Hobbes and Destiny talk winter sports and Olympics

Destiny Skywalker

• 5 weeks later...

Q and I finally made it up yesterday. My car told me it was 65F on the way there. Snow level this week is 6500 ft. They are trying desperately to make it to 30 days so they don't have to refund people who bought the guarantee (I did not). We went to West because they were open later (Central closed at 5). Alpental and East aren't even open yet, Alpental is a maybe for next week and scheduled to open MLK weekend.

Q was very nervous and wasn't even sure she wanted to go. She said no black diamonds but I did convince her because it was a fairly easy one. We literally ran over gravel a few times on the main blue run, RIP my skis. We stayed for about 4.5 hours with a 30 minute dinner break and my right knee was shredded by the end (not the one I hurt last year, fortunately, just my favorite side for turns). That said, the snow that existed wasn't that bad until later in the night when it got pretty crusty on the black run. The blue run was like thick sugar most of the night (why my knee was pissed). The terrain at West is lame, though. Our favorite run shut down at 5 and Q wanted to warm up first. We got in 8 runs total. Lines weren't terrible, definitely no worse than Central on a regular season Friday night. It's just a big wide open hill that's barely steep. The blues at Central are more interesting, at least.

This season is going to suck. Q said she doesn't want to go back until Central or Alpental is open for night skiing (which is this coming Wednesday). I don't blame her. She has a soccer tournament next weekend (WTF Seattle youth soccer scene), so we wouldn't be able to make it up until Sunday anyway.

On 12/30/2023 at 11:14 AM, Destiny Skywalker said:

Q and I finally made it up yesterday. My car told me it was 65F on the way there. Snow level this week is 6500 ft. They are trying desperately to make it to 30 days so they don't have to refund people who bought the guarantee (I did not). We went to West because they were open later (Central closed at 5). Alpental and East aren't even open yet, Alpental is a maybe for next week and scheduled to open MLK weekend.

Q was very nervous and wasn't even sure she wanted to go. She said no black diamonds but I did convince her because it was a fairly easy one. We literally ran over gravel a few times on the main blue run, RIP my skis. We stayed for about 4.5 hours with a 30 minute dinner break and my right knee was shredded by the end (not the one I hurt last year, fortunately, just my favorite side for turns). That said, the snow that existed wasn't that bad until later in the night when it got pretty crusty on the black run. The blue run was like thick sugar most of the night (why my knee was pissed). The terrain at West is lame, though. Our favorite run shut down at 5 and Q wanted to warm up first. We got in 8 runs total. Lines weren't terrible, definitely no worse than Central on a regular season Friday night. It's just a big wide open hill that's barely steep. The blues at Central are more interesting, at least.

This season is going to suck. Q said she doesn't want to go back until Central or Alpental is open for night skiing (which is this coming Wednesday). I don't blame her. She has a soccer tournament next weekend (WTF Seattle youth soccer scene), so we wouldn't be able to make it up until Sunday anyway.

I went once over break and it was fine good.  Just like you, there was some bare spots that made things a bit sketchy for my new skis.  The back side still doesn't have much snow and I am concerned it may not open up fully for another few weeks.  Fortunately we are getting decent snow today just in time for snow burners (ski school).

I used to love night skiing when I was learning in Kansas City (the only time it wasn't slush), but the few times I went at Keystone, I had trouble seeing and overall, I didn't like it that much. 

I hear you about the thick sugar.  I don't know how, but the conditions could be awesome but the bottom of the run you get funneled into near the base the conditions become super think and choppy.  I don't know if that is from over blowing there or just people pushing snow down or what, but I hate it and hurts my knees (and screws up my ski IQ score on the app).  That is why I am pissed about more of the backside not being open so I can avoid that run. 

You only got 8 runs in in 4.5 hours? 

That's according to Garmin, apparently. There's a bit of standing in line and I stop a fair bit to check on Q and coach her a bit. She's a little sloppy this season, I think she's really lost her confidence after her injury. And just everything else going on.

Pretty sure it's just pushing snow down the hill. As Quinn put it, there were a lot of n00bs out there with the pros. Lol she's funny. Last year I noticed they were primarily using snow making at the terrain park (which would make sense because you have lots of snow getting pushed down the hill, and also who cares if the snow there is icy as shit).

We are supposed to get a decent storm this weekend. Might try to go up Sunday. If not, next Saturday it sounds like everything will be open after this storm.

• 2 weeks later...

Q and I are back at it. Took 30minutes just to find parking. It's like 8F. Went down out usual black and it's a hot mess. Even I fell. Then skiing on a green section I tried to hockey stop and instead face planted, hit my head and chest. Q said I dropped something, it was some piece of foam so I think I may have hit it and that made me fall. Ow. We sticking to blues today. We lasted an hour before coming into the lodge. Snow is packed so hard it squeaks.

I need some new skis. It's been a season and I can't get used to these. I have far less control and can't get on edge. And my knees are killing me. These might be great skis if I was doing powder or back country, but they feel like planks as I ski shitty groomers and moguls.

I'm tempted to pick up these: https://www.powder7.com/Head-Super-Joy-Skis-153cm-Used-2023/for-sale

I'm going to give Q my old Salomon 149s next year and let her rip. Shit I might bust them out next week and see if I have more fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I did bust out the Salomons this week and decided they are going to stay retired. I figured since it's been raining and in the 40s all week, the snow would be crap. I was correct. However, I felt very out of control. I think my new skis are inherently more stable? And pushing all that heavy wet snow was not fun. I think the longer skis are also good at pushing through that. So, maybe not getting the Super Joys. I think I better demo something before I buy, because I was really surprised how much stability I lost.

Still can't get up on my edges, even on the skinny skis. I hit tree branches and got spun around today, and once again the ground jumped up at me on a flatter part and opened my skis up wide and I face planted again. I don't know what is wrong with me this season. I am skiing like total garbage and I'm super frustrated.

It started to rain, so Q and I went to the beginner terrain park. She fell on her first box, but hit several more afterwards (just straight on, told her to take it easy for her first time). She managed to get up on a rail (by accident) and actually hung onto it until just before the end. She says she wants my Salomons but I realized they are like 15 years old so that might not be a good idea.

On 1/21/2024 at 1:23 AM, Destiny Skywalker said:

I need some new skis. It's been a season and I can't get used to these. I have far less control and can't get on edge. And my knees are killing me. These might be great skis if I was doing powder or back country, but they feel like planks as I ski shitty groomers and moguls.

I'm tempted to pick up these: https://www.powder7.com/Head-Super-Joy-Skis-153cm-Used-2023/for-sale

I'm going to give Q my old Salomon 149s next year and let her rip. Shit I might bust them out next week and see if I have more fun.

I like those skis!  I have noticed since getting my carving skis I get much better grip and control.  We even had powder this weekend and I didn't feel a difference from my all-mountains.  But with more grip comes more tuning. 

On 1/21/2024 at 1:23 AM, Destiny Skywalker said:

I see so many people with powder skis when there really isn't powder--mainly rentals.  They look like tongue depressors--I don't understand the appeal. 

I can ski mogels if I have to and I am solid C.  But they are negative fun and it kills my knees impacting my fun and ability for the rest of the day.   Join me on the dark side of skiing...give into your age...with each passing run you make yourself want to go 100% on piste. 

To piste, or not to piste: that is the question:
Whether ’tis radder in the mind to shred
The fluffy powder stashes of secret,
Or to arc the pristine groomers of plenty,
And to choose between? It’s fun, with smile;
Once more, and with smile to say we laugh
We laugh with full face grin, our way to the bottom.….
‑Bill Skispeare

Yeah I'm actually debating between the Total Joys and the Super Joys now. I'm not sure I want to do mid 70s underfoot anymore, but maybe 82ish?

I think my Salomons have lost their camber. They didn't feel snappy like they used to, compared to my new Head Kores. So they really just need trashed. But I definitely think I can justify some carvers. I really do prefer ripping paste, I just can't find any right now. But I think I'd be happier on the moguls on something a little more reactive. Last Friday I was doing pretty good on the blue moguls. But black plus moguls? F that. I miss steep groomers. They no longer exist at Snoqualmie.

On 2/6/2024 at 12:56 PM, Destiny Skywalker said:

Yeah I'm actually debating between the Total Joys and the Super Joys now. I'm not sure I want to do mid 70s underfoot anymore, but maybe 82ish?

I think my Salomons have lost their camber. They didn't feel snappy like they used to, compared to my new Head Kores. So they really just need trashed. But I definitely think I can justify some carvers. I really do prefer ripping paste, I just can't find any right now. But I think I'd be happier on the moguls on something a little more reactive. Last Friday I was doing pretty good on the blue moguls. But black plus moguls? F that. I miss steep groomers. They no longer exist at Snoqualmie.

What happened to the groomers?

I am so over lift talk.  I am tired of having the same conversations.  It is starting to warm up so I am not as bundled up and look like I am interested in talking.  I am thinking about asking more intriguing questions on the lift.  I am leaning towards "So what do you think happens to us when we die?" because, you know, the resort is called Purgatory and the majority of the runs have to do with afterlife (Demon, Nirvana, Hades, etc) or "there sure are a lot of white people here".

What would you do if someone asked you this?  Now, I wouldn't just ask this, it would only be after someone engaged me in a lame question...

"So where are you from?"

"I'm a local...what do you think happens when we die?"

They stopped grooming? I've bitched about it when they sent a survey after our last visit. Really the problem is you've got people heading to blue runs that have now become black runs because of no grooming, and it makes it a shitshow for those of us who actually belong on the runs. I'm just trying not to die here, folks. And then the blacks are nothing but deep moguls. The only thing they groom are the crappy flat blues and greens at the bottom. However, this past week they've been bragging about their new grooming equipment so maybe they finally got the message. Or the base is so low they were forced to groom more. Not sure which.

12 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

They stopped grooming? I've bitched about it when they sent a survey after our last visit. Really the problem is you've got people heading to blue runs that have now become black runs because of no grooming, and it makes it a shitshow for those of us who actually belong on the runs. I'm just trying not to die here, folks. And then the blacks are nothing but deep moguls. The only thing they groom are the crappy flat blues and greens at the bottom. However, this past week they've been bragging about their new grooming equipment so maybe they finally got the message. Or the base is so low they were forced to groom more. Not sure which.

No grooming at all?  That is insane!  I wouldn't even go.  What about the beginners area or like the ski run that everyone funnels into or the service roads runs?

I don't even know how that is even close to being safe.

There's only a couple cat tracks (service run roads) and they are narrow and steep. It feels like going down a kid's slide standing up. Mildly terrifying. I've told Q how much I hate it. If someone goes down on it, you are going to run them over. It's also not well lit. But it is how we get across at the end of the night to go to the parking lot.

I think they might groom the beginners area regularly and that's it. They used to groom some of the blacks and it was glorious. Now they think everyone wants the back country experience on the front side. No thanks. I haven't skied my favorite run in 3 years because it's straight dangerous. It's like a literal cliff face.

I have thought about practicing on some of the easier blue runs, but the lift lines make me avoid them.

What do you ski on at Purg? Do they groom pretty well?

• 3 weeks later...

Took Q to Alpental tonight for the first time and it was glorious. No lift line longer than a 5 minute wait and much better conditions than Central lately. They got 3 feet of snow since last weekend and while it's not pristine corduroy, there were some glorious steep sections without moguls. We only skied 2 different runs because only the bottom half of the mountain was open for night skiing, next time I am going to try to get her to take Cascade Traverse so we can drop in on a few runs that are some really fun black diamond runs that are usually pretty powdery.

On 2/14/2024 at 10:00 AM, Destiny Skywalker said:

There's only a couple cat tracks (service run roads) and they are narrow and steep. It feels like going down a kid's slide standing up. Mildly terrifying. I've told Q how much I hate it. If someone goes down on it, you are going to run them over. It's also not well lit. But it is how we get across at the end of the night to go to the parking lot.

I think they might groom the beginners area regularly and that's it. They used to groom some of the blacks and it was glorious. Now they think everyone wants the back country experience on the front side. No thanks. I haven't skied my favorite run in 3 years because it's straight dangerous. It's like a literal cliff face.

I have thought about practicing on some of the easier blue runs, but the lift lines make me avoid them.

What do you ski on at Purg? Do they groom pretty well?

https://www.purgatory.ski/mountain/purgatory-mountain/trail-maps/

I ski mainly on the Legends Lift (far right) runs.  They are super fast, steep, and two or three are (usually) groomed nightly.  There is a small black run right before the Legends lift that isn't even named.  It is wicked steep and super short so you can pretty much get as much speed as you can handle.  My favorite run is Upper and Lower Hades off the main lift.  It is groomed daily and it is where all the races are and is probably the longest/ steepest run.  I love Purg, but I do miss the longer runs at the larger ski resorts. 

That is a shame about your favorite run.  My favorite run at Copper is called Bouncer and they did the same thing...one year they stopped grooming it and the next it was the terrain park. 

On 3/1/2024 at 11:48 PM, Destiny Skywalker said:

Took Q to Alpental tonight for the first time and it was glorious. No lift line longer than a 5 minute wait and much better conditions than Central lately. They got 3 feet of snow since last weekend and while it's not pristine corduroy, there were some glorious steep sections without moguls. We only skied 2 different runs because only the bottom half of the mountain was open for night skiing, next time I am going to try to get her to take Cascade Traverse so we can drop in on a few runs that are some really fun black diamond runs that are usually pretty powdery.

That is awesome!  My boys are close to transitioning to do blues and I am so excited to take them!   I wish they had night skiing at Purg though.  But when I did night skiing at Keystone, I struggled on black slopes bacause I couldn't judge the steepness.  Maybe I needed different lenses.

Q and I both have night skiing goggles. They're a very light green tint and block almost no light. I also have a pink pair for bluebird days. But since most of our skiing is at night, I don't use them super often. Truly, picking the right tint really helps. The green is better than no tint because it does block the glare from the lights and allows me to see the terrain in flat light.

Kids on blues is a game changer. It makes taking them so much more enjoyable.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.