Anyone from the OG 2000 nightly still around to talk about the sequels?

starwarskater

On 1/2/2022 at 9:41 AM, The Choc said:

Basically

Great: The Last Jedi

Very Good: The Force Awakens, Rogue One

Solid: Solo, Mandalorian

Disappointing: The Rise of Skywalker

I'm kinda team Choc on this but I  upgrade Rogue One to great and put Last Jedi into the new 'VeryVery Good, Not Great' category. 

Way back then, I thought too much Star Wars movies would not be good and just wind up diluting the quality of the franchise. After the PT, I learned to get over it, stop putting Star Wars on a pedestal and just enjoy the content. Not everything has been great, but there definitely has been some good stuff. Rogue One and Mando have been my favorites so far. Other stuff has been enjoyable such as the Clone Wars TV show, the Clone Wars animated shorts, the LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special and Book of Boba Fett (so far). I am looking forward to other content Disney will be releasing not only on streaming but in theaters as well. As I have stated repeatedly on this board, I hope a time period outside of Episode I - Episode IX will be explored (hopefully Star Wars ancient history). One thing is for sure though: the stuff we are getting today beats the original Star Wars Holiday special, the Ewoks and Droids cartoon TV shows, and the Ewoks movies. :D

P.S. I can't believe my account is finally old enough to buy a drink in the Mos Eisley Cantina! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Not quite OG, I'm from 2003 and just too late to witness ThunderDroid's reign. I curse the fates, curse them!

The sequel trilogy. I was saddened when the book canon went to the trash when Disney bought Star Wars but maybe, I thought, they can do better. The books had some lemons, to put it mildly. Then The Force Awakens came out and it was so milktoasty rehash of the first movie. Well, at least, they can only go up from here, I thought. Even if they just imitate The First Three, the next one is Empire. Oh boy, that prediction went badly with the  Last Jedi or as we call it Character Assassination Exhibit A. Clearly my ability to foresee events were not on par with the Emperor. Speaking of whom... the third film. The Rise of Scavengerhunt. I'm not sure how much of this hot mess was caused by the frantic re-writes after Ms Fisher died or how much of it was planned. Clearly something was supposed to be in the second film that led to from Snoke to Emperor Reborn but Ryan Johnson didn't get the memo. The only saving grace of it being the low expectations I had when I watched it.

Anyway, welcome back, skater!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used to frequent this board back then. I am a first generation fan, who saw Star Wars in theatres, back in 1977. I saw all the others on opening day, including the triple bill in 1985, the SE's in 1997 and all three prequel films at midnight screenings! I'm a massive fan and still am—of the Lucas stuff, anyway. 

I left NN around 2006 but occasionally pop in to read what some of you have to say.

I was shocked when it was announced that in 2012, Lucas had sold the company to Disney, and that they were to release Episode VII in 2015.  I couldn't believe that I was finally going to get to see Lucas's third and final Star Wars trilogy—the one l had read about in Dale Pollocks "Skywalking" book and in a 1983 issue of TIME Magazine, where Lucas very briefly discusses the outine for these films.

It's December 2015 and I meet up with some friends (die hards as well) to see The Force Awakens. The film is okay, but something seems off about it all. I have this tremendous sense of deja vu, but can't quite put my finger on it—then it dawns on me; this film is just a remake of A NEW HOPE. Basically the same thing Abrams did for the 2009 Trek film. I left feeling underwhelmed, but hopeful that the next one would get things back on track!

Then I saw The Last Jedi, which was probably the worst and most underwhelming movie going experience of my life. It became evident right away, that these people had no plan and didn't understand the source material one bit. This was anything but a Star Wars film and felt like watching a train–wreck in slow motion. While watching those deplorable Canto Bite scenes, i actually had to remind myself that I was watching a new Star Wars film. I couldn't believe how bad it was and how it all felt, devoid of creativity and substance.

It became obvious that this was just someones back to front, inside out version of THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK and that's where i completely lost interest in the new characters, the story and what they were doing with the sequel trilogy. 

I didn't bother going to see Rise of Skywalker and still haven't seen it. I have no desire to see the other two ever again and am vehemently against them bringing back Palpatine, to shoehorn him into the story. That completely invalidates Anakin Skywalker's chosen one arc from the first six films and just shows they were in a bind, when Johnson killed off Snoke (what a stupid name) for no reason other than because he could.

Disney (and new LFL) weren't interested in bringing a new story to audiences—they were more interested in rehashing the same conflict between the Rebellion and the Empire, complete with TIE Fighters, X Wings and another Death Star. A soft reboot and a reprehensible act, by a greedy, corporation, that's interests were financial and to push some bizarre agenda, based on the current socio-political landscape. 

What they made were three timely films, instead of timeless ones.

Disney went out of their way to defecate on the prequels and to make sure those haters were sated. Instead, they made three films that were far, far worse and are basically soulless abominations, devoid of creativity, imaginative world building, mythology, lore, magic and that layer of spirituality. 

I did genuinely like Rogue One and I think The Mandalorian has been mostly fantastic. The Book of Boba Fett can only be described as inconsistent, but as for the Sequels, they are vile trash that deserve nothing but derision. Solo was forgettable rubbish. Those two main actors were horribly miscast. One overracts and the other can barely act at all. It's no wonder that film lost so much money at the box office. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.