The UGH! of the day thread

Zathras

1 hour ago, Darth Krawlie said:

I went to trim my beard today and forgot to put the cover on the razor. There was no way to salvage it. I HATE how I look clean shaven.

I hear ya. I've had facial hair for most of my adult life. Starting at 17. Being clean shaven is like being a different person.

Hopefully it grows back quick.

Total transmission failure. Won't know until Monday what, if anything, is covered by the warranty. 

I don't have a lot of hope tbh. I'm not sure what the hell we're going to do. I think the only reasonable thing that can be done is for Trevor to get a job. That complicates quite a few things given our lifestyle and the fact that we only have one car again for the moment, but we just need more money. 

That sucks!  Is your car a brand new car, or used with warranty.  Most new cars under factory warranty cover the transmission, unless there is proof of abuse of the vehicle (EG racing).  For used cars with aftermarket or extended warranties, it varies of course, but most warranties that cover the drivetrain include the transmission, engine, and axle (or if combined, a transaxle). 

Are you guys totally moved in to the new house? Is Trevor doing this renovation project for free and on your own dime?

Is the biggest complication for both of you working home schooling, or something else? Could one of the kids go to a co-op where you have less commitment/all on your shoulders, or could one or both of them go to the public school? (Not sure if the schools out there are better or worse than where you were.)

8 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

Are you guys totally moved in to the new house? Is Trevor doing this renovation project for free and on your own dime?

Is the biggest complication for both of you working home schooling, or something else? Could one of the kids go to a co-op where you have less commitment/all on your shoulders, or could one or both of them go to the public school? (Not sure if the schools out there are better or worse than where you were.)

We're basically moved in. We're stuck in our lease on the other house until the end of January though. So we're pretty much paying double bills right now. The biggest issue is really what to do with Luke. Noah's fine here, even by himself if need be. He does most of his work independently and he's perfectly capable of keeping himself fed and watered and alive. I'm still working mostly from home as well. Luke's still hit-or-miss when it comes to organized activities (including school). He'd likely need an IEP again if he were in public school, and we just don't have it in us if we'd have to fight with the district over it. (And I have no idea if we'd have to or not tbh.) And we're not comfortable sending him anywhere until he's vaccinated. We're not too concerned about his academics right now, so we don't necessarily need him in that kind of environment, but everything more unschooling or playschooling friendly is SUPER EXPENSIVE OMG! He's fine if he's home all day with Noah and I, but then he spends most of his time in front of a screen. And we wouldn't be able to take him places regularly to play. So that's a concern, but one where we'd be willing to give a bit on if it's just for a year. 

The other big issue is - what if we're back down to one car? 

But then we'd also be grumpy because we currently make and keep our own schedules so we have the freedom to go anywhere in the middle of the day/week if we want (to the lake, to my sister's lodge in the woods, travel, to visit family, etc.), and that would suck to lose. 

So basically it's just a few complications. Nothing major. And not enough for us to NOT consider having Trevor get a job for about a year. With a year of extra salary we could completely pay off all of our non-house debt and we could qualify for a higher loan for the house so we would essentially finance a bigger and better reno. 

In general, we're cool being the kind of poor that's manageable with budgeting and bargain shopping, but I don't want to go back to the kind of poor where we're constantly fighting to stay afloat with zero safety net. We'd definitely be closer to the latter if we have to fork over an extra $5k right now for a new transmission while we're essentially paying for 2 houses for the next 4 months. We wouldn't be able to recover from that for a long, long time on just my salary. 

If they deny it, immediately request the full warranty contract in writing, and then contact the Texas Department of Insurance and the Texas Attorney General's office. This is the type of thing that is normally covered, but I don't know who has jurisdiction in Texas. But complain loudly. It might not be covered, but getting a denial doesn't mean that it isn't covered, just that you might have to fight for it. Having to fight for every penny sucks, and not in the good way, but you're good at doing it. 

My grandma passed a few months ago...whom I have not seen since COVID.

I heard she passed from a stroke.  A family member slipped up and I discovered she passed from COVID. It turns out nobody wanted to tell me the truth because my mom (whom thinks COVID is a Chinese/ democrat conspiracy) visited and "possibly" gave it to her.  My family didn't want to tell me because they didn't want me to think worse of my mom.

I’m sorry, man. Really. You’ve been through more than enough with your family. I’m glad you don’t care, but feel free to vent anything that needs venting.

HA. To say families are complicated is an understatement. 

My mother used to call me to tell me to call her because she has something important to tell me and I would think it was something horrible and bad and I would call her right back because I'd let the call go to voicemail and it would be something like "We are painting the house and wondered if you knew a person who wanted the old couch because we're getting a new couch." Which of course lead me to go back to let it go to voicemail because this shit ain't worth it. But when it's bad like when Tina would have a health issue and be near death I'd find out about it from a different family member or the hospital or because I couldn't get in touch with her and my Mom was like "I didn't want to bother you with that." 

JESUS.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.