Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga

zambingo

With as much as we enjoy cheese and melodrama here, as evidenced by history but recently Cobra Kai and well… pretty much everything else… has anyone else seen this Netflix film?

Along with the recent Christmas special Netflix had, Robin Robin, the Story of Fire Saga is one of my most favoritist things in some time. It’s not perfect, lags a little in the middle, but hey don’t we all.

Anywho I am spurred to post because I just found out America felt left out enough that Eurovision has created essentially an Americanvision Song Contest that NBC will air in March 2022! So excite! I hope it is fittingly ridiculous and amaze balls.

Eurovision fans say what?

Yep, it’s a Will Ferrell film. His usual absurdity is all here, but there is also a little heart warming plot to go with it, plus I enjoyed the music a bunch. Rachel McAdams is given a lot of fun stuff to work with in it too, and Pierce Brosnan effectively emotes as the stern and disapproving father figure.

I feel the film is inconspicuously smart, like many musicals are by nature because duh they tell a story in song, but I think that gets lost in the absurdity of it all. For instance Demi Lovato’s song appears to tell the story of her entire character, maybe even relates to her real life career, which is especially evident if the song is listened to in full, and it relates to a possible future for our protagonists. Even the Song-a-Long, a moment where I have seen other reviewers say that should have only been Eurovision songs, has songs with lyrics relating specifically to the characters at that moment. Also the other Eurovision entries in the film relate to the characters paths at those moments, the paths they could diverge onto. Anywho, probably overthinking it as usual. lol

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.