What horror movies do you watch to prep for the Halloween season?

Zathras

I decided to start my annual tradition of watching some horror flicks to prep for the Halloween season.  I try to pull down off my movie shelf or stream at least one movie a day or night as a countdown to all hallows eve. So being at home sick, I did a double feature last night with the Exorcist and Salem's Lot 1979.  This morning, I am wrapped in my blanket watching Hellraiser 1&2! 

So does anyone else here do something similar, and if so, what are you watching?

I watch the original Halloween, Halloween II and III straight through (not all in one sitting, I’ll pick a day for each) at least once during the season. But I’ll also leave them on in the background at other times if I’m busy with something else. They become almost like a soundtrack this time of year. I also like to catch up on the first four Friday the 13th films. 

On 9/19/2021 at 3:55 PM, Lord Darth Hunter said:

I watch the original Halloween, Halloween II and III straight through (not all in one sitting, I’ll pick a day for each) at least once during the season. But I’ll also leave them on in the background at other times if I’m busy with something else. They become almost like a soundtrack this time of year. I also like to catch up on the first four Friday the 13th films. 

The first four F13s are the best.  I watch those too during the season, along with the Nightmare on Elm street series. 

I finished Hellraiser 1&2 now I am watching Phantasm!

As a kid I loved watching all these films we’ve mentioned here over and over on cable or VHS. Loved Freddy, Jason, Michael, Leatherface, Chucky. Never had a problem with any of them or Hellraiser or the Exorcist or any of that. Except for some reason Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter. It scared me to no end and gave me many nightmares. To this day I don’t know why that’s the one movie that got to me. 

I’m jealous. I don’t think I’ll get any in, but I am going away with the (vaccinated) men in my family the first weekend in November, and I plan on having an unending playlist of horror films going the whole time.

I generally do 31 days of horror films in October. I try to find a theme. One year I did all the slash-ics. One year I did just Hammer films. Another year just the 70s, another just the 60s. Last year I tried to do just Halloween episodes of classic sitcoms but couldn’t find all of them.

Just yesterday worked up my list for this year. I’m going to hit each decade for a hundred years of horror. One classic, one personal favorite, and one I haven’t seen if possible.

1. Nosferatu (1922)

2. Cat and Canary (1927)

3. Golem (1920)

4. Frankenstein (31)

5. Bride of Frankenstein (35)

6. Mark of the Vampire (35)

7. House of Frankenstein (44)

8. Abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein (48)

9. She Wolf of London (46)

10. The Blob (58)

11. Creature From the Black Lagoon (54)

12. The Bad Seed (56)

13. Rosemary’s Baby (68)

14. Psycho (60)

15. Kill Baby Kill (66)

16. Suspiria (77)

17. Nosferatu (79)

18. The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane (76)

19. The Shining (80)

21. Christine (83)

22. Hell Night (81)

23. Candyman (92)

24. House on Haunted Hill (99)

25. Castle Freak (95)

26. Dawn of the Dead (04)

27. Trick r Treat (07)

28. Alone in the Dark (05)

29. It Follows (14)

30. Autopsy of Jane Doe (16)

31. Pet Semetary (19)

Wow, Tank! Easily 2/3 of those are on my watch list.  I especially love to rewatch the universal monster films in Oct (I have a couple box sets Drac on DVD and a bluray set with drac, Frank, Wolfie).  Some on your list I haven't seen yet, especially some of those silent films, but  I will give them a try if they are on Amazon Prime. 

Right now, just finished Angel Heart.  Just threw on The Unnamable. 

15 minutes ago, Tank said:

Last year I tried to do just Halloween episodes of classic sitcoms but couldn’t find all of them.

What ones were you aiming for? And what couldn’t you find?

2 hours ago, Fozzie said:

I’m jealous. I don’t think I’ll get any in, but I am going away with the (vaccinated) men in my family the first weekend in November, and I plan on having an unending playlist of horror films going the whole time.

If you are going away to a cabin in the woods...you know you have to watch Evil Dead! 

32 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

What ones were you aiming for? And what couldn’t you find?

There was a Growing Pains one where Kirk Cameron told a ghost story that I really liked. I couldn’t find it without ordering a boxed set and I don’t like Kirk Cameron THAT much.

Tnere was a MASH one but I couldn’t figure out what it was called because there are a jillion episodes of MASH.

I don’t remember what else was missing, I’ll look for my list.

That said, the My So Called Life Halloween episode is a favorite, and obviously the Roseanne episodes are great and easy to find. Cheers has a few good ones. Freaks and Geeks Halloween episode was really good too. One of my favs was Square Pegs as a kid cause Devo were special guests. The Brady Bunch episode where they scare the shit out of Alice was one I always loved. Modern Family had some good ones early on before they got terrible. Boy Meets World did one with Jennifer Love Hewitt guest starred in right after she got famous as a horror girl. I don’t think it was actually a Halloween episode, but I’ll take it.

I think I threw in a few classic Sabrinas, some Scooby Doo, Munsters, and Adam’s Family to round it out.

On 9/20/2021 at 6:59 PM, Zathras said:

If you are going away to a cabin in the woods...you know you have to watch Evil Dead! 

Friday the 13th dude!

I think I'll be watching Alien. It's a must watch for me, as is Aliens. I might even squeeze in John Carpenter's The Thing.

F13 too for sure. 

I watched Alien and The thing (the bad one) and the thing (the good one) a couple months ago. 

Yesterday and last night, I watched:

1. Frankenstein

2. The Bride of Frankenstein

3. Frankenstein meets the Wolfman

4. House of Frankenstein

5. House of Dracula

6. Abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein (forgot to list this one)

7. The invisible man

Currently watching the Mummy (1932).

On 9/21/2021 at 12:30 PM, Zathras said:

Now onto Dracula (1931 Spanish version). Many believe this the superior version compared to Dracula 1931.

My favorite bit of trivia about this movie is that it uses the same sets as the Lugosi version. Universal planned it this way-- when the english version stopped shooting for the day. the Spanish team would come in to use the sets over night. They had the same production schedule to make use of all set, locations, and wardrobe.

I remember seeing The People Under the stairs, thinking it was going to be a scary movie. The moment they had everyone holding hands, getting electrocuted, and then they showed the goofy dog's face as he was biting someone of the ass. It felt more like a comedy than a fright fest.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.