Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness!

CoLA

59 minutes ago, Tank said:

They definitely do things for trailers that don't make the movie... but this would be a new level of subterfuge!

Still not gonna put it past them. This seems like the kind of thing they would hide more than something they would advertise. 

DOFP and Deadpool added time travel to the X-films, and that’s adjacent to the multiverse. Logan is ostensibly a different universe than the rest of the X-films. Now that you have the other Spider-mens showing up, the door is open. Patrick Stewart is so synonymous with the part. They could have him in there as an alter and it could be nothing more than that.

all that said, I agree with you

I think that the MCU has the opportunity to take what’s good and ignore what’s bad. Hopefully that’s what they do. 
Basically keep some of the cast and ignore everything else.

12 hours ago, Tank said:

DOFP and Deadpool added time travel to the X-films, and that’s adjacent to the multiverse. Logan is ostensibly a different universe than the rest of the X-films. Now that you have the other Spider-mens showing up, the door is open. Patrick Stewart is so synonymous with the part. They could have him in there as an alter and it could be nothing more than that.

all that said, I agree with you

Maybe they'll pull another Boehner!

Enjoyed the trailer. Was told it had a No Way Home spoiler in it, oh well. Umm… probably best not to point it out though whatever it is.

As for X-Universe in MCU: Just give me Deadpool, and let him be aware of differences so he can make fourth wall jokes. Otherwise if Wolverine is someone else, fine, but I do wish we could see Hugh and Reynolds buddy up to contrast the stink of Origins.

Wandavision sets up a lot of where she is, both in terms of where Dr Strange finds her, as well as her new power set, AND her connection to magic. If you went from her last appearance in Infinity War / Endgame and jumped to MoM she's pretty different. Also, Wandavision is one of the most unique things Marvel has done.

But at the same time, yeah, nothing a wiki read couldn't help you through.

So we're expected to be up-to-date on the TV shows before going into a marvel movie now?  I kinda feel cheated.  I never had any desire to watch WandaVision, Loki, or whatever else they've put on Disney Plus, and have no knowledge of any of it, and I shouldn't have to do homework to see a movie.  I'm sure WandaVision is great, but I'm not much of a TV person.  Same with Star Wars.  I've seen the movies countless times, but I've never seen a single episode of Clone Wars, Mandalorian, or whatever else they're doing.  Never had any desire to watch them.  Never even thought about it.  I just don't watch that much TV, but I love going to the movies.  I've religiously seen every MCU movie made in the theater, but now suddenly, after 14 years I'm required to watch a bunch of TV shows in order to follow everything I'm seeing in the movie theater?  I'm somewhat ticked off now.  

The MCU is not nor has it ever been short form, to be fair. Every film has led to the next, they are just also using episodic television to advance plots now.

So in short: yes

I suppose it would be annoying, is annoying even. I feel that. But it is what it is. lol Might as well be mad at a series of books for expecting you to have read an earlier one.

Also sorry to bring more annoyances to your attention, but if you haven’t seen the other MCU Disney+ shows you will be lost regarding characters like Hawkeye, Loki, Falcon, and Bucky as they are all no where near the characters they last were on film.

Afterthought: Oh, and this film is directly tying into the last Spider-Man film. So if you haven’t seen that…

Afterthought, The Sequel (no Disney+ required): I suppose you could just wing it, but any time you find yourself going “wait what when” you’ll either have to imagine it or go back and watch prior stuff as if it was a filmed after prequel. I dunno.

Yes, I know that the films have always been tied together.  Like I said, I've been following them all sense Iron Man 2008.  I just never thought we'd get to the point where Marvel is just assuming that their theater audiences are watching a bunch of shows at home.  I would have thought they'd be concerned with alienating general movie goers.  

To be honest, I think you’re the outlier in this. As TVs get higher res and everything is shot on digitally, and effects get cheaper, from a technical aspect all you are getting in the theater that you can’t get at home is the size of the screen and the experience of sitting in a theater.

Most people prefer watching things at home, especially with Covid. While the budgets for the Marvel and SW shows aren’t quite at the level of the movies, they are still pretty good, and the storytelling is on par. Also, these aren’t long TV seasons, most are 8-12 episodes.

In Marvel’s case the use the movies to tell the big epic tales, but the TV shows to focus on smaller character driven stuff. They’ve all honestly been great so far.

As soon as D+ came out and they announced the series, I knew this would be a thing. It does kind of suck if you do not watch the shows since now it will feel like you're missing out. On the other hand, I do recommend the series because they've all been entertaining!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.