Shang-Chi

Darth Krawlie

It doesn't really look that good and I suspect, just like Black Panther, the reviews are being too generous because of certain aspects and instead of judging a piece of work on it's actual merits, it gets a free pass from the SJW infestation in film criticism circles.  Will probably get a Best Picture nomination, too.

Until this movie, I never heard of Shang Chi.  Was he a supporting character in Avengers, Iron Man, or another hero, or did he have his own title.  Am I wrong to assume this character is a "deep cut" into the Marvel universe, or is he someone that recently became a thing? Pardon the question, but just got off work and don't feel like googling it. 

I've been familiar with the name for years but have never read him in a comic. He's had his own series' and I think he's in the Avengers now? He started off in martial arts comics in the 70s. He's never been a major player but Marvel's tried making a movie of him since long before the MCU was a thing--going back to the 90s, even. I wouldn't put him as a deeper cut than, say, Groot or Star-Lord were before GOTG came out, but he's fairly deep.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Saw this a few weeks ago, forgot to post. I didn't hate it, it was fun... but it also didn't really hit me hard enough to super care. Maybe the character is just too c-list for me? Not that the MCU hasn't made me love c-list characters before. I didn't hate it, but it's not high on the rewatch list. Awkwafina stole it of course.

I can't help but wish this had been an Iron Fist movie-- it had all the trappings: a prodigal son, a hidden village in an alternate universe, a caged dragon. I really don't think anyone (that matters) would have been bothered of you cast Danny Rand as Chinese. With them soft-accepting the Defenders shows I guess we just have to accept that awful version of Iron Fist.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2021 at 2:13 PM, Tank said:

I really don't think anyone (that matters) would have been bothered of you cast Danny Rand as Chinese. With them soft-accepting the Defenders shows I guess we just have to accept that awful version of Iron Fist.

I demand comic accuracy at all times!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.