ways you're still a kid

So we have a thread about how different we are from when we were 18--and it's a good thing. No adult should still be like their teenage self. But how are you still even younger than that?

For example, I don't eat the crust on my sandwiches at least 50% of the time. I also think fewer things in life are as good as eating cookie dough/brownie batter.

The big one for me is as well-read and educated I am, (and I blame nightly for this), I will always, ALWAYS, find ways to make immature crass jokes.

The most recent I can think of is I went to my first live MLB game and I didn’t know that time outs in baseball are called “visits the mound.”

VISITS TO THE MOUND.

I was insufferable with that one for a solid week. 

Have I not been clear over the decades here that I do not sports? Like, I have zero shits to give about any sport. I don’t get it. If people enjoy it, great— but it has always felt  like creepy tribalism to me to watch people get violent and emotionally effected when dudes don’t score the enough units to win.

That said, I love the energy of a live game. It’s fun. And I did get some terrible Dodger dogs, peanuts, and a lot of cheap beer. It was fun… but I still don’t care.

3 hours ago, Tank said:

Have I not been clear over the decades here that I do not sports? Like, I have zero shits to give about any sport. I don’t get it. If people enjoy it, great— but it has always felt  like creepy tribalism to me to watch people get violent and emotionally effected when dudes don’t score the enough units to win.

I like sportsing quite a bit and I find the toxic SuperFan culture to be nauseating. But I grew up a Cubs fan so I'm used to my team sucking? Seahawks fans are the worst.

Went to the car dealership to pick up a cargo box and have them install it for the first time, and had to take the girl with me. We walked to Dairy Queen and got ice cream. Way better than Starbucks.

Not that long ago I went to a ren faire with a friend and her 12 year old daughter. She made some crack about “grownups” and I was like “ugh, aren’t they the worst” and she looked at me like I had grown a second head, and that’s when I realized I was an adult.

I still have hope for the future. I still love “that’s what she said” jokes, nod to Wayne’s World. I play games more as a grown up than I ever did as a kid, so I don’t know if that works for me here, but that could be because as a kid I was on weekly restrictions for refusing to do homework… but they never took my books or library privileges so what did I care. lol

12 hours ago, Tank said:

That said, I love the energy of a live game. It’s fun. And I did get some terrible Dodger dogs, peanuts, and a lot of cheap beer. It was fun… but I still don’t care.

While I was growing up, I played tons of sports and enjoyed most of them, but I didn’t really enjoy watching them.  It just didn’t hold my interest.  In high school, I started getting the basic idea of football since I had to go to games for marching band.  I also started watching college basketball at least a bit more, especially the University of Maryland because my brother was in school there and my dad worked there, but also because they were amazing then.  When I went to college, I watched college football and basketball all the time.  Of course, that was tied into band still.  I got so huge into watching games because it also was tied into trips I would get to take for free with band.

This carried over to my time in grad school and for a few years after I moved here.  Even watching on tv helped me connect with some other people here who were from the same general locations I was from, so it helped establish some new friendships.

Now, I rarely watch sports on tv, but I do still really enjoy going to games in-person.  Like Seth said, the energy can be great and make for a super enjoyable experience, even if you don’t love the sport or teams playing.  We went to a minor league baseball game in Dallas earlier this summer and knew nothing about the teams and my wife had never been to a baseball game before, but we both had a blast and plan to start going to some of our school’s baseball games next year.

I’ve been on both sides of the caustic fan base aspect and it’s great that sports can help find you a larger community and somewhat of a shared purpose/experience/goal, but it can definitely be easy to go overboard with it, unfortunately, with hatred of all other teams, locations, and fanbases, which is crazy.  Except Duke, of course: Fuck them ;)

I still watch sports in an attempt to connect with my Pops. Although now that we’re both old we connect more through “gawd damn kids am I rite”.

Afterthought: 

You know, some of us probably could say “I still post at Nightly.” I mean I was married and had a kid in 1999, but I was only 21. I look at my married 23 year old son and still think he’s a kid.

Whats great about sports is that it can make you feel emotions that are so strong but you know deep down aren't real in a way. If the Yankees lose in a heartbreaker in the playoffs Im upset, sometimes for days. But really it's not a bad thing to feel that badly especially when you know that its not really warranted. 

As for caustic fans, its like Star Wars. Most fans are fine and "get it". I can get into it with some opposing fans and never have a problem. Never have. You can tell the people who are true ***holes, just avoid them.

14 hours ago, Tank said:

Another way I am a kid— I play a lot of video games.

Is that really even a kid thing anymore though? You have to be a much higher tax bracket to even afford a gaming system these days! And have you tried lately to find a video game that's engaging and fun and appropriate for kids? One that's not by LEGO?

There are countless kid games out there-- they just don't get the marketing and visibility bigger games do, because as you pointed out, gaming is not a cheap hobby anymore. Nintendo is still very all ages, and you could say (using my own kid as an example) a lot of the games kids play are designed to funnel them toward bigger, more expensive games as they get older.

That said I still listed it because in my heart I do find it an immature hobby, even though I partake. I NEVER play around grown women though. I have too many female friends who have lost boyfriends and husbands to gaming/games. 

Its kinda funny with the whole gaming. I don't play video games on any kind of regular basis. I don't own a consule. I do sometimes find it off how women sometimes hate it so much. One of my good friends likes to play games and he said if he is in his den watching tv alone, his wife doesn't care. If he is in there playing video games, she freaks out. She accepts that like everyone he does need some time to himself, but not if he is playing video games. Always didn't seem right to me.

As for me if we hear the ice cream man you better get out of my way. I don't care if you are a little kid. Im not gonna let some kid get the last ice cream bar that I want and have to settle for something else. Just kidding really. Id obviously let a child have their choice of ice cream before me, but inside Im not happy about it. 

Oh man, imagining you body checking some kid out of your way made my day.

And as much as I hate to play with stereotypes, aside from women who like gaming, your friend’s case is not uncommon at all.

I’d hazard a guess that while she gets mad at him playing games at an appropriate time because, unlike TV, I bet he stays on gaming for a lot longer past the point of it being acceptable to her.

Video games are super addicting!

As a dad I will routinely eat the last ice cream treat right in front of my kids. It’s peacekeeping really. ;-) There are three kids at home and only one triple chocolate drumstick left. I can’t have a war on my hands. Diplomacy is delicious by the way.

I was thinking about the other thread and how Fozzie heard those guys saying they haven't really changed and seeing "change" from a different perspective.  Hopefully we have all changed...grow up or matured or whatever you want to call it.  But in many ways, at my core of who I really am hasn't changed too much.  The best analogy I can come up with is video games.  I have always loved video games, specifically strategy/ management games.  I loved SimCity, Masters of Orion, Civilization, and Age of Empiers.  Now I love Cities: Skylines, RimWorld, Stellaris, and Crusader Kings.  At their hearts, they are the same games...they have just matured and improved.

My core beliefs are the same, but I am no longer some edgelord atheist who carries around Demon Haunted World in my backpack...because YOU NEVER KNOW!!!

My mind still wanders and frequently gets lost in various science fiction and fantasy worlds, but I no longer call Orson Scott Card's house and hang-up. 

I still play soccer, love the mountains and skiing. 

I have the same insecurities...I never think I am good enough.  I am terrified of failure.  I have body image issues. 

And, biggest of all, I contemplate death multiple times a day causing, at best, non-stop mild anxiety to full on panic attacks. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.