Book of Boba Fett

Darth Krawlie

That’s the same explanation I told myself while watching this. When he fell into the Sarlacc he thought he was done. By surviving  that he comes out of it thinking, holy spit, I made it out of there. No one has done that before. I need to do something with this second chance I just got. I don’t like it. But I can see it as being the reason why he’s not the Boba we knew before. 

On 1/8/2022 at 7:06 AM, Zathras said:

I seem to remember that the reason we got a Mando show in the first place is that Disney didn't want a show about Boba because he WAS a villain.   Now, it seems they decided Boba is going to be a hero or antihero.  I suppose the in story explanation could be that Boba had an epiphany with his near death experience in the Sarlacc and stay with the Tuskens, and decided he doesn't want to be a bounty hunter anymore and do something more productive (maybe even heroic).  At least that is how it seems to me. 

Lucasfilm had to get the powers that be aboard. The Fett movie was tanked because at the end of the day, he was a villain, and without screwing continuity, you have to hang it on not-known actor who played a bit role in the PT.

So the Fett movie becomes The Mandalorian show, where you have a known actor playing an adjacent character who is less morally bad, and more good. Best of both worlds. Then they bring the actual Fett in as guest star, which makes fans SUPER happy. That gives them the ammo to now transition to giving him his own show. Still a risk though. Ming-Na Wen isn't there to be pretty. She's the level of actor/genre star (after Mulan and Agents of SHIELD) that she can help carry a show. Not a slam against Temura, but studios need known faces to hang stuff on, and he is not known outside of Star Wars and New Zealand.

So now we get Fett, and as much as it pains me to say it, I think maybe he's better as a supporting character. I liked Mano WAY more than this. It also feels to me like this show was scrapped together from pieces left over fro Mando, and the more I read about the production, that seems like it may actually be the case.

On 1/8/2022 at 9:35 AM, Lord Darth Hunter said:

That’s the same explanation I told myself while watching this. When he fell into the Sarlacc he thought he was done. By surviving  that he comes out of it thinking, holy spit, I made it out of there. No one has done that before. I need to do something with this second chance I just got. I don’t like it. But I can see it as being the reason why he’s not the Boba we knew before. 

Yeah, you could say he had a long time to do some Soul Searching.

I think he's taking the approach of giving everyone a chance and being less quick to judge. He doesn't want to do the bidding for anyone.

The story here is missing a step, not just for Boba but for this kind of story in general. You need the step where the outside wants nothing to do with the tribe he is joining. Boba is just too eager to stay and help too quick.

When in the first episode he kills the monster and saves the boy thats as much self preservation as any kind of altruism in saving the kid. He goes back with the head and the tribe celebrates him for kiling the beast and saving the kid, which makes sense.

Boba though needs for a while to be like "hey I saved this kid, you owe me. Get me out of here. Im Boba Fett I wear kick ass armor and fly an awesome ship around the galaxy having adventures. I dont eek a living out in the desert digging in the sand for jars of water."

He doesn;t need to be outwardly hostile to the sand people he just needs to want to have nothing to do with them and get back to his old life. But he is forced to stay because he is in the middle of the desert, doesnt really know where he is and he needs their help to get him somewhere. 

Then in the course of them slowly helping him get to anchorhead or wherever he starts to see value in their way of life and respect them more and more. Then when they are attacked he chooses to stay and help them, eventhough he right on the cusp or getting to anchorhead and having the choice to leave.

It just feels a bit like he accepts them and wants to be a part of their tribe almost immediately. Its missing a step. Fett is at the least morally ambiguous. In the OT hes a villain but you can make the case from a certain POV hes just a guy doing a job. You could built this story based on that thought process of ambiguity. It does feel like this show he comes out of the sarlaac and is just a do gooder from the start which seems off. You need another step both overall for this type of story and also for Fett in particular. 

Do you think that the writers were going for some kind of loss of identity, when the Jawas stripped Boba of all of his gear? He was merely a man, once he was stripped of all his power. 

Boba probably would have died, if the Sand People didn't enslave him. He could have easily killed the kid, took his supplies and escaped with at least a day lead on the Sand People. He chose to earn the respect of the Sand People instead, and the chieftain took notice. He was making the best of his situation and earning allies, instead of enemies.

On 1/5/2022 at 1:25 PM, Zathras said:

Clearly they are either ignoring or retconning the TCW.  No mention of Jabba's son or anything.   I am Ok with that, as long as there is a good explanation for Bib taking over.

So I just read that the answer to our question is in a comic book series called The War of the Bounty Hunters. Apparently in this series Darth Vader goes on one of his killing sprees and wipes out the Grand Hutt Council. (I never knew that's what it was called but there you go.) Vader's massacre resulted in a massive power vacuum not just on Tatooine but everywhere the Hutts operated. This is how Bib Fortuna was able to take control of Jabba's former organization and why it took so long for the Hutt twins to re-enter the fold. 

Honestly I like this explanation. I just hate that once again, it's one of those elements where in order to understand what's going on in a show/film you have to "read the book."

As for why the Hutts let Bib take over there is a quick exchange in the 2nd episode where the one lady mentions the twins coming back and Boba is like "they are busy dealing with whatever on whatever planet." So although its quick they do try to give a quick reason why they havent come to take over on Tatooine. They are dealing with stuff on some other planet. 

Another "ok" episode. Some cool moments. The Tuksen tribe being destroyed like that was a surprise. Some cool shots of the desert. Those speeder bikes just look weird and the chase had no sense of speed to it, wasnt good. Also do we need to "rehabilitate" the Rancor monster too?

Really though I just don't care what happens. Is Fett some sort of interesting character I care about? NOt at all. Mando had Baby Yoda who was just so damn adorable and such an amazing creation that if you didn't care what happened to him you had no heart. This show is lacking even that. 

I think the issue is Rodriguez. His guerrilla filmmaking just doesn’t work with Star Wars. The difference in quality from this weeks and last weeks is almost night and day. 

He just makes each scene feel like a cheap fan film. That chase scene at the end reeked of Spy Kids.

Anyone else feel like the whole "Star" part of Star Wars is missing here? I mean a Star Wars story that only takes place on 1 planet just don't seem right. 

Also what I thought I was going to dig about the show seems to be doing away with. I liked the whole false politeness and veiled threats between the different parties. Not knowing who is on what side really. You had Fett, the Mayor, the Hutts. Then you did feel there was some other power lurking in the distance.

With the Hutts and Mayor leaving and the Pikes showing up it feels like that aspect ofo the show will be gone. Seems like in the past its going to turn out the Pikes worked wiht that one gang to wipe out the Tribe and now in the present Boba will be trying to exact revenge. 

I remember at some point in the mid-2000s there was talk about producing a Star Wars Underworld show.  Basically, this show is it.  My opinion is that Boba as a crime boss is sort of a waste of material for this show.   There should be a new crime boss (maybe make that Boss a non villain/antihero) he works for and kicks ass.   That is where Boba shines, IMHO

I like the flashbacks, but after Ep 3, I am forced to agree with you guy this show is not as good as Mandalorian.  I would not say it is the worst Star Wars ever, but not great, either.   I hope these early episodes are just setting up a big pay off.   

22 hours ago, The Choc said:

Also do we need to "rehabilitate" the Rancor monster too?

OMG this times 100.  

10 hours ago, Tank said:

This whole thing feels like a fan film.

It feels like that at points, but as a whole, it feels more like a video game.  Hell, a lot of the stuff we see has been done in KOTOR!  Biker gangs, Tusken Raiders, monsters in the desert, Hutt cameos, etc.  In fact, Boba in this feels more like a cross between Canderous Ordo and Revan minus the force. 

21 hours ago, Dark Wader said:

I think the issue is Rodriguez. His guerrilla filmmaking just doesn’t work with Star Wars. The difference in quality from this weeks and last weeks is almost night and day. 

He just makes each scene feel like a cheap fan film. That chase scene at the end reeked of Spy Kids.

Yeah, it's almost Grind House-ish.  

Boba could have just walked at that pace and still caught up, let alone use his jet pack.

22 hours ago, Tank said:

This whole thing feels like a fan film.

Ok, I should have put an emphasis on cheap. But I think that was a purposeful creative choice which I hate even more. 

I saw Dune finally in IMAX so maybe subconsciously I’m comparing my sand dune sci fi and being a bit too hard on this show, but you’d still think of any studio/production company, Disney would throw some extra dollars to the budget.

But that aside, we’ve seen fan films on a lower budget done better than this. And just comparing this episode to last weeks, it seems to be Rodriguez more than anything. Though I’ve never been a fan so might be my own bias creeping in. 

There is so much more going on here than show that has been mediocre through 3 weeks. Its the whole approach Disney is taking. Now I've been a fan of Disney Star Wars but as far "what to make" obviously the ST was obvious. Rogue One is great. I enjoy Solo alot although I do think the whole idea of "lets take a character and make a movie about them is wrong." Mando is a pretty good how and BOBF seems to be half a tick below that, at least.

Fact is when you think of Star Wars and why it is great there are a few things that come to mind. One is the Force/Jedi/Sith all of that stuff. In all of the non "Skywalker Saga" stuff that has been background only showing up for sort of special moments and really big finales. As far as really being part of the content its mostly not been there. Another thing you'd say is the whole idea of space, jetting around the galaxy. Its literally in the name. The other stuff that was light on the Force had tons of this. BOBF is completely lacking this so far and my inclination is to think that won't change. You get rid of the Force and you get rid of space and you are getting rid of so much of what makes Star Wars great. Now that doesn't mean they can;t make a good show without either of those aspects but you are ignoring alot of what makes the brand work. It'd be like opening a McDonalds and being like "yeah we aren't gonna sell burgers or fries."

As has been pointed out Mandalorian is basically a show about Boba Fett but not Boba Fett. And in reality the way Mando behaves the early part of season 1 is much more in line with how we'd all expect Fett to behave. This character in BOBF just seems off. Im not at all saying "not my Boba Fett" or any nonsense like that. Really though this character could just be a new character taking the throne from Jabba, having it be Fett plays no role at all. I guess thats what happens when you decide to make a show about a guy with 2 lines of dialogue or whatever.

In the end maybe the show will build to something really good. Maybe the bacta flash backs will go further back and connect this story to the Fett character in a way where it actually matters that this character is Fett. I just dont think it will. My guess is this will become a much more straight forward story about Fett exacting revenge on the Pikes where they count on cameos and appearances from other shows/movies to build excitement as it goes along. 

When Mando started I too thought the Force/Jedi stuff would be oddly missing-- but then Grogu shows up. In S2, you had all the Darksaber stuff, Ahsoka, and obviously the Luke cameo.

You're not wrong, and I have often thought this. Star Wars is a vast galaxy and it doesn't HAVE to include the Jedi/Force stuff... but it does feel wrong without it. Even Rogue One managed to sneak it in with the blind dude and Vader at the end.

What Boba Fett is really missing though, is  heart. Star Wars needs to have characters with BIG passion and drive. The thing that made Mando work in S1 was his slow turn from being an apathetic bounty hunter to having a heart, which starts at the end of the first episode when he identifies with Grogu as an orphan and saves him. S2 is ALL about his love for Grogu.

Boba Fett is the first Star Wars entry that is heartless. They are trying with the Sand People stuff I think, but that is falling flat. I just don't care. There's NO emotion in this show. And funny enough, even the The Force is supposed to be about control and balance, the best Star Wars is when the Force is place narratively in line or opposed to emotions.

Add in a lack of fun locations, no space stuff, no actual adventure, and an obvious shoe-string budget... and this show is just falling flat.

I agree with all of that pretty much. I don't like TROS but I could never say they weren't trying for something huge, epic, great. Id think the same goes for those who dont like TLJ. I don't think anyone could say Johnson wasn't trying to hit an absolute HR. You may think he struck out on 3 pitches but I don't think many would say the goal wasn't greatness.

I just feel with the tv they aren't even really trying for that. They are aiming for pretty good. They are worried worried about not being hated by certain groups than by being loved by certain groups. My opinion on Mando is in 20 episode there is probably 1 great one, 5-6 very good, 8-10 sort of ok and a few just kinda blah ones. This show thus far isn;'t hitting that mark and its not giving me the vibe of improving.

In the end Id rather have TROS that is at least trying. Id rather dislike something than be disinterested. This show is just disinteresting.

12 hours ago, Tank said:

Like I said above, rumors are that the budget of this show is a fraction of Mando’s. I’ve heard some people say that it was basically part of Mando S2’s production.

It’s definitely being made on the cheap. 

I didn't know this until you mentioned it.  Now, it seems to make sense.  I don't think its a case of not trying, but Disney needs to put the funding in that it needs to bring in new places and adventures.   Being stuck on Tatooine both in the flash backs and present, as well as Boba the Crime Boss is less interesting an idea than Boba the Bounty Hunter that goes places is what is bogging this down. I like the flashbacks on how Boba survived, but episode 3 left a bad taste.   Boba needs to be more action oriented.  I think they painted themselves in the corner because Mando already does/did that, and they probably feel they had to dig up the Underworld idea for Boba.  Which I was not all that a fan of anyway, when that idea was being floated like 10-15+ years ago.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.