The Suicide Squad

Metropolis

It's not a complaint on my part as much as it is that i don't fully understand the revenue structure of having it on HBO Maxx at the same time for free. F9 was giving a lead time in theaters before being available if paid streaming. Black Widow was available the same day for $30 in D+. I had forgotten what Krawlie said about WB promising to release movies on HBO Maxx day and date earlier this year. 

Also we saw "Old" in Dolby Cinema last week. The wife and I had forgotten how cool it was we're looking for reasons to go to the theater again. Before we saw "A Quite Place 2" the last movie we see in theaters was "The Rise Of Skywalker". 

Watching The Suicide Squad I couldn't help but think back to the scene in Hot Shots Part Deux where Charlie Sheen is just shooting everyone and there is a body count counter. BLOODIEST MOVIE EVER! 

While I was entertained by Suicide Squad, The Suicide Squad is definitely a better movie. I'm just not sure if it's a movie for everyone. It's funny, very dark, and very gruesome. 

I’ve heard comments right in line with yours, Met, that the film is better than the first. Also further that it could be one of the better adaptations of a comic book like all time. Given how much I adore Ghost World’s adaptation I am intrigued to see something so acclaimed. Although I’m not looking forward to the gore lol. 

Spoilers and whatever.

So far The Suicide Squad isn’t the worst thing I've seen, because I have watched Rise of Skywalker. However it is totally not the Harley Quinn cartoon. IMO the film versions so far are a vastly inferior adaptation of Harley, King Shark, and really the entire idea of DC Villains as heroes. As a result this film is barely maintaining my interest.

Before I forget, TDK was neat.

King Shark is unbelievably wasted in this. I am shocked at how terrible King Shark is in comparison to the beautifully weird character he is in the cartoon.

Every joke so far was in the trailer. Almost an hour in and I am so bored.

I don’t even think there is a story here. It’s just situations and it’s situations we’ve seen a million times before.

Harley seeing blood as flowers is like the only thing for her where I’m like good job that was neat.

Other than perhaps John Cena’s character doing his best to embody the “Am I the drama?” Tiktok trend, any character could be swapped out for any other character in this film. I understand that is part of the point… you know, of The Suicide Squad. Just pick some grimwankboi’s favorite DC villain, throw a dart at any goofy ass shit from the 70s. I get it. These characters don’t matter. I just don’t care if these characters do anything.

Also why does John Cena even exist? I’m sure he’s a wonderful person, but when I’m thinking Arnold is a better actor than someone then that is saying something. Was John Cena even a good wrestler? I can’t remember seeing him in any memorable matches. I suppose in fairness he is pretty flawless to cast as Captain Jingoism, not that I think he is that in real life, just the whole generational marketing package, the look and voice thing. So like not him personally certainly, like to be fair, but him. I know the dude is mad successful. Charity, hard work, earned rewards, I see him. My problem with this film isn’t really with him, but I was on a run.

The floor drop bit with Idris was neat. The mom bit was neat.

Harley has been wasted in live action. Both her character and her actress.

These movies in comparison to the cartoon are like some contestant on American Idol deciding they gonna reinvent a Whitney Houston song. There will be moments when you’re like, “Damn, not bad.” Then the runs start and you’re left wondering when the song will end. Sorta like this review.

5 hours ago, zambingo said:

Spoilers and whatever.

Also why does John Cena even exist? I’m sure he’s a wonderful person, but when I’m thinking Arnold is a better actor than someone then that is saying something. Was John Cena even a good wrestler? I can’t remember seeing him in any memorable matches. I suppose in fairness he is pretty flawless to cast as Captain Jingoism, not that I think he is that in real life, just the whole generational marketing package, the look and voice thing. So like not him personally certainly, like to be fair, but him. I know the dude is mad successful. Charity, hard work, earned rewards, I see him. My problem with this film isn’t really with him, but I was on a run.

That's because "YOU CAN'T SEE HIM!:lol:;)

I gave up about an hour and fifteen minutes into it. Wasn’t feeling it! None of the jokes really landed for me (because they were mostly my least favourite kind, Mr. Monopoly, just an unending sequence of Mr. Monopoly jokes over and over again) and there was maybe one (1) halfway good action sequence in the entire picture up to that point : when the three varieties of soldier action figure (the movie emphasizes how Peacemaker and Bloodsport are basically the same, yeah, but so is Rick Flag!) are being carted away in the back of a jeep to their deaths and they have to frantically best their captors, take control of the car, and deal w/the convoy around them and oncoming traffic. And I didn’t really get all the hemming and hawing from, like, Steve Agee over whether or not Amanda Waller would really put a juvenile offender in a dangerous prison which is the sort of awful thing that happens each and every day in the country he’s lived in all his life and all over the world besides, not to mention the fact that he’s already seen her kill a bunch of people (well, not people, not really. I mean, are celebrities people? Do we really think Pete Davidson counts as a person?) and nearly kill Rick Flag, too, just as a distraction.

Have probably half-a-dozen more complaints but is it fair to voice ‘em when I never bothered to finish the movie!? Nope! Mostly, I guess, over all, in the end, I have to say I just really missed the grotesque dark-yet-luminescent sheen of the metahuman transformed monsters from the first one. If they’d shown up again during the first hour and fifteen minutes of this particular reboot/sequel/failedcashgrab then I’d probably have been able to push aside all my little quibbles with the movie and get down to the grim business of not enjoying the rest of it in peace. (If you tell me, truthfully, that these particular monsters show up again in the remainder of the film I will seriously consider picking up where I left off.)

On 8/7/2021 at 1:44 AM, Dutchman said:

That's because "YOU CAN'T SEE HIM!:lol:;)

I mean he only stepped up to carry the WWE for a over a decade after Austin and Rock left, Taker went part time, and HHH went corporate.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.