Neil Young versus Spotify

I debated where to post this, here or Entertainment. In the end, it doesn't really matter, so I went here.

In short, Neil Young decided that Spotify needed to choose - him or Joe Rogan. They obviously went with Joe Rogan, because he has a lot of listeners and mostly young people don't know who Neil Young is, or Joni Mitchell, and they definitely don't know Nils Lofgren, who both followed Neil. For a second it seemed like that might be a start of something, but then nobody else followed.

I did decide, though, that I was willing to put my money where my heart is. I don't like Joe Rogan. I haven't liked him for decades, and he's an example of someone who keeps failing upwards. He was a second string character actor on NewsRadio, then was a D-list celebrity that UFC could get, and then he stumbled into podcasting. So I cancelled Spotify. I need to copy all of my playlists over, but I'm content with my decision.

9 minutes ago, Hobbes said:

At this point, if you are getting medical advice from Joe Rogan, you deserve whatever comes.

If the only people harmed were those following his advice, I would have no sympathy and I wouldn’t care.

There are other streamers. Amazon Music was offering 3 months free to capitalize on this, and Apple Music has a great library. I like the Spotify Wrapped but that’s about the only thing it does significantly better.

But if you’re getting it free, go for it. Your dollars aren’t supporting him.

And now Rogan repeatedly using the N-word is an issue, but Spotify is going to stand behind him because this helps them. It’s gotta reach a point where big names leave the service for anything to happen. 

1 hour ago, Cerina said:

The vocal support I've seen for Rogan for this on FB is shocking but not surprising. 

Being anti-vaccine and racist? That’s pretty much the entire American right. 

At the risk of starting a shitstorm.. what is everyone actually up in arms about?

I know nothing about Rogan using the N word. So won't defend or get into that one since it's a pretty indefensible position unless the accused has been taken out of context or misquoted. 

But the anti Vax position? Didn't he just share the footage and converse with an interviewee about the Canadian lorry protesters who were protesting the Canadian governments plan to legislate vaccination as mandatory? Cause I don't see anything wrong in that regard. Particularly since legislating that people must be vaccinated sets a pretty terrifying legal precedent. Don't get me wrong, I'm triple jabbed and am pro vaccine, without them smallpox would still be wiping people out, but vaccination should 100% be voluntary. Mandating what people have to put into their own bodies is legislation heading in a really dark direction.

The NZ government has effectively implemented the same and it's fucked up. 

I'm not a right winger. I'm not a Joe Rogan fanboy, but I have seen a few of his podcasts in full. Some are shit, some are super interesting and insightful. His conversations with Edward Snowden particularly are very good. He's always struck me as being pretty unbiased and open. Unless I'm missing something? Have critics of Rogan actually watched any of his content? He's a bit of an mma meathead dudebro for sure, but that's his presenting style. His actual content is not what I would consider to be particularly damaging or outrageous.

He’s literally said that young people don’t need to get vaccinated. More than once. That’s the biggest thing.

He’s also been the leading reason more than one of my friends has gradually turned into a raging Trumper. He may not be giving speeches at Q conventions, but his public beliefs, especially on things like vaccines, are a starting point. 

He's a walking bigotry billboard. I'm not keeping score, but I do know that he's said sexist, homophobic, racist, and transphobic things more than once. He's anying but unbiased. Let's be super clear here - Joe Rogan has the right to be as much of a racist asshole that he wants to be, but the only organization that has to refrain from acting on it is the US government. Every single one of the rest of us has a moral duty to stand against his bigotry and the people and organizations that support it in any way, shape, or form. 

1 hour ago, Fozzie said:

He’s literally said that young people don’t need to get vaccinated. More than once. That’s the biggest thing.

He’s also been the leading reason more than one of my friends has gradually turned into a raging Trumper. He may not be giving speeches at Q conventions, but his public beliefs, especially on things like vaccines, are a starting point. 

The pot smoking, liberal, Bernie Bro turned one of your friends into a raging Trumper? You do know Rogan is not conservative?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.