The 2021 Summer Olympics!

Ms. Spam

Definitely! Love the Olympics!

Brings back great memories of when we had it back in 2012! So much negativity leading up to it (cost too much, we’ll do a rubbish job blah blah), and it was a massive success - everyone wanted a ticket!

Good luck Tokyo and Japan! 

I know I'll be watching the opening ceremony tomorrow. Kinda ready for this. We'd get so hot in Arizona that the afternoon events were big with me because it was something different to put on the telly while the sun beat down on the rest of the world. 

I also really enjoy watching the olympics.  We went to the Olympic Training Center in Colorado a few years ago and it was a really cool facility.

We’ve gotten to visit a few Olympic sites over the past many years, too.  Coincidentally, we were actually at the site of the third modern olympics in St. Louis.  The stadium that held almost everything then is so incredibly tiny.  It’s hard to imagine how small those first few sets of games were.

3 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

I usually don't really care, but the kids are old enough to be interested now. Showing them some Simone Biles and of course, after every move, Eli says "oh I can do that."

Maybe he can! He could be an Olympian.

Seriously, the belief that anything is possible is the best part of childhood.

My wife loves the Olympics, and I mostly don’t care. But I enjoy watching it when I do, I just don’t care enough to make it a priority.

The big difference being, of course, that if someone is swimming and loses control of their motions temporarily because of their psychological state, they will fall behind and they can then presumably swim to the end still.  Losing control for a fraction of a second during a gymnastic routine could easily lead to a horrific injury or death.

This has nothing to do with your post, Spam, but I have been sickened, though sadly not surprised, by so many posts elsewhere about Biles.  As if it wasn’t already perfectly clear from this past year, so many people have no compassion for others.

5 hours ago, Jacen123 said:

The big difference being, of course, that if someone is swimming and loses control of their motions temporarily because of their psychological state, they will fall behind and they can then presumably swim to the end still.  Losing control for a fraction of a second during a gymnastic routine could easily lead to a horrific injury or death.

This has nothing to do with your post, Spam, but I have been sickened, though sadly not surprised, by so many posts elsewhere about Biles.  As if it wasn’t already perfectly clear from this past year, so many people have no compassion for others.

That's why I feel for Biles more I think. It's so hard watching those beam routines or the vault because it's scary. I totally think she did the right thing. I think for me a lot of athletes are in support of Biles. Which I think is a great step to changes to the way we think about mental health. Simone used to be unafraid and did stuff and now that mojo that pushed her to do those tricks is gone and that's a big struggle itself.

Twitter - where the dumbasses grow:

@BoSnerdley
I have never heard Simone Biles say or do anything disrespectful to America or her people. I have never seen her take a knee. She has always been grateful for her victories. I will not throw her under the bus for making what had to be a very tough decision.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.