What If…? (TV Series)

Rogue 3

Marvel’s latest series drops today - 9 episode run it would seem and approx 30 mins long. The opener (according to Wikipedia) is called “What if…Captain Carter were the First Avenger?”.

Fingers crossed for some good stories over the next few weeks!

Managed to watch the first episode at lunchtime and I liked it.   Animation looked great, good to see most of the cast back, and very much in the style of the Star Wars Infinities series where it takes one small change to transform all subsequent storylines.    

Avoiding spoilers for the mo, the only bit I thought was stretching it was sadly a crucial plot point in terms of what the tesseract is used to power up.    But nice ending and good narration from Jeffrey Wright as The Watcher.   

Looking forward to the next one!

I wonder if in creating these alternate superhero's in this series that they will later feature in the films that involve the Multiverse?   There is already a lot going on in those films with multiple cinematic Spidey's and existing MCU characters, but could be something they do?

It was fun but nothing spectacular. If I didn't know that was Sebastian Stan voicing Bucky I never would have believed it, though. Sounded nothing like himself.

I didn't understand how Carter had taken the tesseract from HYDRA, which Stark used to build the armor... then the next time we see it, the Red Skull has it? Did I miss a scene where HYDRA got it back?

I gotta admit that confused me as well. I also didn’t get why they had the armour and Steve just chained up there at the Castle but that explains that too. 

I thought it was good but thought it started getting silly with the tentacle monster thing. Guessing whatever it is will make an appearance in live action at some point. 

I gave up on this about five minutes in. The animation style is stilted, weird, downright unheimlich. It reminds me of the brainwashing animatics from the Jonathan Demme Manchurian Candidate (which also co-starred Jeffrey Wright!) or those rotoscoped flicks like Waking Life and the Philip K. Dick one whose title escapes me at the moment, wait, it was A Scanner Darkly and it was ALSO directed by Richard Linklater!!!! And the voice acting in it registers to me as equally off-putting, everybody’s performance is just way too low key.

I think I’ll skip this show until and unless they adapt my favourite What Ifs — those’d be #6 (“What if the Fantastic Four had different superpowers?”), #11 (“What if the original Marvel Bullpen had become the Fantastic Four?”), #13 (“What if Conan the Barbarian walked the Earth today?), #14 (“What if Sgt. Fury had fought World War II in outer space?”, I particularly like the scaly hide of the Alphans, the evil aliens in this’n, don’t think they’ve ever showed up anywhere else), okay, well, we’ll be here all day if I keep at it and I’m tippy typing this on my tablet while pumping my dumb legs on a stationary recumbent bicycle so everything takes four times as long.

I like my What Ifs; just wish this show was drawn in a different style and had all the characters voiced by working animation professionals rather than the originators of the roles and/or regular live action actors.

Fair do’s! I’m relaxed about the animation style after experiencing so many variations with the Doctor Who animations of the missing episodes! This weeks release of the Web of Fear episode 3 that is (currently) lost is so, so different to all the styles that have gone before! 

But just grateful to be able to watch them with the original audio tracks that fans recorded back in the ‘60’s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_missing_episodes?wprov=sfti1

I enjoyed the first episode.  It was suitably weird, although I don’t think a giant tentacle monster is really weirder than what the MCU has already given us.

I usually like silly twist tales like this but I was underwhelmed.

It also humorously annoys me that TikTok “comic book gurus” are all making vids about how Steve being Cap was the actual mistake and it should have been Peggy all along. Their usual reasoning being said in a “she’s a trained killer, Bro” style. *cue the dude angry about Wizard of Oz.

Kids these days. Were we ever that passionate? ;-)

On 8/16/2021 at 8:14 PM, zambingo said:

I usually like silly twist tales like this but I was underwhelmed.

It also humorously annoys me that TikTok “comic book gurus” are all making vids about how Steve being Cap was the actual mistake and it should have been Peggy all along. Their usual reasoning being said in a “she’s a trained killer, Bro” style. *cue the dude angry about Wizard of Oz.

Kids these days. Were we ever that passionate? ;-)

I refuse to believe that you’re not still as passionate about hair.

Good fun! I like the way that his being there makes such a positive impact on all the characters featured (spoilers!), compared to Quill!

Nice dedication at the end - still can’t believe he’s gone just as we got to know him. Very sad.

Strange episode is the best one yet. Sad as hell.

Predictions in a spoiler box...

I think Strange Supreme, who we saw interact with Uatu, will come back in the season finale. Or maybe more than one episode between now and then, who knows, but I think this was the start of the multiverse interactions. Strange figures out how to slip realities, and is the big bad, powerful enough to threaten the whole multiverse. And as anyone who's read comics knows, Uatu never interferes, except for the many many times he does. He's gonna assemble a multiverse Avengers: Captain Carter, T'Challa Star-Lord, who knows who else. I think that's how this is gonna go.

Either way, I think the Dr Strange sequel is gonna be even crazier than Spider-Man: No Way Home.

On 8/26/2021 at 8:52 AM, Darth Krawlie said:

It was pretty nostalgic to see so many Phase 1 scenes play out. Hard to believe those movies were 10+ years ago now. We were so young and naïve then.

I remember going to see Iron Man. My parents never got over being poor, even when my dad was working so much overtime that he was making close to 6 figures, but they always managed to spend more than they made, even though they didn't really do anything extravagant. Mostly eating at restaurants 7 days a week. But, anyways, my mom didn't pay the gas bill because they didn't have the money. So eventually it got shut off, and my dad knew that he was going to have to do a bunch of work to get it turned back on because the house was a shithole.

So, my dad was super pissed at my mom, my mom was calling me and threatening suicide over it. I didn't have the spare money to do anything, but I was able to get in touch with my older brother who has money. For some reason they could tell me everything, but it was embarrassing to tell their other children. So, anyways, I called my brother, told him what was going on, and then ditched my phone and went to see Iron Man with my fiancee, who is now my wife. All of the other nonsense surrounding the day made the movie even better because I was able to escape the drama. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

I didn't care for the zombie episode. I just think the genre is tired and overdone.

Haven’t seen it yet, but the zombie genre has very rarely worked in the past 20 years. The first season of Walking Dead, Shaun of the Dead, and the Community episode are the only things I can think of that are really worth existing outside of games.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2021 at 8:57 PM, Darth Krawlie said:

Strange episode is the best one yet. Sad as hell.

Predictions in a spoiler box...

Hide contents

I think Strange Supreme, who we saw interact with Uatu, will come back in the season finale. Or maybe more than one episode between now and then, who knows, but I think this was the start of the multiverse interactions. Strange figures out how to slip realities, and is the big bad, powerful enough to threaten the whole multiverse. And as anyone who's read comics knows, Uatu never interferes, except for the many many times he does. He's gonna assemble a multiverse Avengers: Captain Carter, T'Challa Star-Lord, who knows who else. I think that's how this is gonna go.

Either way, I think the Dr Strange sequel is gonna be even crazier than Spider-Man: No Way Home.

Well, I was close!

On 9/13/2021 at 12:19 PM, Fozzie said:

Haven’t seen it yet, but the zombie genre has very rarely worked in the past 20 years. The first season of Walking Dead, Shaun of the Dead, and the Community episode are the only things I can think of that are really worth existing outside of games.

I haven't watched the zombie episode yet, but I am assuming it is based on some combination of the various Marvel Zombies miniseries that were produced starting around 2005.  The genre wasn't so overdone at that point.  The first miniseries or two were pretty good from what I remember (and they spun out of a multiverse story in Ultimate Fantastic Four), but the quality definitely went downhill when they kept trying to milk the franchise.

I bet it would have felt considerably more fresh if it were made back then compared to now.

Really solid finale with a mid credits scene.

Overall the show was pretty hit and miss. My opinions on multiverses is established at this point, but if they mostly contain it to animated form I'm down with that. I know the multiverse is now part of mainstream MCU, but I'd really rather it not go TOO nuts outside of this show.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.