Masters of the Universe Revelation (Spoilers)

I binged it this weekend while the family was away. I was hoping for some MotU to be able to share with the kids and I don’t think this is it.

Beyond that, I’m not really sure what I think. This is definitely half a story,  and I don’t have a problem with any of it, but MotU is He-Man, and it needs him but also they need to figure out a way to resurrect him a second time.

I haven’t seen it yet, plan to eventually. I have heard many sentiments that line up with yours about it though. As for a family one that is “modern”, I recall the 2002 He-Man and the Masters of the Universe series being enjoyable. My oldest son was really into it and asked for (and got) a lot of the toys.

I can understand why people are unhappy - it’d be long going to see a James Bond movie and James Bond dies in the first two minutes and then it’s all about how Q goes on to be a mercenary because of it. Which could be a great story, but not if it’s advertised as being about Bond.

The biggest problem with people being upset is that they can’t just say why they’re upset. It can’t just be that they were expecting He-Man. It isn’t that they don’t like the story. No, it has to be big and political. Not everything has to be about white males being fragile. But here we are, where everything is super political and nothing can just be it’s own thing. 

I'm actually enjoying the show. To be honest I haven't watched anything MOTU related since I was a kid except the Dolph Lundgren film. I've always been more of a Thundercats fan and have kept up with that like the 2011 reboot. Getting back to the new series, I don't mind what they did with He-Man and really liked his scenes in the last two episodes. Who knows what they have in store for him but I'm intrigued if this was really it for him. Evil-Lyn and Orko had some surprisingly great scenes together. I think they're my favorite characters.

I just bought the 80s series on DVD because of Revelations and I'm wondering how it holds up. I still enjoy the old Thundercats show so we'll see.

15 hours ago, Iceman said:

I just bought the 80s series on DVD because of Revelations and I'm wondering how it holds up. I still enjoy the old Thundercats show so we'll see.

I personally only bought the  best-of versions back when they were a lot cheaper and the entire series was ridiculously expensive.  Now the entire series can be had for $40.  The thing that sucks about the best ofs is if you get all three of them like I did, you have a few duplicate episodes. 

https://www.amazon.com/He-Man-Masters-Universe-Episode-Collectors/dp/B0009HBPHQ/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=best+of+he-man&qid=1628095747&sr=8-8

https://www.amazon.com/He-Man-Masters-Universe-Vol-1/dp/B004HHX9RI/ref=pd_sbs_4/132-7146259-7203146?pd_rd_w=4xESI&pf_rd_p=0f56f70f-21e6-4d11-bb4a-bcdb928a3c5a&pf_rd_r=EWJACEYNC3QV0STZ8NGH&pd_rd_r=ab335e85-3403-419f-853f-7e40e62e5db2&pd_rd_wg=0dEqL&pd_rd_i=B004HHX9RI&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/He-Man-Masters-Universe-2/dp/B004HHX9MS/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=best+of+he-man&qid=1628095688&sr=8-6

How well HATMOTU holds up depends on the tint of your rose-colored glasses.  If you really liked it as a kid, it will hold up, albeit repetitive/recycled animation notwithstanding.  I imagine if you have kids it might be a fun series to watch with them.  If you were a casual fan, I doubt HATMOTU will hold up all that well.  

Orko has always been a favorite across all the different series. I’m glad they treated him well in this series.

I loved MOTU as a kid but it doesn’t hold up, IMO. Thundercats holds up much better. Secret of the Sword is still passable though. I should add it in for a family movie night sometime.

32 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Orko has always been a favorite across all the different series. I’m glad they treated him well in this series.

I loved MOTU as a kid but it doesn’t hold up, IMO. Thundercats holds up much better. Secret of the Sword is still passable though. I should add it in for a family movie night sometime.

Well, it WAS a 22 minute daily toy commercial.  But as a product of its time, I can appreciate it for what it is, but it is a tough watch as an adult.  The animation (minus the stock footage that gets repetitive) was actually pretty good for its day.  A lot of it reminded me of Frank Frazetta art, particularly Conan book cover art.

12 minutes ago, Zathras said:

Well, it WAS a 22 minute daily toy commercial.  But as a product of its time, I can appreciate it for what it is, but it is a tough watch as an adult.  The animation (minus the stock footage that gets repetitive) was actually pretty good for its day.  A lot of it reminded me of Frank Frazetta art, particularly Conan book cover art.

I love it from a nostalgic point of view, but it’s pretty laughable at some points. Especially all of the times that He-Man basically starts humping something.

1 hour ago, Fozzie said:

I love it from a nostalgic point of view, but it’s pretty laughable at some points. Especially all of the times that He-Man basically starts humping something.

Oh totally get that. I am not defending it, either.

I've only watched the first two episodes so far, but I enjoyed both of them.  It's been a long time since I watched the original show, though.  I can definitely understand why people are upset about He-Man, but people are so damn hostile and toxic about everything, so I'm not that surprised to hear that so many people are railing against this.

• 4 weeks later...

I am not a big MotU fan but we really liked She-Ra. We binged this one night and enjoyed it, although man that ending was dark. It kind of bummed me out and left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth, admittedly, but its clear they are setting Teela up to be the new hero and Adam stood in the way of that. She was ready to take an immediate backseat when he came back. That was his mistake, too. He didn't have to be the one to wield the sword.

• 2 months later...

Just finished this the other day and really liked it. I've never seen the original or any of the other series so I have no frame of reference. I agree with above that it seems like they are setting up Tee-La to be the next "He-Man". I wonder if they are going to address She-Ra at some point?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I keep thinking of Joker every time he talks. Too bad they couldn't get someone who sounded more like the original. I do like Sarah Conner as Evil Lyn! And LOL at her tricking Skeletor into thinking they were going to get it on!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.