Hobbes and Destiny talk winter sports and Olympics

Destiny Skywalker

Ughhhhh my season might be done. I'm pretty sure I messed up my PCL and I hope it's not torn. Best case is probably 10 days and I have to stick to blues the rest of the season.

I followed Q's lesson today. She has 3 jerk 14-year old boys in her class and they are... well 14-year old boys. She claims they don't fall and I told her it's because they don't push themselves like she does. Today I got to witness them in action. Her form is much better and she at least listens. But she's just so small compared to them. Her instructor told me once again, that she just has kid muscles and she just needs to grow. I told him that we're probably just going to do private lessons next year with her and I because now we are close to the same level and I could use the same reinforcements she needs. He thought it was a great idea and a better fit for her because she will get more out of it (and not get held back by teenage clowns).

They mostly worked on jumps tonight because that's all the boys want to do (and Q now too). They did one small bit with some moguls and that's where I ate it, bad. I don't know what I actually did but I landed on my head and twisted my knee so bad I popped out of my ski (binding still in locked position), which I haven't done in years. Although lately I've lowered my DIN because I've realized I'm not a type 3 skier, I'm a type 2. Then I skied on it for 2 more hours. There's no bruising or swelling but now I can't bend it. DAMMIT Jacob

I followed Q's lesson and was skiing in unfamiliar territory. He took them off trail on a black through some gnarly moguls. I'm still getting used to the longer skis and I don't think I got my ski all the way around. I think I ran right into a mogul and essentially pitched forward and landed on my head and managed to twist my ski off. It happened really fast. I still can't believe I came out of my binding like that, but I think it came out sideways, so that tells you how hard my knee twisted. I'm not a fan of Look bindings, but they were supposedly the recommended bindings for my skis. Q had Look bindings last year on her Rossignols and I hated them. They don't look very secure to me, but I'm so used to my Salomon bindings which are a different style.

Sigh, I just miss my Salomons so much. They felt like a second skin. I mean, I still have them. I really should've demoed more skis but that gets expensive fast unless you find a demo day.

That sucks--that's good it isn't too bad.  I have Look bindings and I like them--but I am far from any sort of expert on bindings.

I sat next to a couple this morning on the lift that was from Seattle and I asked about Snoqualmie and I was asking them about it :)

You mentioned you were looking at new skis.  I have been getting really into being great at carving.  The skis I have now are Atomic Vantage and they are all mountain and are pretty good at everything but not great at anything.  I have decided to invest in a pair of carvers for next season.  I am going to demo a few pairs.  I was just thinking about what that couple was saying about Snoqualmie and thought carving skis might work better for you.  I think we have similar skiing (and soccer) styles.  If you demo a pair you like--let me know and I will check it out.

https://www.freeride.com/news/best-carving-skis/

My knee was actually like 80% today. I think I will be fine in 2 weeks. I think I will still take Q to the terrain park, though.

I had already convinced myself before I saw your post that I just need to fork out for another pair of skis. I've been on them about 10 times now and they just still feel like planks. Thank you for the link, though, that was helpful. I did take a look at some of the recommended carving skis, mostnofbthem are too long for me but it did give me some ideas. I'm tempted by the Salomon S/MAX because I loved my old Salomons, but they come in 150 and 160, which are really the top and bottom of my range. I think I need a really tight radius, because what I really value is maneuverability. I also looked at REI just because they're big (but kind of generic). They had some Atomic Cloud Q9s that are available in 154 length, but they are almost 3 lbs heavier than the Salomons (maybe that's what I liked so much about my Salomons). The problem I am finding is most of the ones I like are for beginner skiers, and I need an Intermediate-Advanced ski. I'm not sure how much of this is just because I am short and need a shorter ski. I'm so tired of the idiots out here who insist I need to be on a 168-170 when I am only 160 cm tall myself.

The other thought is that maybe I need mogul skis. I am doing a lot of that lately, although I'm skiing over the top and making my turns on top of the mogul and not in the channels (and that's exactly how I messed up my knee, was trying to work the channels). Unfortunately Snoqualmie has cheaped out on grooming, so I do not get pure groomers. But it's definitely hard pack most days, it's nowhere near powder conditions. I think I keep the Head skis for powder days, but I need to get back on my edges again, and that means a thinner ski, probably under 80 mm wide. I am getting too damn old to be carving on fatty skis. I will need my knees to last, and that means the skis need to do some of the work.

I did see those, they're just still kind of wide. My old Salomons are 75 width, my current ones are 91 width. I'm trying to stay under 80. Really I just probably need to try a few widths and see if I can get up on the edges on some 82s or 85s.

I did read up on my Head skis and apparently they are considered to be very stiff. I guess by comparison I considered my old skis to be very playful. They did what I wanted instead of me feeling like I'm at the mercy of my skis. It's like driving a boat. I don't think the K2 Minderbenders felt like this, but they were way too long.

Ugh I've been looking and there is such a bias in the industry right now towards powder skiing. You can't be a good skier if you're on groomers, apparently. At least if you're a woman. Most of the carving skis I can find are just way too long for me because they're for tall men. And I don't want them super long because I do have to ski bumps sometimes. All the women's carving skis are for beginner-intermediate.

I did see some mogul skis. Might need to look more into those. I wonder if I can carve on them.

Well, it looks like Head may have the skis I'm looking for. I'm just annoyed with my current ones. I'm looking at the Head Power Joy or Super Joy. Also going down the list and checking out the Atomic Cloud line. The 14s might be too much ski for me but they sound fun.

And I just found the Salomon S/Max No. 10. I think these are the new version of my skis, which are the Salomon Siam No. 10s.

3 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

I did see those, they're just still kind of wide. My old Salomons are 75 width, my current ones are 91 width. I'm trying to stay under 80. Really I just probably need to try a few widths and see if I can get up on the edges on some 82s or 85s.

I did read up on my Head skis and apparently they are considered to be very stiff. I guess by comparison I considered my old skis to be very playful. They did what I wanted instead of me feeling like I'm at the mercy of my skis. It's like driving a boat. I don't think the K2 Minderbenders felt like this, but they were way too long.

Ugh I've been looking and there is such a bias in the industry right now towards powder skiing. You can't be a good skier if you're on groomers, apparently. At least if you're a woman. Most of the carving skis I can find are just way too long for me because they're for tall men. And I don't want them super long because I do have to ski bumps sometimes. All the women's carving skis are for beginner-intermediate.

I did see some mogul skis. Might need to look more into those. I wonder if I can carve on them.

You are right--it is going to be hard to find something under 80, at least not without compromise somewhere else.  It may not matter to you--but I need skiis that also look good.  If I don't like they way the look I rule them out. 

I agree about bias towards powder skiing.  I am not a huge fan of powder.  Don't get me wrong--in 2018 I went to Steamboat and the backside had been closed for like 5 years due to the lack of snow.  I literally got off the lift and ski patrol dropped the rope right in front of me.  It was magical!  But in reality, I hate the way it all clumps up after a few hours.  The people I was on the lift with said Snoqualmie powder isn't like the powder here--they said it is super wet.  Everyone talks about powder but those days are so few and far in between it isn't worth it. 

I would rather than focusing my energy and money (new skis and CARV app) at getting really good at skiing the conditions I encounter 95% of the time.

Where we differ is moguls--hell to the no.  There is a steep groomed black that you catch some serious speed on (I can hit 60mph with the right conditions) that has a lip you can't see over and it shoots you right into some steep ass moguls.  Here is a video I took yesterday--sorry its hard to ski and hold the phone at the same time...

I'm getting Q a Go/Pro for her birthday this year. Also I will be stealing it occasionally.

Yes, Snoqualmie powder barely counts as powder. The snow in general is very heavy and thick.

I used to hate and avoid moguls but Snoqualmie gave me no choice. But if it's icy or super firm I stay the heck away. Really I'm just mad that they've taken most of my steep terrain away and replaced it with moguls. But, the heavier snow, when it's fresh, is actually kind-of nice for moguls because it slows you down and you get more reaction time. I need to get over to East this season. Q's instructor told me I need to take her over there, she will love it.

As for ski aesthetics, yeah I kind of agree. Head skis are boring af designs. But I also really want to avoid pink. The Salomons look the nicest, they even have some purple, which is my favorite color.

Meh, worst case I can pass some of these on to Q.

Dropped my skis off at the shop for a wax and edge. Same lady that sold me the skis said I am probably skiing with my feet too close to each other and thats why I can't get on edge. She noted my sides were kind of shredded and said my skis are knocking into each other too much because my feet are too close. I have noticed them knocking together a lot, which I attributed to a lack of control and too much smearing instead of being on edge. So I'm willing to try it, but I also left off the part where I crashed trying to thread some freaking moguls. In any event,  they don't carry any carving skis. I'm going to have to go to a big ski place or order blindly online.

On 2/13/2023 at 2:30 PM, Destiny Skywalker said:

I'm getting Q a Go/Pro for her birthday this year. Also I will be stealing it occasionally.

Yes, Snoqualmie powder barely counts as powder. The snow in general is very heavy and thick.

I used to hate and avoid moguls but Snoqualmie gave me no choice. But if it's icy or super firm I stay the heck away. Really I'm just mad that they've taken most of my steep terrain away and replaced it with moguls. But, the heavier snow, when it's fresh, is actually kind-of nice for moguls because it slows you down and you get more reaction time. I need to get over to East this season. Q's instructor told me I need to take her over there, she will love it.

As for ski aesthetics, yeah I kind of agree. Head skis are boring af designs. But I also really want to avoid pink. The Salomons look the nicest, they even have some purple, which is my favorite color.

Meh, worst case I can pass some of these on to Q.

Now the boys are skiing I think I will get a GoPro.  I know there are a few different models--what are you thinking?

So now I am obsessed at buying new skis thanks to you :)

Right now, these are my current skis:

https://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/atomic-vantage-90-cti-2016

I am overall happy with this ski.  I think I mentioned it is a B+ at everything (maybe a C in powder).  I feel comfortable skiing any terrain.   

But I blame you, I am now 100% fixated on getting carving skis and wanted your thoughts on these possibilities (including aesthetics)

https://www.snow-online.com/ski/atomic-redster-x9-s-revoshock-2022.htmlp  (I am not a fan of yellow at all but I do love Atomics)

https://www.snow-online.com/ski/salomon-s-max-12-2022.htmlp

https://www.evo.com/ski-packages/k2-disruption-mti-skis-mxcell-12-tcx-quikclik-bindings

https://www.evo.com/skis/line-blade

Thoughts??

4 minutes ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

Dropped my skis off at the shop for a wax and edge. Same lady that sold me the skis said I am probably skiing with my feet too close to each other and thats why I can't get on edge. She noted my sides were kind of shredded and said my skis are knocking into each other too much because my feet are too close. I have noticed them knocking together a lot, which I attributed to a lack of control and too much smearing instead of being on edge. So I'm willing to try it, but I also left off the part where I crashed trying to thread some freaking moguls. In any event,  they don't carry any carving skis. I'm going to have to go to a big ski place or order blindly online.

LOL--what did I say about us (okay maybe me) oldies trying to ski with our feet together because thats the way it was done on Aspen Extreme! 

9 minutes ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

In the spring at purg they have super cheap demo days and all demo costs count towards the purchase of a new pair! 

Atomic does make some pretty sweet skis. Those are the best looking. You think you're going to like 66 underfoot? You are going to be flying in those.

The Lines are 95 underfoot? Too wide.

You know I love me some Salomons but those are the most boring out of the bunch. Well, the K2s are kind of boring, too. (And honestly I've found K2 boring in general lately. I didn't love the look on the Minderbinders but in retrospect my Head Kores are boring af lol.)

Funny enough my list is basically the Salomon S/max 10, the K2 Disruption and the Head Power Joy. Salomons are the best looking out of those, but the hardest to find.

So regarding skiing tight, I've always felt like I don't ski tight enough! But the lady did say you will naturally ski tighter on a carving ski. I think I look too aggressive when I ski. I seriously wish I could look relaxed. Let's face it, I'm naturally uptight, skiing is not much different. You should see me bowl.

The Nordicas do look good but they are a smidgen wide. I'm going to see if I can get up on my edges on these MFers.

On 2/15/2023 at 9:49 AM, Destiny Skywalker said:

By the way, I've been looking at this site: https://www.skiessentials.com/2023-ski-test/category/womens-frontside/

Go check out the men's frontside skis!

These are what I probably should've gotten if I wanted a one-ski quiver: https://www.skiessentials.com/2023-ski-test/skis/2023-head-total-joy/

Awesome recommendation--I spent like an hour looking at different skis!  I wish there was a better filter though. 

I saw a pair on there I want for $1349 w/o bindings.  Ugh...I feel like that is a bit of overkill since my skill level isn't high enough to take advantage of the benefits--but damn they look sexy as hell. 

I think what I want to do is look for any high end/highly rated carving skis that are a few seasons old.  Really, is there any difference?

2 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

So my knee no longer hurts, but it's moved to my calf. I'm not sure if its from the same event or if it's a compensation injury.

sounds like you have shitty skis.  better get some new ones asap so this doesn't happen again. 

• 2 weeks later...

To take this in a completely different direction…last Friday a father at my school died in a ski accident.  He was skiing out of bounds and fell 25 feet and was impaled on the mountain coaster.  I saw him at drop off and we were talking about the conditions.  

Last week our HOA president died backcountry skiing.  He was about 60 and was on the avalanche search and rescue team for the fire department.  

86D2D669-83C0-43AE-BC6A-82C06519BFBC.thumb.jpeg.d8433052739f848181c5f0e77d54ba12.jpeg283B1D9C-113E-4BCA-A219-49CAA0D1DBBB.thumb.jpeg.1deb31a380f665c952279fd15cfebaa1.jpeg

I’m fine.  I found out the gruesome details of his death (I’ll tell you if you want to know) and that really disturbed me.  I just feel awful for his boys—both of them are friends with my boys.  The oldest in 1st grade goes to my school and the youngest will be there next year.

It is a very tight community (it came up in three separate lift conversations today).  Everyone whom moves here does so to skiing/white water rafting/ biking/etc.   I heard the turnout and the amount of support at his memorial was was amazing (I was in Denver for a conference).  But on the other hand, it is also viewed here as part of the natural order of things rather than some massive tragedy which is how these things have been viewed in most places I lived.

anyhow—my skis were stolen.  We left the garage up one night.  Interestingly, we bought a new tv at Christmas and the old one—which is also in the garage—was completely overlooked (along with my old skis).  we live in a small, isolated subdivision on the side of a mountain and everyone looks out for each other so I doubt it was a neighbor.  Everyone here has their garage packed with gear so it was probably someone driving through looking for a house with their garage up.  

so now I think I’m going to get some high end carving skis out of grief.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.