Book of Boba Fett

Darth Krawlie

I, prolly others as well, mentioned the Mando armor thing in the Mando thread. I was like… maybe stop making armor and make your ships out of it.

I, prolly others as well, also mentioned that Grogu is a way for Disney to setup another trilogy of films. Grogu will go missing or be sent away at some point, away from Mando and Luke or at the very least away from Luke and all his Jedi hopefuls. Then set up a new trilogy like three hundred years past “Rey and the Destruction of a Mythos”. Grogu will be a frog leaping, spinning, force using cool guy prolly voiced by Michael Peña who gets to continue his fun fast talking storytelling this time talking about all the crazy shit from the past “Saga”. Everyone will then bitch how this version is totally inferior to what was. ;-) Star Wars, Wars never change.

Yeah but....

To ruin the emotional impact of the season finale of Mando by having an off-screen choice made by Grogu in a rando episode of another show... I just... I don't get it. Maybe they were deep into production on Fett and realized it was awful so they had to save it? Literally everything that made the ending of Mando S2 amazing, magical, surprising, and touching was overblown and watered down.

Grogu made his choice-- but is still using the force. You want Darth Vaders? That's how you get Darth Vaders. So basically, Luke is failing yet again.

It seems to me that the idea of separate Star Wars shows has gone out the window. It looks to me that they are just going to crossover everything.  I am not a fan of this.  I like connections, but I don't like the idea of each show having to be watched to understand what is going on in another show.   They are taking for granted if you watch Mando, you are also going to watch Boba Fett, Ahsoka, and whatever else, and it just essentially becomes one big show, instead of individual and separate shows.

Boba riding a rancor into a firefight was probably the best thing that character has ever done on screen. I didn't know I needed that in my life until it happened. That and Grogu napping with the rancor. Can I get like 6 episode of Grogu and the rancor? Probably be a better show than whatever the hell this was. 

1 hour ago, Zathras said:

It seems to me that the idea of separate Star Wars shows has gone out the window. It looks to me that they are just going to crossover everything.  I am not a fan of this.  I like connections, but I don't like the idea of each show having to be watched to understand what is going on in another show.   They are taking for granted if you watch Mando, you are also going to watch Boba Fett, Ahsoka, and whatever else, and it just essentially becomes one big show, instead of individual and separate shows.

So the Marvel method!

46 minutes ago, CoLA said:

So the Marvel method!

At least with Marvel you can watch one show without having to watch another. I didn’t have to watch to watch Loki to follow what’s happening in Hawkeye. 

I don’t have a problem with characters from the comics and animated series popping up because you don’t have to of read/watched them to follow along. But this is literally a case of having to watch this show for the next season of Mando to make any sense. 

3 hours ago, Tank said:

Yeah but....

To ruin the emotional impact of the season finale of Mando by having an off-screen choice made by Grogu in a rando episode of another show... I just... I don't get it. Maybe they were deep into production on Fett and realized it was awful so they had to save it? Literally everything that made the ending of Mando S2 amazing, magical, surprising, and touching was overblown and watered down.

Grogu made his choice-- but is still using the force. You want Darth Vaders? That's how you get Darth Vaders. So basically, Luke is failing yet again.

The problem with this is that the emotion of that final Mando scene was misplaced. Yes seeing Luke fight was really fun but everything he does after slicing through the droids was wrong. At the end of that scene every fan should have thought "what the hell are you doing Luke." Thats when the failing occured and everything after that is a consequence of Luke taking the baby. Grogu's time with Luke was never going to go well.

The emotional bond between Grogu and Mando is a seperate issue. I'll 100% agree that by having them reunited so quickly is kind of a cop out. 

Just started episode 3. I love Stephen Root but this is just bad. It’s everything bad about the prequels on a smaller scale, and no cool Jedi stuff to save it.

Danny Trejo delivering a rancor? 

The chase scene really needed The Who blaring in the background. Boba hired a gang of space Mods to fight for him.

For me the issue with characters crossing over is this: There is still a hierarchy in Star Wars. It goes: Movies--Live Action TV--Cartoons--Everything else.

When you move a character down a rung on that ladder it works fine. For instance if you want to say have Tarkin as a villain on "Andor" it will work right away. 99% of the people watching "Andor" will know who he is. Everything will think "hey this guy signed the order to execute Leia and ordered the destruction of Alderaan, hes a dick". You don't have to establish the character, he already is for basically everyone watching the show. 

However when you move a character up the pecking order it doesn't work that way. A good number of people watching Mando aren't familiar with Ahsoka. A good number of people watching BOBF don't know Cad Bane. You can't just put them out there. Now that doesn't mean it can;t work. Cobb Vanth comes from a book and is great on the live action shows. But I don't think the shows assume any kind of knowledge of him. Whereas I think with Bane there is an assumption of being familiar. He don't show up till the end of the penultimate episode and then was the main villain of the finale on a show with no clear main villain.

Basically you never want someone watching to think "i gotta watch a friggin cartoon to know whats going on." Which has happened with Mando and BOBF. Whereas the other way very very very few people are gonna say "geez I gotta watch A New Hope to know whats going on!" because everyone has watched ANH. 

1000000%

Like I said, it's just FIloni bringing his cartoon toys to life. I have less than zero interest in an Ahsoka show, and Cad Bane was nothing to me but a grumpy cowboy stereotype who gave off an intended aura of "see this guy is actually tougher/cooler/better than Boba Fett!!!!" even though they both suck.

The opinion of each character is doing to vary. Cad Bane coulda been cool had he been introduced in the first episode as the henchman of the syndicate and played a villanious role throughout. Which looking back I don't see why he didn't. Why not show him leading the killing of the Tuskens, then covering it up to look like the bikers. Why not show him intimidating the mayor or the twins?  Ahsoka as a show can work but they have to assume no knowledge of her or what happened between her and Anakin. Which they can 100% do. If they assume knowledge of the cartoons it will turn alot of people off. 

Overall it seems very obvious that this era if Star Wars between the OT and ST is being given to Favreau and Filoni and it will feature alot from the cartoons. I don't love that but thats where they are going and alot of people do love all the crossing over, so this is for them.

Im hoping between Obi Wan, Andor, Lando I get more of what I want which would be more self contained storylines inside each show. All three of those shows should take place far enough in time from the "Mandoverse" that crossing over with it should not really happen.

They are making enough content where most fans should get something that is near exact what they want. My hope is I get something that is right up my alley and then the stuff that isn;'t I still enjoy and is pretty good. 

Right, I think to some people at Lucasflm there is no hierarchy. That is pretty clear. I think thats a mistake on their part. It will eventually push fans away. If you are releasing 4 shows and eventually movies either theatrically or on streaming and you are making people watch 30 hours of content a year to truly appreciate any of that 30 hours yes you will cultivate a fandom that will 100% watch all 30 hours and be obsessed. However you will also create people who just give up on all of it. 

As I said a couple posts ago I think, well hope, that this Favreau/Filoniverse will feature all this cross over and assume knowledge of everything. But then stuff like Kenobi, Lando, Andor will be more self contained where a fan can reasonably decide to watch Kenobi but skip Andor and lose nothing because of it. 

9 minutes ago, The Choc said:

Right, I think to some people at Lucasflm there is no hierarchy. That is pretty clear. I think thats a mistake on their part.

I believe LFL made that clear when they established a “story group” who would be the keepers of all things Star Wars to keep the continuity between all mediums correctly in place. 

I agree with your assessment of the hierarchy. But LFL decided everything will be canon probably to force fandom to have to consume everything. Before it was the films and if you wanted to consume other stuff it was your choice. Now when you see the films or shows and you don’t understand something, you have to “read the book” to get a clearer picture. 

I haven’t watched 10 minutes of the cartoons and I had no trouble following Ahsoka and it doesn’t sound like you need Cad Bane’s backstory. One thing that’s been great about Star Wars at its best is that it has rich characters with backgrounds that exist. Honestly, if there was a cartoon in 1980 that showed why Lando maybe hated Han, you would still get all you need from ESB. Don’t mistake having characters from other media as a sign that you have to watch that media to understand anything.

I dunno, at the end of BOBF when he has his standoff with Boba they talk about their past. This is like the climactic moment of the show and its between 2 characters who haven't met on the show for more than one other scene till this point. It certainly seems to assume knowledge of what has transpired between the 2 prior to this showdown for maximum affect 

3 minutes ago, Lord Darth Hunter said:

I believe LFL made that clear when they established a “story group” who would be the keepers of all things Star Wars to keep the continuity between all mediums correctly in place. 

I agree with your assessment of the hierarchy. But LFL decided everything will be canon probably to force fandom to have to consume everything. Before it was the films and if you wanted to consume other stuff it was your choice. Now when you see the films or shows and you don’t understand something, you have to “read the book” to get a clearer picture. 

I always felt the story group was simply in place to make the stuff lower down in the hierarchy match up with the stuff on top of it while giving the people making the most important stuff total freedom to not worry what the other stuff was doing. 

2 hours ago, The Choc said:

I dunno, at the end of BOBF when he has his standoff with Boba they talk about their past. This is like the climactic moment of the show and its between 2 characters who haven't met on the show for more than one other scene till this point. It certainly seems to assume knowledge of what has transpired between the 2 prior to this showdown for maximum affect 

But if you didn’t know there was a cartoon could the scene play out the same? 

4 hours ago, Fozzie said:

I haven’t watched 10 minutes of the cartoons and I had no trouble following Ahsoka and it doesn’t sound like you need Cad Bane’s backstory. One thing that’s been great about Star Wars at its best is that it has rich characters with backgrounds that exist. Honestly, if there was a cartoon in 1980 that showed why Lando maybe hated Han, you would still get all you need from ESB. Don’t mistake having characters from other media as a sign that you have to watch that media to understand anything.

This. I think there is sometimes a feeling you need to know a characters backstory when you are aware/find out they come from a comic or cartoon, but people I know who only casually watch the movies/shows never mentioned they felt lost with the introduction of the characters. 

Until now they got that balance right, but now having to watch Boba Fett to follow the main story of the Mandalorian is crossing the line. I’ve had to tell people who gave up on the third episode to keep watching if they want Mando S3 to work, which is never a good sign. 

18 hours ago, The Choc said:

So like Obi-Wan and Vader in ANH? :P

I think some are making too much out of this, you don't need to know much about Cad Bane other than he is a bad dude working for bad dudes. It's just like when we first saw Boba in ESB, we only knew he was a bounty hunter and he sometimes disintegrated people. I've seen all of the CW show and there really isn't much more to know about Bane other than he and Fett knew each other before.

Same with Ahsoka, if you know her backstory, cool! If you don't, you just know she was a Jedi who knew Anakin before.

On 2/13/2022 at 2:30 PM, The Choc said:

Im hoping between Obi Wan, Andor, Lando I get more of what I want which would be more self contained storylines inside each show. All three of those shows should take place far enough in time from the "Mandoverse" that crossing over with it should not really happen.

What are the odds of a Boba cameo in the Obi Wan series?  I mean we know Obi is gonna be on Tantooine a lot and Boba's done a lot of work in the past for Jabba who resides there as well....  But I guess it will depend on what part of the 18 yrs between RotS and ANH the series will be set in as Boba is 8-12 at the end of RotS?

Doubt it will have any crossover storylines like Mando/Book of Boba Fett though

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.