What did you get for Christmas OR holiday drama

Hobbes

Laura's two brothers are sick, one with COVID and the other hasn't been tested yet, but I'm assuming has COVID. The one who tested positive is completely anti-vaccine, so I have zero sympathy. I do feel for his kids who aren't old enough to make those decisions, and will probably get sick. But this also means postponing our celebration with that side of the family. I know Laura is sad about it, and her sister is super sad because it's hard for her to get here anyways since she's a social worker in Pittsburgh, but I'm having a hard time caring. 

I think my dad is going to catch diabetes this year for Christmas. He keeps raiding the panty for snacks, saying he needs something a little sweet. Never picks water to drink, it's always juice or wine. Honestly its like having another kid for a week (except the wine part). I was raised like this, and it bothers me. We have fresh fruit coming out the ears. I'm convinced its that he thinks processed food is easier.

I know I'm weird about this. My parents ate badly growing up, and when I met my husband, he showed me that whole and healthy foods can taste really good. No more canned green beans to puke over. Using spices instead of soaking everything in butter. I'm not a skinny twig still, but my blood work is awesome,  and I can be a healthy weight if I exercise (getting back into it after taking a big pandemic break). My mom's family has obesity running through their veins, and they have so many health issues. The self-loathing my mom had over her weight wasted so much time and energy. My dad doesn't seem to have the self-loathing part, but he's waited so long for retirement that I don't want him to die within 2 years of finally getting to retire in August, at age 67.

I'm having my usually holiday bitchiness. LOL

I told Tina we had to get up early to go to Central Market (so I could get some fresh products I do for stocking stuffers) and she stayed up all night smoking and going in and out so I didn't get much sleep and I have about eleventy billion things to do. Like I wanted to bake some cookies for our Dad this morning to give him but we didn't get out the door until 10 AM instead of the early 7 am I wanted. So I've already had two sobbing sessions and one screaming session while hurrying to make cookies before I got to my second job where I told Tina, "well I guess it would be better if I was lazy! then no one would have anything for christmas and we'd just lie around and not have fun".

I have also had a meltdown the day before. I saw this really cute idea at a store for hand embroidered bandanas and thought I could make them but after the booster my arm has been fairly useless and the one I was doing for Dad turned out terrible so I gave up. I hate giving up. But it was going to make me spiral worse into maddening anger because I want to do these things. I will post a pic of what I mean in a minute for the bandanas. They wanted 50 bucks for them but I was like FEH I can make them. 

Also I way over spent. GAHDUH.

Not much family drama so far, but my MIL made a bit of a stink because all she got my son was a pair of slippers and she claims he chucked them and said UGH. So she called to ask what he wants for Christmas and he said he likes them but he only wears slippers at night. Nice recovery, buddy (but that is kind of how his brain works).

I got a Coravin, which is pretty cool. Everyone has definitely toned down the gift giving, which isn't a bad thing (my son especially gets overwhelmed by so many gifts and some years we actually have to stop and let him finish the next day or later in the evening).

The dog is not impressed with her matching pajamas.

20211225_081623.jpg

My wife has been really stressed out by a lot of things recently, so I got some bath bombs and salts for her to take nice, relaxing baths in.

We didn’t do too much other gift exchanging, really, this year.  We bought a freestanding punching bag to both practice for karate and get out stress. We also bought a nice bidet seat for our toilet on Black Friday.  That thing is magical.  Neither was really intended to be for Christmas, but they may as well have been.

3 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Your MIL is stupid.

Yeah, kind of. She is really bad at gifts, I don't know why. She picked something off the Amazon wish list this year so I guess she doesn't get all the blame. She definitely got more worked up than necessary. And my son is wearing the slippers right now. I honestly don't think that is how he reacted. I think I asked him if he wanted to wear them right away and he said no. Not saying ugh. My daughter is her favorite anyway so sometimes I think she makes shit up to justify it.

48 minutes ago, Gamevet said:

My wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas, so I told her that I wanted Skyward Sword and Metroid Dread for the Switch. She surprised me with the Special Edition of Dread. The included art book is pretty cool.

09DE65E9-B2AC-4E7F-B2CE-2ABC87FB77BF.thumb.jpeg.c363a87a73280c0fe07a7723e7ae259b.jpeg

I got my boys a switch along with Paw Patrol game and Minecraft.  I have been playing Tetris 99. 

42 minutes ago, Darth Krawlie said:

Katie got me some new whiskey glasses. Much better than the dollar store ones I already had.

Sweet!  My MiL got me Darth Vader whiskey glasses...they are prtty sweet. 

It was my wife's mom, my real mom has basically been out of the picture for ten years now so she was basically my mom now.  It sucks bad.  I think I've already gone through the five stages though.  The hurt comes and goes, but at this point after losing my grandpa to old age, a very good friend to an OD, an uncle to COVID, and many other things the last two years, I'm pretty much numb and over it.  I'll just make the best of things until the universe throws the next curveball at me or takes me too.

2 hours ago, D-Ray Kenobi said:

It was my wife's mom, my real mom has basically been out of the picture for ten years now so she was basically my mom now.  It sucks bad.  I think I've already gone through the five stages though.  The hurt comes and goes, but at this point after losing my grandpa to old age, a very good friend to an OD, an uncle to COVID, and many other things the last two years, I'm pretty much numb and over it.  I'll just make the best of things until the universe throws the next curveball at me or takes me too.

Jesus christ...that is awful.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.