Matrix 4

Tank

Man, I really wanted to bump an old Matrix thread for this for LOLs, but they are all archived.

I was REALLY hard on 2 and 3. That was at the height of my movie guy on the internet smugness... but they were poop right?

That said, I always loved the first one, despite hating Keanu... thought TBH, the Keanu hate has totally gone away as he's gotten older... or maybe it's cause I am older? In my head canon the John Wick movies are basically a simulation that the machines stuck Neo in to keep him busy and distracted as they rebuilt themselves.

Looks like, at least partially, maybe I was on to something?

I won't lie. Made me a little misty and nostalgic. But also, either Wachowski never made a good movie again post Matrix 1 in my opinion. So... I want this to be good, but I am dubious... OR AM EYE!? It looks fun as hell.

Weaving makes sense, from a story perspective, if the entire purpose is to basically delete everything from the previous movies.

I never watched all of 2 or 3. I liked the first, but it hit right at the perfect age for my friends to be wankers about his deep and philosophical it is, which annoyed me so much that I only watched it the one time.

17 minutes ago, Tank said:

Didnt Morpheus die?

DIDNT THEY ALL DIE!?

My friend posited that the “real world” was just another level of the matrix and everyone was still plugged in.

5 hours ago, Tank said:

Didnt Morpheus die?

DIDNT THEY ALL DIE!?

He survived - but Trinity did definitely die so that bit has confused me. So maybe it is just another level of Matrix?

But I’m keen for this one too. 2 & 3 generally sucked but I don’t think they’ve aged as badly as some other franchise sequels. And I’m shallow enough now that I’m down for some cool Matrix fights/chases even if the story fails. 

Yes, films 2 & 3 were not what we hoped for after the superb first film, but fingers crossed we get a good 4th film for Christmas!

Fishburne apparently wasn’t asked to participate in the film according to interviews. Weaving was one they were after, but was tied up in a theatrical production so the dates just couldn’t work.

Nice trailer, fingers crossed for a good film that makes sense!

Great trailer; blew No Way Home out of the universe for me.

I know this won't happen but I hope this ties back into Neo being able to control the machines in Reloaded and Revolutions, Morpheus spent his whole life looking into that phenomena, and then it's discovered that it's pretty much a maze of Matrixes and that we've never seen the real world and it turns out that the real world is actually a small sect of humans who've either made a pact with the machines to harvest humans or it turns out that they've controlled the machines the whole time or there were never machines and it was just a construct or RPG this whole time and Neo has was the first One to wake up to reveal the fraud.

Which, that would probably make the overall story better than how it sat for the last 18 years.

8 hours ago, Cerina said:

Didn't 3 basically completely undo the first 2? Or am I misremembering? I know it sucked and I only saw it once. 

I don’t think so, Neo went back into the Matrix to defeat the Smith clones, resetting the Matrix and bringing peace, or more a truce between the humans and machines. But I don’t remember if there was anything to undo it, still been a while. 

I’ve been thinking about the trailer and how it fits into the end of Revolutions, and I think Smith and Morpheus will actually be in this one. Or at least in some capacity. . .they had mentioned they had approached Weaving but didn’t work out because of scheduling and Fishburne said he wasn’t approached, but I think they are just trying to keep some surprises. And is this just meant to be a one-off or another trilogy kick off?

The old man in the mirror looks more like an older Smith than an older Neo. Possibly still a part of Smith in him after the end of Revolutions? I don’t think anything significant with Smith in this story as his is done in the last one but might explain why they approached Weaving in the first place. 

But Morpheus I think will have a bigger part to play and it will be Fishburne. I’m predicting Neo isn’t in the actual Matrix, possibly somewhere isolated from it where the machines are keeping him (might explain why we see Trinity, all in his head). Henwick’s character is someone infiltrating to get Neo out, and Morpheus is the one behind it. 

Some theories that Yahya is playing a younger version of him somehow but I think that will be some mis-direct and he is actually a sleeper agent or someone else. Plus Jada Pinkett Smith is in this, so gotta be something to that.

Probably thought a bit too much on this one. 

I guess it could come down to how long the time is between Matrix 3 and 4.  For all we know, it could be 100+ years. We know the original movies were some 200-300 years after 1999.  Long enough where Morpheus didn't even know.  What if Neo is in the new version of the Matrix, and is the new Oracle? Or, maybe Neo IS the Matrix, now, basically what Smith tried to become. I can see him being able to resurrect Morpheus, Niobi,  and Trinity in those cases.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Wellll, uh, this exists. Neil Patrick Harris was good. I think it's better than 3. That's about it. Mostly it felt like a bait and switch where the first thirty minutes is playing with expectations and asking interesting questions, but then just turns into a soft reboot. Neo even says the line "it feels like nothing we did mattered" and then does nothing with that obvious question. As if simply drawing attention to the mechanics of irrelevant remakes is somehow clever or gives it a free pass to continue down that same road.

I guess as far as soft reboots go, it was competent, but overall pointless. Which is exactly what I suspected.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.