How's Your Health?

monkeygirl

So, during a routine physical my doctor found I now have A-Fib. He said the good news is that it's probably medication related and suggested a procedure called a cardioversion in which they restart the heart.

I had the procedure yesterday and it didn't work. I don't yet know what my options are. They gave me propofol and I see why Michael Jackson liked it so much, although it made for a mentally and physically fuzzy evening. I remember the anesthesiologist saying "this might feel spicy in your IV" then they were waking me up.

It's getting so every time I go to the damn doctor he finds something significant.

Aging isn't for sissies.

What's wrong with you?

I don't even know what's wrong with me, but I'm sure it's a lot. I haven't actually had a checkup or anything in YEARS, so here's a list of shit I plan on dumping on my new doctor now that it's a new year and I have new insurance:

• I'm deadass tired all the damn time. I can barely bring myself to put on clothing some days. It's just too much work. 
  • I seriously can't remember words sometimes. My mind just goes blank, and sometimes for even simple things like names of people I've known for years or places I've been a billion times. This has become such a frequent thing now that I can't believe that it's just getting older. 
  • My knees pop and grind together when I walk up or down stairs and occasionally when I walk on level ground.
  • I'm 99.9% sure I have diastasis recti, and my ab muscles are separated by 6" or more. I look 7 months pregnant at all times, and it feels like I'm walking around with a soccer ball in my upper abdomen - it's hard as a rock (the rest of me is flabby and squishy) and I can't breathe well because of it. I definitely can't bend over and breathe or lay down on my back and breathe. 
  • I can't seem to do enough kegels to get my pelvic floor back into decent enough shape so I don't pee on myself every time I cough/sneeze/laugh/stand up/bend over/roll over or otherwise exhibit any movement at all or exist. 

Also, if my husband doesn't get a better handle on his ADHD issues, I run a real chance of having a total breakdown. 

Yikes, I've had/have diastasis recti from being pregnant with 2 kids, but not as severe (I think mine was 4" and I got it closed up to an inch or less through physical therapy). I also didn't have the hard ball you're describing or trouble breathing. Definitely best to have it checked out. I hate to say it, but that severe may require surgery to fix.

Also, as a fellow ADHD spouse, heard. I'm pretty sure even the dog has ADHD.

Um, my health is actually pretty good. The melanoma scare 2 years ago was actually a pretty big surprise, despite the fact that I already went every year because I had so many moles. I guess living in Florida for 6 years will do that to you.

We are old. HA! Besides me having Tina, I have health issues too but they mostly stem from being SUPER fat especially since covid happened. Snacks are the easiest product for me to buy and eat from the comfort of my computer. Oh and stress. OMG stress. I would kill for 7 hours of sleep straight a night. I've developed this weird thing that stops me from enjoy hot meals that I often mistake as I'm having a stroke but it's weird. It has a name and I forgot it. It's where I am eating something and suddenly I can't swallow. It's stuck and it won't go down. I have intense pain in my chest and I struggle to breath. It's kinda like a food panic attack but once I relax I can eat but by then my meal is no longer hot and I just don't want it.

Tami! My Dad has afib. Giant hugs. For everyone. 

I do still have all my teeth!

On top of the fibromyalgia I’ve had for forever, I also have arthritic hips that are getting worse. And my PT found evidence that I still have spinal compression even after surgery, so that’s fun. 

And I have a PILE of mental illnesses.

And then there’s a cyst sitting on my brain stem. Cystina is getting a checkout in May to see if she’s grown, but I’m not too worried about it.

I had to Google diastasis recti.  That sounds like it could be unbearable. 

Physically, I have gained some weight in the last six months.  The one thing I really miss about Denver is the lack of year-round competitive soccer--here it is just a fall/spring season that is about 6-8 weeks.  Between that and the rec center not being open past 7 on weekdays and closed on Sundays since I moved here, I barely made it in.  The hours just now expanded, so that should help. 

Mentally, I am doing fine.  I have terrible existential dread to the point that I can no longer wear a watch and had to take the clock out of my office.   I just finished reading the Three Body Problem trilogy this week, so that only made it worse.

1 hour ago, Hobbes said:

I had to Google diastasis recti.  That sounds like it could be unbearable. 

It's not fun. That's for sure. But in true American healthcare fashion, surgery to have it fixed isn't covered by most insurance because it's considered cosmetic surgery. Best I could hope for is to get a hernia as well, that way when I get it all repaired at the same time the hernia repair will cover a small portion of the hospital fees and anesthesiologist. 

41 minutes ago, Cerina said:

It's not fun. That's for sure. But in true American healthcare fashion, surgery to have it fixed isn't covered by most insurance because it's considered cosmetic surgery. Best I could hope for is to get a hernia as well, that way when I get it all repaired at the same time the hernia repair will cover a small portion of the hospital fees and anesthesiologist. 

I am sure it being predominantly associated with childbirth is a strike against it being covered as well. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.