ways you're still a kid

4 hours ago, The Choc said:

Its kinda funny with the whole gaming. I don't play video games on any kind of regular basis. I don't own a consule. I do sometimes find it off how women sometimes hate it so much. One of my good friends likes to play games and he said if he is in his den watching tv alone, his wife doesn't care. If he is in there playing video games, she freaks out. She accepts that like everyone he does need some time to himself, but not if he is playing video games. Always didn't seem right to me.

Is he sharing in the workload for chores and parenting? Is she able to have other hobbies or is all of her "free time" tied up in taking care of the household? I'm willing to bet that is a good part of the issue.

Maybe she feels left out. My husband wishes I gamed but I don't do much past MarioKart. I've started playing a little Minecraft with the kids because its easier, but the first-person shooter games are stressful for me and too complicated. Movies or TV is a little easier to join in. I like reading so I do that while my husband plays video games, but my husband will also get sucked in and game for hours and I start to get a little resentful unless its after the kids go to bed.

I’ve cooked those Pasta Dinosaurs for my kids before. We had it with traditional tomato sauce and big meatballs. I joked with the kids that it’s like we’re reenacting the dinosaurs’ extinction event with meatballs being meteors. That dinner was a big hit.

6 hours ago, Tank said:

Contemplate death in what way?

I don't contemplate death as in, "I am afraid to get on a plane because I might die".  But rather the fear of me longer existing scares the shit out of me.  Or even bigger still, the idea of the universe itself, in the end...evaporating into nothingness.  This video puts it nicely Timelapse of the Future: A Journey to the End of Time. 

On the other hand, I am terrified of living so long I require others to diaper, feed, and shower me.  I am too chicken shit to ever do assisted suicide if I reach that point.  I decided at some point in my late 70s/early 80s (if I make it that long) I want to start doing painkillers and "accidentally" ODing.

Just microwaving something and seeing a countdown makes me think, "well, there's two minutes of my life gone". 

I'll only game when the kid is asleep. So either nap time for an hour or two or after he's gone to bed for the night. Usually my wife and I are both pretty exhausted by then to worry what the other does. So I might game for a few hours. But if I've done it for consecutive nights on end she can feel left out and lonely. Which I totally understand and usually I manage to sense her feelings long before she gets proper upset. She's very understanding in that games to me is the equivalent of sitting and reading a book. They're both just as antisocial. If you interrupt someone mid-chapter of an exciting book 9 times out of ten they'll respond with a miffed expression that you've pulled them out of their world.

Games really become a problem when they are MMOs or live service perpetual season multiplayer games. World of Warcraft, Fortnite, Eve online.. they all use mechanics to make you want to be online ALL the time. Fucking dangerous. I only play single player games for the most part.

But so long as one meets their parental duties, household duties, and still gives their relationships the adequate nurturing and attention they deserve then I see no problem in gaming, and I don't see it as a childish thing to do. There certainly is ways you can act like a child as an adult by giving into the "gamer bro" culture.. but that whole aspect of the industry/culture makes me sick. Certain games have such toxic communities I'd rather do algebra, or change a thousand diapers than take part in them.

I'm definitely still a planetarium music guy.  I have grown out of individual bands (Geodesium too generic and repetitive), but overall I'm still into it.  Really into a lot of ambient space bands these days especially. 

My wife tends to see video games as wasting time, but in a house with a kid with pretty severe ADHD, pretty much any time wasting is not good. Fortunately, she's somehow really into me learning how to play instruments, so that isn't seen as a waste. And I've come a long way in a short time with both keyboard and guitar. Which maybe isn't necessarily kid stuff, but I wanted to learn when I was younger, but lessons were always too expensive and I'm not someone who can just teach himself. The rise of apps has made it possible.

I still like video games a lot - with an emphasis on Nintendo games, especially Zelda. I'm excited that they're releasing a Switch version of Skyward Sword because it seemed like a great game but the controls were so mad that I hated Nintendo for it.

My music tastes have grown, but they haven't changed. I'm less of a music snob, but I still love almost all the music I loved when I was younger (with the exception of some early ska - not sure what I was thinking then). In fact, I was just listening to an album some friends released right after we graduated high school - kind of a late nineties indie sound, influenced by punk but not punk. I don't necessarily listen to it all - I mean, it's really hard to listen to The Misfits as a dad. Mainly because little ones are always listening, and said kid with ADHD won't sleep. But I'll put it on in the car when I'm alone.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.