Inbound Totalitarianism

Odine

So in the UK the government passed legislation that made it legal for the police to shut down any protest/demonstration deemed a disturbance to the peace, by violating noise restrictions etc with pretty heavy prison sentences and fines.

And now the government is trying to pass legislation to alter the state Official Secrets Act to make possible to sentence journalists with up to 14 years imprisonment for publishing stories that could be "embarrassing" to the government.

Welp. 

Guess I should move my family back to New Zealand huh.

3 hours ago, Zathras said:

Hadn't heard of this before now.  This is crazy.  Is this a Boris Johnson policy?

Not just Boris. General Tory consensus I think but especially Priti Patel.

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/official-secrets-act-reform-harsher-penalties-for-journalists/

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jul/20/proposed-secrecy-law-journalism-spying-home-office-public-interest-whistleblowing?espv=1

I think the Tories just know the public is super uneasy, there is brewing civil discontent and they're grasping for control the only way the Tories know how. With a boot to the throat of the common people.

But I think it's come about because of Dominic Cummings getting caught on camera grinding into his secretary and getting the sack.  Now he's spilling all sorts of beans to journalists about Boris and 'Tory Sleaze' and it's making them all look bad. 

The bigger problem is so much of the general public seem to like that boot on the throat, as long as its everyone else's throats. I'm not sure about over there but the Republicans here have much better messaging and are able to convince millions of voters that their way is best. It's terrifying.

1 hour ago, Darth Krawlie said:

The bigger problem is so much of the general public seem to like that boot on the throat, as long as its everyone else's throats. I'm not sure about over there but the Republicans here have much better messaging and are able to convince millions of voters that their way is best. It's terrifying.

They're masters at fear-mongering. 

1 minute ago, Cerina said:

They're masters at fear-mongering. 

Not just fear-mongering. They understand that most Americans operate on sound bytes, and Democrats mostly won't accept that, and have fallen behind because of it. That and they just roll over and let Republicans take over any discussion.

I am convinced that we are seeing the erosion of Western-style democracy.  The irony is that the US and allies have had a philosophy of "exporting" democracy (sometimes at gun point), with the idea that we could topple China and Russia (and other dictatorships), yet what is really happening is the West is becoming more like dictatorships. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.