I started burning CDs

I used to have a large CD collection, well over 2000 CDs, that over the years was whittled down as CD cases disappeared during moves or were stolen, so I've switched almost entirely to digital - which, let's face it, in the age of Spotify / other streaming services is the norm. But I've found that the danger with this is that I'm listening to the same stuff over and over, and I miss listening to entire albums. But them temptation is too strong to just but on a playlist, and there's a number of local bands or small 90s indie / punk bands that just never made it to the streaming services. So, I've started burning CDs from my digital back-ups so that I can pop them in a discman and listen to them in the hammock or while walking.

So far, I've burned about 60-70 CDs.  I'm probably going to max out around 200, at which point my wife will be ready to kill me. But I think this is going to be good for me. I'm looking for opportunities to disconnect from the phone and reconnect with things I enjoy. So this is exciting to me, even if it's tedious and stupid.

And before someone comes in and complains about how MP3s don't have the same clarity - I'm not a professional listening on a system that cost thousands of dollars. There's no noticeable difference for me.

41 minutes ago, Metropolis said:

Wait. You have a computer with a DVD drive? Okay Boomer.:D

Old and proud! But it's an external that I bought to digitize my DVD collection. So... yeah, DVDs are digitized and now I'm going back to hard CDs.

In all honesty though, where/when do you listen to cds? The only place I still do is in the car. My wife bought a new car a couple of months ago. It dawned on me recently while driving it that there was no cd player in it. All sorts of bells and whistles, but no cd player. So when i eventually get a new car for myself, that is probably one less place to listen to them.

I’ve got a Discman rip-off that I have connected to speakers in my work space, and headphones to just chill. I’m going to initiate one night a week to go lay in the hammock and listen to an album. Almost all my time goes into work or family, so 40-60 minutes of time with no phone and no people sounds amazing.

3 hours ago, Metropolis said:

In all honesty though, where/when do you listen to cds? The only place I still do is in the car. My wife bought a new car a couple of months ago. It dawned on me recently while driving it that there was no cd player in it. All sorts of bells and whistles, but no cd player. So when i eventually get a new car for myself, that is probably one less place to listen to them.

I drive a company truck. My 2019 (got it in 2020) had a CD player, along with all the other bells and whistles. I had driven the truck less than 18 months and already had 60,000 miles on it. The company got 2 new trucks this year. One was a 2020 and the other a 2021 Toyota Tacoma. I asked if I could get one of those trucks, because I was going to have 100K on the 2019 by May of next year. I got the 2020, which had Sirius XM radio. I guess it was a free demo, because the service had expired. I had a few CDs in the armrest/console, so I went to put a CD in and realized that there was no CD player in the stereo. Whoa!

I get that most people don't listen to CDs, but it still seems crazy that new vehicles don't even have players. I drive a 2008 Prius, and our other vehicle is a 2014 Honda Odyssey. So both obviously still have CD players.

Going back a decade or so, I was on a real kick of digitizing my CD and DVD collection, then it expanded to checking out stuff from the city library and backing those up too. At the time, I had an older CD player in my truck  that wasn't MP3 compatible, so I burned a ton of CDs to listen to while driving to and fro.  So I get the different experience of listening to albums in their entirety.  Now, I have a truck with a better aftermarket player, which accepts micro sds, so I have my entire music collection on an SD and available at all times in my current truck. No need for CDs, now, and I gave most of my burned CDs away. In fact my truck stereo is a touch panel without a CD interface.  Having a collection that large usually means I have it on random, effectively making it a never ending mix tape.  I actually miss listening to CDs in their entirety in my truck, but I still can do it on my computer, which is hooked up to my home stereo system.  

On 9/16/2021 at 12:27 PM, Fozzie said:

…I miss listening to entire albums…and there's a number of local bands or small 90s indie / punk bands that just never made it to the streaming services.

THIS!

To this day I still burn albums on to my iPod and carry it everywhere for the same reason.  

Many times I’ve had conversations where someone will say, I love [insert artist or band name] and I agree with them and start firing off my favorite songs from that artist/group. Then it turns out the other person will have never heard most of the songs because they only really know the “hits”, the 2-3 songs that get all the airplay. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.