick them/ step on them.  

I think Chimpanzee and eagles are way underrated.  I watched a show on chimps and they would kill you for sure.  Chimps are pretty much the meanest animals in the animal kingdom including humans--they are the only species that kills their own for fun!    How would you beat an eagle...swooping down on you and shit?  Don't kangaroo have velociraptor level claws/talons on their feet?  I dunno--I think I saw a documentary on that in the 4th grade.  I think I would do okay against a large dog as long as they weren't trained. 

Who in the world thinks they could beat anything beyond a crocodile?  How would you even go about killing a elephant or a grizzly bear unarmed?

An angry goose is no joke man. 

No way could you kill a medium sized dog with your bare hands. Not if the dog is in the same fight/flight mentality. They gonna fuck a person up. Actually same with a house cat. I think a housecat going full-feral, whirling ball of fur and claws is going to be a lot more challenging than people think.

Unless you're trained in juijitsu and plan on choking out these animals I don't think the average Joe stands a chance. Unless people are assuming they are going up do a dosile version of these animals and killing them on the spot? In a fair fight..? Nah way. these people are full of shit.

1 minute ago, Odine said:

An angry goose is no joke man. 

No way could you kill a medium sized dog with your bare hands. Not if the dog is in the same fight/flight mentality. They gonna fuck a person up. 

Unless you're trained in juijitsu and plan on choking out these animals I don't think the average Joe stands a chance

To me, a medium sized dog is like 40-60 pounds.  My dog is 50lbs and I wouldn't want to mess with him, I think I could use my forearm to protect my face and neck from his bite while being able to grab its throat.  But again, I am assuming this isn't a trained dog that knows where to attack or a pit with an exceptionally strong jaw, but like a random goldendoodle or a smallish retriever.  I hear you on the goose, but I think at the end of the day I don't think it has the strength to kill me before I could grab its neck.  

I reckon most these animals will be able to get away before anyone has the chance to make the killing blow.

In life or death situation, these animals will do enough damage to get an opening and GTFO of there.

That's why our brains got big and we invented spears. Everyone else who tried to take on a smilodon in hand to hand wound up dead. Or lost the prey.

I also don't think domesticated animals have had the wild completely removed from them. When push comes to shove, nature will give them that instinct 

1 hour ago, Odine said:

I reckon most these animals will be able to get away before anyone has the chance to make the killing blow.

In life or death situation, these animals will do enough damage to get an opening and GTFO of there.

That's why our brains got big and we invented spears. Everyone else who tried to take on a smilodon in hand to hand wound up dead. Or lost the prey.

I also don't think domesticated animals have had the wild completely removed from them. When push comes to shove, nature will give them that instinct 

I took it as a fight to the death octagon style...only one escapes.  If the objective is just to escape, you are 100% correct.  I think all the animals on the list would get away.  

11 hours ago, Hobbes said:

I took it as a fight to the death octagon style...only one escapes.  If the objective is just to escape, you are 100% correct.  I think all the animals on the list would get away.  

Ah okay. I was going for realism..

Tell you the last thing I'd want to be in an octagon with and that's an Ostrich. Fuuuuuck that

I'm with Jacobe...if I could go barefoot all the time, I would. It just feels so much better to me and my feet tend to get hot in shoes and boots.

My apartment carpet is so crappy and I've been here 5 years so I don't care about shoes when others come over. I can't recall ever asking anyone to remove their shoes

I could kill a rat and maybe a very sick King Cobra but I'd be a wreck against the rest of that list.

This is good stuff. I"m taking this shit to Facebook later

I pretty much stayed locked up in the house for 2 weeks when my wife had Covid. Even wearing socks, the heels of my feet got so dry, that I had to sand them, then use lotion. It’s good to let your feet sweat in a pair of shoes.

Speaking of animals, none of us would likely survive a chimpanzee attack. They are about 2.5 times stronger than a human. There was a woman that got attacked by her friend’s  pet chimp. It tore her face off (which they like to do) and the owner couldn’t get the animal to stop. The police had to shoot the animal, to get him off of her. Then there was the incident where a young male was dragged under a fence at an animal reserve. They ripped one of his arms off. I’d imagine it was like that bar scene in The Book of Bobba Fett, where the Wookie ripped that other patron’s arm off, before dropping him to the floor.

I used to be a never-nude for feet. When I was a teen I had really smelly feet and I would avoid scenarios where I had to take my shoes off. When I started not wearing shoes at home my foot health got so much better. I tend to take my shoes off at the door now and I never ask anyone else to do it, but when they come in and see the pile of shoes they tend to just do it.

Thankfully my company is mostly women because I fucking hate HATE seeing men’s feet. Women’s feet remind me of a greek statue, dude feet make me think of some sort of mutant crustacean.

I think crocs are disgusting. Dudes who wear socks with sandals should die even though I appreciate the censorship.

I dont think I could kill anything bigger than a bug unless my safety depending on it.

Re: Shoes

When in Rome…

If someone says take them off or it is a known custom (such as in Japan), off they come. In my house, if you’re hanging out for an extended time, get comfy, take your shoes off if you want. Sorta really only mandatory for kids, as they have no sense of anything they are doing for the most part.

Re: Animal

Probably only some small animal, like an ant. ;-) Never thought about it, don’t see the need to plan for it. Might regret that during the inevitable animal uprising, or something.

I typically wear socks and slippers in the house, or at least socks. I’ll wear shoes sometimes when working because I like to stand and even on my standing mat the cold from our cement basement floor can be uncomfortable. My feet also get really dry and cracked and calloused during the winter, and I just finally did something about it for the first time this year. I put on Aquaphor and then socks and it’s super weird feeling but it’ll help.

I'll remove my shoes if asked, but I rent so I don't have such a rule in my house.  

As for harming or killing animals, I limit that to bugs and spiders.  I suppose hypothetically I could kill something more advanced if my safety or survival depended on it, but I am city folk and live half a mile away from a grocery store. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.