What's going well in your life?

We're a bunch of sad bastards, that's for sure, but there's gotta be something good going on. 

What is it?

I'm off work in 4 minutes and I have cold beer in the fridge. That's my thing right now.

So many things right now actually! It's helping me hold space for all my friends who are dealing with some shit right now. 

• I started my new job last week! This week my boss is at Disney, so I'm on my own to do my training and start organizing this business. It's going well. I love working from home and on my own schedule. I just make myself available during the day for meetings and to answer emails/texts, but nobody is actually staring over my shoulder making sure that I'm always on task or micromanaging me in any way. This is new for me, and I love it. 
  • The boys are out of town through Friday evening! They left yesterday morning to go to my sister's lodge and help mow, then they're heading to Austin/San Antonio to check on the house we're buying and hang out with my mother-in-law. And I'm home alone!! I LOVE BEING HOME ALONE! 
  • Today is my last day in my position in Scouts. I'm fucking done with this group. (Noah isn't, but I can just be a parent now.) So the last big update there is that those bitches lied through their damn teeth about everything that's happened this year, but since they lied to make themselves look better (knowing how negatively everyone else viewed their actions), now they're kinda stuck with it. They publicly declared that the transgender boy was OF COURSE :rolleyes: welcome in our troop and that all of the ensuing drama was a misunderstanding on my part because all they wanted was to get guidance from BSA about the logistics. It's complete and total bullshit, and the people who need to know this know that it's bullshit, but now they can't very well go back on it and be blanketly discriminatory since we now know much MUCH more about how the logistics would work. I count this as a win and a "fuck you, I'm out". So...win-win for me. 

I’ve also been learning guitar, borrowed one from the library. Today I ordered an acoustic-electric from Guitar Center, and found out that my brother is giving me an electric guitar that belonged to my dad, but was originally mine in my early 20s when I thought I was going to learn guitar.

Tomorrow starts medical leave. I get 3 weeks off. I'm going to get sliced open and have a bunch of bones removed, but unlike when I was in such horrible pain back last December, I can sleep the whole damn day if I need to for three whole weeks.

Also, they're going to slice me open and remove a bunch of bones in a week, and I am so glad it's almost here and not seven weeks out like when I scheduled the surgery.

Summer in Alaska is the only time I tolerate it, so that’s good. Plus being vaccinated helps the anxiety of being around people, anxiety that grew to nearly uncontrolled amounts all last summer. Also my youngest boys are in a month of Summer School, but not because their academics suffered when I was their teacher (apparently, as explained by the school district). So yay there, that was a lot of stress thinking I done forked them up all thru 2020.

My new guitar came in. It was 3/4 size (kid size) instead of full size. Drove to the other side of town to return it to a physical store to avoid shipping. Ended up spending $100 more to get a much nicer guitar, and the guy threw in a hard case ($100+) a strap ($20) and some miscellaneous odds and ends.

On June 24 I am going to participate in a Pride Walk in Boerne Texas. It is my fourth year doing this but mostly I chose this area because it's not easy being LGBTQ in this particular city. 

This year I am bringing a friend who is struggling with coming out as trans. I think it may help but we will see. He's come out to play PoGo with my sister and I a few times as he comes out each time a bit. I think it may help to go to a strange town where no one knows him. 

Pretty excited for this. It's my home town and it is full of GOP Trump flag waivers. I have been shopping for this! HA!

12 hours ago, Hobbes said:

I bought an ebike.  I have wanted one for some time, but it wasn't realistic in Denver.  It doesn't come till the end of the month...

Our neighbors son, who is autistic, built his own motor to turn his bike into an ebike. It's fun to see him riding around on it, and it was a major accomplishment for him. 

He also looked like he was about 16 when we moved in 7 years ago, and hasn't aged a bit since, so I have no clue how old he really is.

• Pretty much everyone in our circle is fully vaccinated now, so from a "doing things perspective," the pandemic is over for us.  We're already making up for lost time and have gone to theme parks, ballgames, concerts and things like that.

• Work is going really well.  I got promoted to a new role again about a month ago and I get to work on some more mission-related stuff so that's pretty cool.

• A few months ago, I bit the bullet and treated myself to a Tesla Model 3.  I'd driven my old car for twelve years, this was always my dream car, and I found an insane deal on a used 2018 model.  So I figured why not, I love it.

• We're doing a road trip through New Orleans and Austin in a month and a half, I'm excited to visit there again.  I haven't been since I went to SXSW ten years ago and I am dying to get some BBQ.  Also if things go well and borders reopen, we're going back to Thailand in February.

My wife is bringing home pizza from a good pizzeria in town, so I don’t have to cook. My teenage daughter did her chores without needing to be reminded, she then left with a hug and said she’d see us at her curfew. I should be sus about it, but maybe being happy about it is healthier. Speaking of healthiness, I’m choosing to pretend it’s healthy to eat pizza and drink margaritas. In fact, dinner of the gods, why not? Historical Ambrosia was totally pizza and tequila.

Pic: Silver Tequila, Zing’s Margarita mix, orange juice, maraschino cherry syrup (goes in last so it creates that layered color look), lemon wedge cause I thought it was cute. lol In the freezer waiting for dinner in a few hours.

91867F8E-6E81-4217-ABBB-8B5B83C63CBD.jpeg

Found out that my new boss is going to be my old boss who helped me get promoted quickly, and her new boss is going to be her old boss who also helped. So I may be able to move up again this year if things go well. Not sure what that would look like, but I took a $15k pay cut to go to work for this company so hoping to recoup more of that.

We’re also in Cincinnati for a few days. Saw a Reds game today. They got killed but still fun.

E58FA867-686F-4E27-B284-D9F867ADBE97.jpeg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.