Super pissed about being sick

I avoid crowds. I work from home. I’m masked when I’m out of the house. I wash my hands like a crazy man, and I don’t have any auto-immune disorders. Somehow I’m still sick with pneumonia at a level that I’ve gone from “I think I can just work through this” to “I really hope I don’t have to go to the hospital”. My fever is up to 102 with fever reducing drugs, and my chest hurts like crazy. It’s not COVID, thankfully, but it still sucks and I’m just super pissed.

4F86EA1A-93F7-450E-9E02-BB77D950D446.gif

2 minutes ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

You're sure you don't have an auto-immune disorder? I'm not kidding, I assumed you did from all the times you get deathly ill.

I recently went through a bunch of testing and it didn’t show anything. But I still am a little suspicious.

I dunno. You could just try NOT getting sick. It's not hard. Just stop being WEAK.

For real though that sucks. I'm incredibly fortunate in that I rarely get sick. Even when the rest of the house feels like death, I rarely catch anything and when I do it's usually minor and passes quickly. I tend to get annoyed when people around me are sick all the time, but I have to remind myself that I'M the outlier, and I should appreciate it more.

I have a fear of being one of those stereotype "man flu" guys, so even when I am sick I try to tough it out, which is an entirely different set of problems.

On 11/18/2021 at 8:53 PM, Darth Krawlie said:

I dunno. You could just try NOT getting sick. It's not hard. Just stop being WEAK.

For real though that sucks. I'm incredibly fortunate in that I rarely get sick. Even when the rest of the house feels like death, I rarely catch anything and when I do it's usually minor and passes quickly. I tend to get annoyed when people around me are sick all the time, but I have to remind myself that I'M the outlier, and I should appreciate it more.

I have a fear of being one of those stereotype "man flu" guys, so even when I am sick I try to tough it out, which is an entirely different set of problems.

My wife is a lot like you.

For me, I’ve got some set rules for when I’m sick enough to not work.  Mostly now they run around being able to talk, since my job is almost all talking on the phone. So if I can’t talk or if my fever is 102.5 or higher, that’s when it’s time to just rest and not die. An example of not being able to talk is having a loud, extended barking cough session after every three words.

I definitely called in sick last Thursday because my voice was going to go and my team expects me to drag every freaking word out of them and lead every discussion, and Thursdays are meeting days. That is always a legit reason to call in sick or at least work from home. I used to take work from home days before covid and everyone would roll their eyes when I would say look I can work but I have a nasty hacking cough. The older guys at my first job used to yell "Go home!" any time someone coughed anywhere nearby.

Honestly, any time I just feel like shit I call in sick. But that's not often.

On 11/18/2021 at 6:53 PM, Darth Krawlie said:

You are such an Edge Lord! 

On a serious note, Fozzie, I wonder if having had Covid twice if your immune system isn't compromised somehow.   Plus, I have heard that when one has pneumonia, one is more susceptible to get it again. 

Last month, I was sick for two weeks, but not from germs. I had cleaned a house for my landlord, and I used 409 spray cleaner. BAD idea! Chemicals and dust got into my lungs, and I spent a couple of weeks coughing like a plague victim. I had to miss work a couple of days, I was so sick. Really pissed me off because it was so preventable, and I couldn't do anything, could hardly sleep. I think I actually got a cold on top of that, due to my immune system being in the crapper, so then I was sneezing AND coughing. My lungs are still messed up. I still occasionally have coughing fits at night. 

I’m going to completely fuck myself saying this, but I haven’t been sick in at least 3 or 4 years. Not even a head cold. Nothing. And while I did get vaccinated back in April and May of this year for COViD, I have not gotten ill from it either. Which is a miracle considering I work in this shit every single day and run into hundreds of people every day.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.