Weight loss

Hobbes

The edibles and Rogaine page has taken a swerve into weight loss so I thought to create this.  A few people have seemed interested in ordering plenity so I thought to start this as a motivational thread for myself.  I am very self-conscious about my weight and hate people knowing that I have these issues.  So what better then a bunch of randoms on the internet to be vulnurable with?

Sooo....to be totally vulnerable I am 5'11'' and based on the day, weigh in at between 205-210.  I don't necessarily have a terrible diet, I am just always hungry.  Plenity doesn't mess with your hormones, like Phentermine.  Rather, it literally just fills you up.  I just started two days ago.  One common issue is constipation.  I have never had any issues with my plumbing down there so I have never really taken any mental notes of how often I poop.  I eat a lot of fiber to begin with, but since I have started I haven't really noticed any change. 

I had a super busy day at work, so I took Plenity at about noon.  Between the drug and being so busy, I felt good enough to skip lunch (roast beef sandwich and an apple).  I decided to keep Plenity in my office at work...well I forgot to take them home over the weekend.  At about 4...I was starving and overate at dinner---probably way more than my lunch would have been.  I will swing by my office tomorrow to pick up a few packets.

Yeah I'd be cautious of using those pills that fill you up simply for the reason of when you don't take one you then over eat. 

I feel like pills like those are designed to assist people who are severely overweight with their appetite whilst they are reducing portion sizes/caloric intake etc, not for people who are overweight by 10-20lbs.

But I dunno, never heard of the product before in my life. Wouldn't personally take it.

I am currently in a body recomp though. Meaning I'm trying to maintain my weight but lower my body fat %. I'm 6ft, about 170lbs and around 15-16% body fat. Trying to get to around 12% body fat whilst remaining 170 or more.

I'm not overly concerned about the numbers but more using them as a guide whilst relying on how I feel and visual observation to reach my end goal. Im in a slight calorie deficit and training 4 days a week (my limit due to scheduling), so in a few months hopefully I'll be close to my end goal for this cut.

From there I'm going to eat at maintenance and slowly I'm going to try put on some more muscle without gaining much of the fat back. (Hopefully).

If you read up on it, they are pretty safe. You're not wrong in what you say, but for me, the idea of just getting in the habit of eating less, and anything that helps me get there would be great. I just ordered myself a batch to try out.

I've been losing and regaining the same 30 pounds for about 20 years. Basically, it is really simple, yet insanely hard, for me:

I have a big appetite. My maintenance calories are high because I am big. I have a ridiculously heavy and large frame. In a standard car or plane seat my shoulders are wider than the seat back by several inches. My wrists are as wide as my palm, and I have large hands. Yes, I am over weight, but even if I was 5% body fat I would not be skinny and still moving a lot of mass. As such, I have always had a huge appetite. And as we all know, the metabolism slows down as we age, and it has screwed me. That 30 pounds used to come off easy, not it is glacial.

That said, I can lose it . It just requires work.

If I eat what I want until I am full, I will continue to gain.

If I eat well, on some type of diet or regimen, I will level out and hold weight.

If I do that PLUS work out 20-40 minutes 5 days a week, I will lose.

If I eat like an asshole but work out a lot, I will hold. 

So basically, I have to do both-- eat well and work out. I'm fully capable of doing it, but a few things get in the way. One-- I plateau and then lose patience with working hard with no results. Two-- I hate cooking. Three-- I LOVE restaurants. Everything is outside here-- an outdoor restaurant with a girl and a cocktail, that's my dream.

At any rate, given how slow it is now to take off, I need to lose a good 30-40 before I hit 50 or it will never go away. My relationship with food being what it is, something to stop me from over-indulging, especially when I level out, would be a huge help to me.

Starting this week I am tracking my caloric intake pretty precisely, I have figured out my maintenance needs and making about a 500 calorie deficit. I am working out week days, rotating between weight lifting, biking, and yoga.

One different thing this time out-- I have always, ALWAYS, tried to lose weight feeling like I need to be smaller. But i am just not a sdmall dude. I actually gain muscle pretty easily. So I figure, screw it. If I am big, I'll just be big. I'm looking at doing the sort of recomp that Will Sasso or even some of the big-boy WWE guys have done (obviously they are all way bigger than me). The notion that you can't lose weight and build muscle at the same time has finally been disproven now that the world is finally accepting that FAT does not necessarily make you FAT.

Plateauing sucks for sure and can kill motivation. 

Are you doing progressive overload? Meaning after two weeks of doing a weight or so, go slightly heavier. Or do an extra rep, or an extra set.  Or if you're running go a little further than last time, or put the incline up.

The body gets used to the intensity it's been training to and will plateau unless we make things harder, i.e progressive overload.

Sounds as though you have the perfect frame for stacking on lots of muscle. Denser wider bones mean much more room for new muscle attachments. 

I hear you about the metabolism though, I've noticed mine slow in the last couple of years. I've gone from being able to eat anything and stay the same weight/shape to now having to be mindful around not eating too much crap. 

Greasing the groove, man. That’s what I’m currently doing. I have to do it fibromyalgia style, so extremely slowly. I just got cleared to exercise again, and I’m starting with five stomach crunches and five press-ups every night, and adding a rep or a new exercise as I feel it. Usually it only takes me a few days to start adding reps, but I’m sore af coming off the norco and starting to move again.

6 hours ago, Iceheart said:

Greasing the groove, man. That’s what I’m currently doing. I have to do it fibromyalgia style, so extremely slowly. I just got cleared to exercise again, and I’m starting with five stomach crunches and five press-ups every night, and adding a rep or a new exercise as I feel it. Usually it only takes me a few days to start adding reps, but I’m sore af coming off the norco and starting to move again.

That's great work! Well done

An interesting metric to see whether you're training hard enough came from a post by the current Mr Olympia Chris Bumstead. He was referring to training legs specifically and the love hate relationship people have with training legs, but his advice I think is applicable to most aspects of training.

Now, this is geared specifically towards people who are familiar with training weights and such correctly and with good form, and is in no way meant to encourage ego lifting or doing stupid shit.

He said, and I paraphrase, if you're going into training and have a great time the whole time you're not training hard enough. If you don't go into a session slightly apprehensive of what is ahead of you, you probably aren't training hard enough. If you're not slightly afraid of the weight you have in front of you then you may not be training hard enough. It's when you push through those moments of uncertainty, and find a strength or a burst of energy you didn't know you had, thats when the gains will really begin. 

So again, he's coming from a place of being not only a pro bodybuilder but, a champion one at that. This is not to say to do some stupid shit that is out of anyone's depth, don't be a hero.

But as a guage to see if you are training as hard as you should be to effect transformative change in physique, being afraid/nervous of the workout you have set for yourself is a good metric.

On day 2 of Plenity... not sure if it's doing what I need it to. My problem is not over-eating during meals, which is what this is designed for. My big problem is snacking between meals-- which I was hoping this would prevent, but thus far is not.

23 hours ago, Tank said:

On day 2 of Plenity... not sure if it's doing what I need it to. My problem is not over-eating during meals, which is what this is designed for. My big problem is snacking between meals-- which I was hoping this would prevent, but thus far is not.

Same.  I switched to have it in the late afternoon and in the evening and it is doing the trick. 

Today my wife was looking at old pictures and found a picture of me at my smallest. More than anything else, that made me realize that I need to lose some serious weight.

On 7/30/2021 at 12:27 AM, Tank said:

You could not prevent the snacking and snack on shit that's good. Fruit (can eat unlimited amounts and anyone who says otherwise is not to be trusted), protein bars, or protein shakes with water and no extras like penut butter.

Also, just getting rid of penut butter and substituting with a low cal thing instead makes a massive difference. 

Haha, I know you’re being helpful so I won’t be a smart ass… I appreciate the thought, but the problem isn’t a lack of knowledge about healthier snack choices.

I am knowledgeable , have tried every diet under the sun, know how to shop and be aware of nutritional content, and have gone literal months at a time eating clean. If it was a simple as “don’t buy bad snacks to have around and eat them” I would have kept the weight off the first time I lost it. It’s not a simple a choice like that in my world.

Late last week, I was looking at pictures with my wife and saw one from when I was at my smallest. The past couple years have messed up my body, so I'm in the worst shape of my life. But seeing that picture gave me motivation to change.  Over the weekend I completely indulged myself at dinner on Friday, and then trimmed down over the next two days. Put all of my skinny clothes in the attic so I can see how little I have to wear right now for more motivation. And to see how much I own that I can't wear, which is a ton. Then on Wednesday, I started counting calories again using the LoseIt app. I'm a fat man, so I get a lot of calories even trying to lose 2 pounds per week. This morning I went for a jog/walk before work. It's amazing how much better I feel after just some small changes, but I know the temptation is going to be there for a long time. Especially having kids, the temptation to have a treat when they're having one, or to have fast food because I'm having a bad day and I don't want to eat healthy. Of course, the good thing about counting calories is that I can do that kind of stuff from time to time, but I have to adjust the rest of my day to fit it in. Which tends to mean I'm hungry the rest of the day, or I've made changes to other days to save calories up for something I know is coming.  

I've done it before, so I know I can do it. I have motivation to do it. But it's going to be hard. I really need to get past the first couple of weeks to at least turn this into the start of a habit. But if I keep it up, I'll be at my goal weight by the end of the year. We're leaving for vacation in a week, which will be the real test, but at least we're camping for half of it, so I'll be a lot more active.

SonI didn’t like how the Plenity was making me feel. I took a week off of it and I’m going to try it next between meals.

I’m working out a ton these days and still maintaining. My lifestyle just involves a lot meals out, food trucks, and delivery. I HATE prepping and cooking and love food with big flavor. It’s hard to shift these attitudes because I don’t want to.

I want to be healthy, but I love brunch. I love cocktails. I love the social aspect of them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.