Brand loyalty or overrated brands

Hobbes

I remember reading a consumer reports article on cooler brands.  Yeti, which charges like $40 for a coffee cup, came out near the bottom.  Ozark Trail, the Wal-Mart brand, came out as the #1 brand.  I didn't find that article from a few years ago, but a more recent article puts Yeti in the middle of the pack without factoring in cost.  Other reviews show sub-$60 coolers outperform Yeti's $500 coolers.  I bought a new Igloo brand tumbler out of spite to everyone here with their Yetis. 

I hate this outdoor chic trend...Patagonia, Yeti, PrAhna, FjallRaven have emerged charging ridiculous prices for everything from flannel shirts to gloves.  Stuff like Columbia and North Face, brands that used to be high end twenty years ago, are now low to mid-range in pricing. 

But with that said...I LOVE Arc'Teryx.  Maybe it is the logo or the slightly more minimal branding...but I will throw out all the reasons I hate the aforementioned brands for Arc'Teryx.  I am a TOTAL hypocrite.

Are there any brands, generic or otherwise, you are somewhat blindly loyal to?

• Hobbes changed the title to Brand loyalty or overrated brands

I've always assumed that the Yeti stuff was super durable because of the price. I personally wouldn't pay that much for their stuff, but i wouldn't use it enough anyways. 

My wife bought our grandson a pair of Jordan Ones. I told her she was crazy, that i personally have never spent over $90(before tax) on a pair of Nikes. 

We have a Yeti cooler. My mom won it at a work Christmas party one year, and now we have it. It's heavy as fuck. And it really doesn't do much more than an Igloo. We have a lot of Rtic stuff tho, but that's because we used to live like right across the street from their warehouse, and so many of our friends make personalized tumblers.

The only brand I'm like stupidly loyal to is The Happy Planner. I have damn near all their stuff, and I look forward to the new releases every few months. BUT...the founder/owner retired last year and sold the company to some big investment firm, and pretty much everything I loved about the company has gone south. They've obviously changed manufacturers because the paper and sticker quality has changed. They used to do have so much fun with the new releases several times a year - they'd do live reveals on FB and/or Instagram where they'd do full flip-throughs of all the new stuff and tell us what stores everything would be at - and now they don't do any of that. They started buying designs from the same people other sticker sellers buy designs from instead of using their own in-house designers, so now their stuff isn't even original or unique. Plus, they just raised the prices on everything, which wouldn't be that big of a deal since damn near everywhere has raised prices, but because of all the aforementioned BS, I'm hesitant to want to pay the new prices (even though, honestly, I typically wait for things to go on sale at Michaels or Joann anyway). 

I'm a stan for anything Adidas.  I run a lot and their shoes hold up incredibly well, they make really good shorts and pants too.  I never had any of the same luck with any other brand like Nike or whatever.  I also will pony up for Levi's pants.  I've had some of the same pairs for nearly a decade and they still basically look new.

Also Tesla has completely won me over.  I got my Model 3 used for an insanely good price before the chip shortages hit both used and new prices hard, but I still have like three years of a full warranty on it.  Apparently even if I get a flat tire, the remote repair truck will come to where I am and there's no charge whatsoever.  It's also the only car I've ever had that's gotten better as time goes on.  Software updates have made my speaker system better and increased my battery range, I'm living in the freaking future.

Toyota for life, man. I don't care what you say. I love the crap out of my Prius.

That said I don't understand the love for Chic-Fil-A or In N Out. As brands go I don't really think they're that great. I'll eat it. Especially since the In N Out near me is open late and they keep their drive thru going and a number three doesn't break the bank but it's just a burger. I am slowly weening my sister off Starbucks. We'll see. 

Now on the subject of tumblers for drinking, we buy Buc-ee's cups or Bubba's in my house.

I love In N Out and make it a priority any time I'm out on the West Coast.  But if I had it around to get anytime, I'd probably get tired of it too.

I won't go on my own accord to Chic-Fil-A because the people that own it are trash, and it tends to attract the holier than thou crowd.  But if somebody is buying it for me I'll keep that to myself because it's still good.

1 hour ago, Ms. Spam said:

Toyota for life, man. I don't care what you say. I love the crap out of my Prius.

That said I don't understand the love for Chic-Fil-A or In N Out. As brands go I don't really think they're that great. I'll eat it. Especially since the In N Out near me is open late and they keep their drive thru going and a number three doesn't break the bank but it's just a burger. I am slowly weening my sister off Starbucks. We'll see. 

Now on the subject of tumblers for drinking, we buy Buc-ee's cups or Bubba's in my house.

Chic-Fil-A and In N Out are both overrated.  Wendy's and Popeyes are both the top of fast food burgers and chicken.

We have a Rav 4 now and I am not a fan.  I had three Honda's in a row (97 Accord, 01 Civic, 06 Pilot) that all lasted to 250K miles.  Come at me. 

I loved my Toyota Highlander until it got old. It wasn't the miles it was the years. It eventually developed engine trouble and I said see ya. We own 2 Volvo and we love them but the older one is having some wiring issues and that's getting old fast. We will be trading it in for an F150 Lightning whenever they can give us one.

I love Adidas soccer shoes and now my daughter is also an adi-phile. She has some hand me down Diadoras currently and they are a nice second, but when we have to purchase a new pair because we don't have the next size up, we will buy Adidas again. She says they are very comfortable and just fit her right and hold up well.

I consistently buy Brooks running shoes. The fit is great for me and they are supportive. I just switched from the Adrenaline to the Ghost and irs nice not to have to think about it, just buy a new pair. I also love Keen hiking shoes and sandals. They just fit me well (generous toe box).

On 11/9/2021 at 11:46 AM, Ms. Spam said:

I don’t own a Toyota, but my company truck is a Tacoma. Those things are very reliable. We’ve had a couple of trucks in the company fleet that lasted  over 250,000 miles with very little maintenance.

I honestly don’t get the love for In N Out. They have the shittiest fries of any fast food chain and why have their cheap Big Mac knockoff, when I’d just rather have the real thing with decent fries.

I was pretty loyal to Sony, when it came to televisions. When it came time to buy a flat screen television back in 2009, I started looking elsewhere. Sony wanted $1,500 for a very middle of the road 46” display, while I could get a much better  52” Samsung display for a little bit more. I still have that Samsung television and it’s been beyond reliable. My next television purchase will likely be from Samsung. I’m not going back to Sony.

The Sony 4K 60 inch tv was AWESOME that I got myself a few years ago. I only had it for three weeks before the cats ruined it. They are overpriced though. Samsung TVs and monitors are good. I think I've had the same Samsung monitor at my second job for 10 years. The colors starting to in it though and they're talking about going to ACERs because of the better price point.

I don't buy a lot of stuff, but I have a Patagonia fleece that I've had for 15 years and it still looks brand new. I don't own anything else by them, but my wife has a couple of items and we've gotten some used stuff for the kids, and some if it was stuff that my brother-in-law got used, it went through his 3 kids, and then has gone through 2 of our kids, and still holds up really well. It may not be that different from the cheaper stuff when both are new, but it seems to last longer.

I've got a pair of Puma's that I'm going to wear until they're falling apart and then replace with another pair, and I always buy the exact same running shoe - Mizuno Wave Riders. And I will fight anyone on Chick-fil-A versus Popeyes. Popeyes is always dry, and Chick-fil-A is always moist and delicious. 

I think the only mildly annoying thing about Patagonia is that it's super on trend and you see hipsters in it all the time. But to be fair the design of Patagonia clothing seems to always be on point. They've got solid brand identity and they stick to it. I'd way rather rock a fleece from them than some north face polyester made on the cheap in a Bangladeshi factory. Patagonia are one of the first fashion (I use that term in the broadest sense, literally ALL clothes is fashion) brands to really try to be as sustainable/ethical as they can be given the limitations of technology, materials, textiles, production etc. I mean, nothing is truly sustainable or ethical in fashion production but Patagonia certainly try harder than 90% of the other brands out there. Not that I'm a shill, I don't own a single piece of Patagonia clothing. Lol. 

The most glaring brand loyalty that winds me up is people who still love Apple. I can't even. 

HAHAHA. Chic-Fil-A sammiches are meh. It's basically chicken marinated in pickle juice and then deep fried in a kind of southern style breading. It's weird you haven't had a Popeye's that is good. I've gotten pretty good chicken from Popeyes. I love their mashed potatoes. For food loyalty I'm probably a local BBQ chains biggest fan. I didn't even cancel culture them when it came out the owner contributes to a billion GOP things because their brisket tacos and fried chicken and UNsweetened tea at the BOMB and reasonably priced. BILL MILLER'S FOR LIFE. https://www.billmillerbbq.com/

16 hours ago, Odine said:

The most glaring brand loyalty that winds me up is people who still love Apple. I can't even. 

I've only ever had iphones and never an android, so whenever it comes time to get a new phone, I just get another iphone. Don't wanna take the time to learn a new phone/OS since I'm so familiar with the iphone already. But I use a PC and not a Mac, so.

46 minutes ago, Darth Krawlie said:

I've only ever had iphones and never an android, so whenever it comes time to get a new phone, I just get another iphone. Don't wanna take the time to learn a new phone/OS since I'm so familiar with the iphone already. But I use a PC and not a Mac, so.

I’ve done both, but it’s super convenient to have an iPhone when the people you communicate most with have one as well. FaceTime, iMessage, etc. 

Plus I get used phones free from my mom and she only does iPhones.

2 hours ago, Ms. Spam said:

HAHAHA. Chic-Fil-A sammiches are meh. It's basically chicken marinated in pickle juice and then deep fried in a kind of southern style breading. It's weird you haven't had a Popeye's that is good. I've gotten pretty good chicken from Popeyes. I love their mashed potatoes. For food loyalty I'm probably a local BBQ chains biggest fan. I didn't even cancel culture them when it came out the owner contributes to a billion GOP things because their brisket tacos and fried chicken and UNsweetened tea at the BOMB and reasonably priced. BILL MILLER'S FOR LIFE. https://www.billmillerbbq.com/

OMG! You need to get out of San Antonio. Bill Miller BBQ is awful. They make Colters BBQ look like a 5 star joint, and Colters is just your run of the mill BBQ chain. We’re spoiled here in Dallas. We have Hard 8 BBQ, Cattlerack BBQ and Ten50. Cattlerack is across the street from my office and their restaurant portion is only open on Thursday and Friday. People are lining up as early as 10 am, because at least 200 people show up on those days and they are usually cleaned out by 1:30.

I don’t know what the deal is with San Antonio, because it’s really hard to find a BBQ joint beyond Bill Millers and the old black man that had a BBQ joint called Ni**er Bobs, is no longer around there.

I use Android because unfortunately Google is so integrated into my life that switching would be a huge hassle, so I get people who cite similar reasons for iPhone. I was an early adopter for Android. But I do find it hilarious that in 2021, iPhone users get really confused when I tell them I don't have FaceTime. Our realtor was like well then how do I video call you? Um, Zoom?

I have an Android and I can still make video calls. I think it uses Google. If not there's always FB messenger, Google Meet, Zoom...

And Bill Miller isn't really all that great. I've never understood the hype. It's like the In & Out of BBQ joints. But I'm also like SUPER PICKY about my BBQ. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.