Dune (2021)

Odine

Not sure if there is already a thread about this, search function revealed nothing.  Pretty surprised if there isn't...

Just watched this last night. Pretty damn good sci fi. Cinematography, production and costume design on point. Music...wow. As a whole a very solid film, although maybe narratively could have been better..I don't know .. something I can't put my finger on makes me think it could have been better.

I haven't read the novel(s) so have nothing to compare the film to. But I imagine it barely scratches the surface of detail that would be expanded upon in the book(s). 

I was totally immersed in the world though... I would love to see it in a longer series format. 

Thoughts? 

One of those ‘has to be seen in the cinema’ kind of movies. Thought it was fantastic but at the end of the day it just feels like one big prologue. 

I get the need to split it up and they didn’t really get a choice to film back to back and the 2nd one has been greenlit, but this film relies so heavily on the 2nd film which hasn’t even started filming yet. If he doesn’t land Part 2, this one suffers. That held me back from really loving it. 

That's never a good position is it. That a film has to rely on a sequel (read: secondary bit of media) to contextualise/ make the film succeed, because it can't really in of itself.

I'm hopeful for the sequel.

Not sure if I just totally garbled my words there... 

Another thing I realised that I didn't give a shit about any of the characters. The ones that died because plot required them to didn't make me feel sad or anything in any way. I thought all the performances/character writing was underwhelming. With the exception of Stellan Skarsguard's character. He gave me the appropriate creeps 

It’s more because the film doesn’t adapt the whole book - it’s just the first half of the book. So the 2nd film is really just the 2nd half of the film. Which probably part of why you struggle to care about the characters - by the end, the journey is actually starting.

I’m pretty confident the director will make it work considering his track record, but who knows what can happen. 

Hey look, a movie about a rich, young, "chosen one". white male coming to save an indigenous peoples.

Okay...I know...I read the original books in high school.  I know that it is actually an ancient Bene Gesserit plan coming to fruition that actually fails, but you won't know unless they make multiple more movies-which they won't-so this will be what this interpretation of the movie is about despite the source material. 

I agree with everyone...it was meh.   I don't excuse the film for not making me care about the characters because this is the first part of the book.  Knowing the story is very complex and impossible to explain in one movie should make caring about the characters paramount.  

With that said, I will watch part 2--although if I doesn't I won't really care. 

2 hours ago, Hobbes said:

Okay...I know...I read the original books in high school.  I know that it is actually an ancient Bene Gesserit plan coming to fruition that actually fails, but you won't know unless they make multiple more movies-which they won't-so this will be what this interpretation of the movie is about despite the source material. 

The director said he wants to do Messiah as well if he has the chance, so I don’t think he wants the white saviour interpretation associated with it overall. But yeah, whether or not he gets that opportunity is another story. 

Plus I don’t know how you’d adapt anything after Dune itself without each feeling like a prelude to the next one. Messiah is like a epilogue for Dune and a prologue for Children of Dune. 

1 hour ago, Dark Wader said:

The director said he wants to do Messiah as well if he has the chance, so I don’t think he wants the white saviour interpretation associated with it overall. But yeah, whether or not he gets that opportunity is another story. 

Plus I don’t know how you’d adapt anything after Dune itself without each feeling like a prelude to the next one. Messiah is like a epilogue for Dune and a prologue for Children of Dune. 

Agreed. 

And honestly, I don't think anything past Dune will translate well to a 2 hour movie.  I only read the three books you mentioned 30 years ago so what do I know. 

On 1/22/2022 at 1:49 AM, Darth Krawlie said:

technically well made in most aspects but it was a thoroughly unenjoyable viewing experience in pretty much every way

looking forward to part 2 but I'm not sure why

Exactly this. 

My 13 year-old who hasn't read the books either was just like "this movie desperately wants to be Star Wars". But he also quotes the part about "gift of my body's moisture" like...twice a week, so I can't say he didn't find at least some joy in it. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.