Brand loyalty or overrated brands

Hobbes

2 hours ago, Ms. Spam said:

OH man, Krawlie. That was my jam in the summer as a kid. I'd go down and get one of those burgers and pick up a comic book from the rack in the back to read at home. My first X-Men and Spiderman comics were bought at an AMPM.

When I was in highschool, our drunk asses would show up at the local AMPM to buy 3 hotdogs for a $1. The pink dye used in the those would bleed onto the buns. We'd thought that they were awesome.

At the Racetrack (gas station) near where I lived in central Florida actually had sushi for a bit.  I swear, that was the best sushi I even had.  I probably ate it at least twice a week.  I get shit every time I say the best sushi ever was at a gas station.

There’s a grocery store near us that has sushi that is better than most of the restaurants nearby. Don’t know that I’d have the nerve to go for gas station sushi though.

Most people who complain about Taco Bell are only eating when they’re completely drunk and it’s more the combination of alcohol and grease that gets them. White Castle gets the same reputation.

2 hours ago, Fozzie said:

There’s a grocery store near us that has sushi that is better than most of the restaurants nearby. Don’t know that I’d have the nerve to go for gas station sushi though.

Same here.  Not even a California roll! LOL!

But Fry's (Kroger) has some decent deli sushi here in PHX.  Best sushi I have had though is at a place called Tokyo Lobby.   You wouldn't know it looking at the place. https://www.yelp.com/biz/tokyo-lobby-sushi-and-grill-glendale

3 hours ago, Fozzie said:

We do here as well (grocery store), but the sushi is made in house. Most gas station sushi is premade, generic, and stale tasting. 

There is a Buc-ees in Daytona and in Jacksonville. I've driven to the east coast to go to a restaurant, but a gas station is a little much. Even if it is a kick ass gas station.  When I was driving to the Miami Florida State game a couple of weeks ago, I saw a billboard on  interstate 10 that said Buc-ees 269 mi.  I thought wait a second. That's Alabama. Why the fuck would you put that billboard here?!?

• 2 weeks later...

The only time I have designer brand name clothing is if I happen to buy it in a thrift store. I'm not looking at labels, because I don't care whose name is on it. I doubt that the people whose names are on the clothes personally design anything, anyway, since they're rich enough to hire other people to do that. If the clothes are comfortable and I like how they look, I buy them. The only exception is Gloria Vanderbilt jeans, because they fit me perfectly, so now I look for them whenever I'm in a secondhand store.

Other than that, I am completely without brand loyalty towards pretty much anything. I just want it to do the job it's supposed to do, for as long as possible so I don't have to buy a new thing anytime soon. Buying something just because it has a particular name stamped on it has never been my thing. Even as a teen, I didn't understand it, maybe because I grew up too poor to be impressed by status symbols.

4 hours ago, Chalcedony said:

The only time I have designer brand name clothing is if I happen to buy it in a thrift store. I'm not looking at labels, because I don't care whose name is on it. I doubt that the people whose names are on the clothes personally design anything, anyway, since they're rich enough to hire other people to do that. If the clothes are comfortable and I like how they look, I buy them. The only exception is Gloria Vanderbilt jeans, because they fit me perfectly, so now I look for them whenever I'm in a secondhand store.

Other than that, I am completely without brand loyalty towards pretty much anything. I just want it to do the job it's supposed to do, for as long as possible so I don't have to buy a new thing anytime soon. Buying something just because it has a particular name stamped on it has never been my thing. Even as a teen, I didn't understand it, maybe because I grew up too poor to be impressed by status symbols.

I wish I was like that.  And it is a part of me that I hate.  For Christmas I asked for a few flannel shirts and they were all brand names,  I was huge into grunge as a teen and resented brand names.  Now I gave a list of brand names to my wife that were acceptable.  What thehell has happened to me...

Brand name flannel doesn't sound that douchey, especially if you are actually looking for good outdoor quality and not just some stuff that looks cool from Target.

I like weird lesser name outdoor brands, like 32 Degrees. They sell it at Costco and it's good quality and warm. I love how Eddie Bauer stuff looks but it doesn't always look that good on me because I'm not 5'8 and 110 lbs like their models. Their pants are always way too long and the petite stuff is usually out of stock.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2021 at 4:03 PM, Fozzie said:

Most people who complain about Taco Bell are only eating when they’re completely drunk and it’s more the combination of alcohol and grease that gets them. White Castle gets the same reputation.

A few months ago I stopped at a Taco Bell off of the interstate outside of Atlanta and the self-serve kiosk they had is an absolute gamechanger.  You can customize basically anything on the menu with ever single ingredient they have and it's amazing.

On 12/14/2021 at 3:32 PM, Cerina said:

There is a world of difference between liking a brand to be trendy and liking it because you recognize the quality/fit. 

I got a Toad and Co flannel shirt which is awesome.  I am super hard on my clothes and I keep them for years. 

I like Eddie Bauer, but it doesn't fit me quite right.  Everyone I know that wears it a lot is tall and lean. 

On 12/27/2021 at 9:23 AM, D-Ray Kenobi said:

A few months ago I stopped at a Taco Bell off of the interstate outside of Atlanta and the self-serve kiosk they had is an absolute gamechanger.  You can customize basically anything on the menu with ever single ingredient they have and it's amazing.

In college we played a team way out in rural Kansas once a year that had a Ken-Taco-Hut-Silvers that had a buffet with all the restaurants.  Being a D2 school, pretty much every away soccer game meant a 10-12 hour round trip in a smelly ass van.  That was the one road trip I looked forward too--it was a super smelly trip the rest of the way home. 

4 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

This is totally why I dropped soccer. There was no way I was going to get rocket science homework done in a van for an away game where I wouldn't see a minute of playing time.

LOL--I had to change my major from physics my sophomore year this very reason.  I eventually finished it.  But I like to say that I earned a degree in college my first go round in undergrad. 

Yeah, I was a 2nd semester junior when we formed the team, so I was already too far in to change. My senior year they brought in a bunch of freshman majoring in psychology or whatever major they thought seemed easiest. I got through pre-season and decided to drop. I wish I had asked if I could just practice and go to home games, but coach was kind of crazy (diagnosed bipolar but refused to take her meds), so I was afraid to ask. They lost half the freshman girls the first year because they forgot they were there to go to college, not just play soccer. Also the best player on the team transferred from Virginia Tech where she was a starter because she was homesick. She played my position (attacking center mid) , so I was never going to see a minute of playing time unless she literally died on the field.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.