Tell the crazy cat lady about your appliances!

Ms. Spam

So the cats have officially ruined two appliances through rust. The fridge and stove need to be replaced.

I am interested to know your opinions on glass top stoves and what fridges you prefer? I am leaning towards a side by side because of the location of the fridge in the house. It's going to be a pain to open those fridges that have the freezer on the bottom because if I am washing dishes and Tina wants ice she'll have to wait for me to move. But there's less door swing room too. I want something white but it looks like it'll be easier to get stainless so if I do that I gotta replace all the appliances otherwise we're going to have a miss match thing as the above the stove microwave is white and and the still working just fine dishwasher is white but you  can order the stainless inserts to cover it for like $39 online.

Also I am leaning towards GE/Whirlpool/Kenmore. I've heard real bad things about Samsung and LG appliances.

The new house has a glass top stove. I am not a fan. I miss the gas burners. The oven works really nice. It is newer, and its a Samsung. Definitely nicer than our Jennair built in wall oven, but that thing also lasted 15 years and we never had a true issue, it just didn't get to temperature. So far I like the Samsung oven, just not the glass top. It's also staying clean better than the Jennair did. I suspect the cleaning function did not work well.

We bought a Whirlpool refrigerator in 2013 when we moved into the old house and brought it with us. There was an ancient Kenmore side by side that the owners left behind and we swapped the fridges. So I mean there's a testament to longevity. Our Whirlpool leaked water all over within the first year and it was because the factory didn't properly install some part. But no problems since. My MIL hates her Samsung fridge. She was able to get it in white, though. Hers is a side by side, we have a 4 door (side by side on top, bottom freezer, and a big crisper drawer. I feel like the side by sides have more freezer space, which I'm not sure I need. I need a lot of fridge space.

When we do our kitchen renovation, we will probably do a nice gas range. But right now we have a kitchen island that does not fit the space and that crap is getting knocked out.

Okay. We got a nice Samsung kitchen set five years ago for $3200. The fridge is 29 cubic feet kinda large for a standard refrigerator. Don't get anything that will overwhelm your kitchen. The last thing you want is to get the stuff in there and now you're thinking "i have to paint the cabinets, hey a new countertop, etc".

I love it cast iron skillet. They're been things I've baked stuff in the oven and dropped it hard in the oven grates because the handle was so hot(even using mitts). I would have easily cracked a glass top. 

Go Whirlpool or Maytag (they’re from the same brand, so’s Kitchen Aid and Jenn Air). I worked in an appliance dealership for 9 months, and became a Maytag devotee, though I have a Whirlpool fridge and a Kitchen Aid dishwasher. LG’s, as long as you go to an actual appliance store and get their mid-level stuff are actually quite nice. I’ve heard nothing but bad things about Samsung. 

If you do go Whirlpool, et al, this is a great time to buy. I can promise you they’re already running Black Friday deals.

YESSSS! I am leaning towards Whirlpool. I am going to do a bottom freezer with a regular door I think. I thought about the layout of my kitchen and the doors will be more convenient that way. My fridge backs into a corner so a french door type opening for a freezer side would bang against the wall to open it all the way to see inside or get something out. But I also like the idea of the side by sides because we could get a filtered water and crushed ice maker. LOL. Whatever I get I think I'll leave here when the condo sells. So it's basically just got to function. 

We're staying in the condo for another year. I am tired of being rejected for offers because I'm contingent on selling my condo for part of the down payment. Plus with the 6 cats it's going to stress them out so bad having strangers view the house plus even if you keep the boxes clean there's a smell, it can't be helped. So if I save the down payment for a year I can just pocket what we sell the condo for into a savings or retirement account. Now it's just paying down debt (I took out a home equity loan to fix the electrical and I only owe about $3000 on a 10 K loan) and hoping I can slowly fix up this place. The sucky part is interest rates will probably change.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.