The Many Saints of Newark

I think this is meant to focus more on Moltisanti than Soprano as the trailer might indicate. Very keen for this though, know there is a few people who have re-watched this recently so will be great to re-visit it. 

I'm psyched!

I also agree it seems more like a story about Moltisanti, than Tony Soprano, but I think it was smart to cast Michael Gandofini as Tony.  He sells it for me.  Although, if this is supposed to be the 1960s, he seems a little old.  In the final season, Tony was in his late 40s, which would have made him around 10 in the late 1960s.  Is my math wrong?

Definitely a smart casting choice - you immediately know they made the right decision just based on that sneer in some of the shots, exactly the same as his Father.

I don’t think you have your maths wrong, it looks like it might be set over a few decades. So maybe the scenes with Tony are later on? 

I didn't watch the show when it was airing (well, that's not strictly true — I saw the one episode everyone always went on and on about, I didn't like it, figured the show wasn't for me) but a couple years ago I sort of half-watched half-eyed most of the show from about the middle up until the end. I liked what I sort of semi-absorbed, I didn't really give it my full attention, I could tell I was missing out on something special though; should probably go back to the beginning and watch it properly.

I think anyone really really excited about the movie, who really really expects it to be good, should watch Not Fade Away (2012) first, David Chase's movie he made after the show was over, and then maybe readjust their expectations. Watching that movie is the other thing that kept me from giving the show a proper try, watching that movie is the reason I felt confident I could just jump in on the show in the middle and just sort of eyeball it while idly playing Settlers of Catan online in the other half of my screen. I was wrong, in the end, sure, but that movie (dull! airless! practically plotless! the music did half the work and for an audience member w/no specific attachment to those particular choices much of the time the music was like the goggles, the music did nothing!) fooled me into thinking I made the right decision on both counts.

I had no idea about this. Sick! I loved the Sopranos. Last time I watched it the whole way through was when my wife was pregnant. So all the events of the Sopranos are fresh enough in my mind for this to be really relevant.

20 hours ago, Odine said:

It looks like the film will be really good, but I think that promo edit was pretty rubbish. If that makes sense.

Why is it rubbish?

Just the corny edit with the texts "legends aren't born. They're made" and the and the ot rock music. It was tonally a bit cringe and not very in keeping with the kind of drama I expect from a sopranos or gangster film. But I get the impression it's just the promo not the film itself that will be like that.