Does Tomahawk chop!

Ms. Spam

2 hours ago, Ms. Spam said:

I feel like they changed it due to the baseball union or else they'd be playing for the whole year with no time off.

They could chop off about 30 games out of the 163 game season. They don't need that many games to prove who's the best in baseball. They have to measure games by series winners to give it any meaning. It's like 3 games equals a quarter in a football game. MLB needs to make changes, to bring the game back into the spotlight.

• 2 months later...

For all the years the Braves had a good team but wound up coming up short in the playoffs, this year was a nice surprise. I honestly thought they were not going to be able to overtake the Mets midway through the season. I also read something cool about the Braves this year. They won 44 games in the 1st half, won 44 games in the second half, and won the World Series in the 44th week of 2021.

On 11/3/2021 at 8:24 PM, Gamevet said:

They could chop off about 30 games out of the 163 game season. They don't need that many games to prove who's the best in baseball. They have to measure games by series winners to give it any meaning. It's like 3 games equals a quarter in a football game. MLB needs to make changes, to bring the game back into the spotlight.

So if you only count "series winners" what happens when the same team wins the first 2 of a 3 game series? You cancel the third game? Just tell the fans not to come? Or do you play a game that doesnt count?

2 hours ago, The Choc said:

So if you only count "series winners" what happens when the same team wins the first 2 of a 3 game series? You cancel the third game? Just tell the fans not to come? Or do you play a game that doesnt count?

Drop an Interleague series or 2. It's not like they have as much meaning to fans as the games in their own division. It's not like Interleague play even existed before the 90s. 

35 minutes ago, The Choc said:

I still dont get what you are saying at all.

I thought you were talking about the regular season. I was talking about the playoffs. 

Baseball just rips through the playoffs in a couple of weeks and then it's The World Series. Why not have a best of 5 for the Wild Card, just to make things a little more interesting. How about spreading out a series for the whole week, with at least one game in a series being during a Friday or Saturday night. They have to do something different from what they are doing now, because the sport isn't being adopted by a younger audience, like what it was doing in the 90s. 

The season is too long and the playoffs go by too quickly for people to take notice.

People have been saying baseball is dying and losing young people for 100 years. The sport is doing fine. The regular season is a fine length. If you wanted to knock it back to 154 games like the old days that'd be ok. Anything more and the game loses its integrity.

Most baseball fans would actually completely disagree with what you are saying about the playoffs. They are too long as is. They should be taking teams out of the playoffs, not adding to them. Although they will never do that.

The dynamics of baseball is what leads to it being a regular season sport. A very good baseball team will win 60% of it's games. A poor one 40%. As opposed to say the NFL where the best teams can win nearly 90% of its games, the worst may only win 10%. 

Because of this the regular season needs to be long to separate the teams. You also should have fewer teams in the playoffs because lesser teams are much more likely to beat better teams than in other sports. 

In baseball simply making the playoffs should be an accomplishment but the more teams they add the less it is and the more they will ruin what makes the sport great in the name of collecting more short term postseason ad dollars.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.