Jump to content

The Let's Bitch About Work Thread!


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All right, so, I officially gave notice at my job. Last day is May 13th. My boss asked me to hold off talking about it for now, even though I already told my two teammates, but they won't rat me out.

The kid had a 50 page IEP coming in and has been in a full behavior support facility since the first grade.  He has significant OCD and when it kicks in (and peer relationships is the trigger) it mani

I ONLY imagine you in heels. And nothing else.

Posted Images

She didn't mention a specific number. I did tell her how much my last job was and how I really felt it wasn't enough. She didn't flinch. I'm fairly certain she's going to offer me about $10k more than I was making. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the job! 

Salary isn't as high as I was hoping, but I will be getting bonuses on each transaction we close, so it could still wind up being significantly more money in the end. I did talk her into a salary versus hourly position and unlimited PTO. So that's good. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yes! Trevor accepted a position last week. Auto mechanic at a small family-owned shop nearby. He's excited because he likes playing around in engines and getting dirty, and apparently with the crazy growth in this part of town, the shop has been getting a LOT of high end vehicles lately. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Cerina said:

Got the job! 

Salary isn't as high as I was hoping, but I will be getting bonuses on each transaction we close, so it could still wind up being significantly more money in the end. I did talk her into a salary versus hourly position and unlimited PTO. So that's good. 

Hell yes!  Congrats!

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Cerina said:

Got the job! 

Salary isn't as high as I was hoping, but I will be getting bonuses on each transaction we close, so it could still wind up being significantly more money in the end. I did talk her into a salary versus hourly position and unlimited PTO. So that's good. 

This, in a way, sounds like a better situation. For one, you’re going to make it so she can sell better, so that’s directly helping you as well. It also puts a little less pressure on her if the business isn’t doing what she expects. But super glad to hear things are working out for both of you!

Laura accepted a babysitting job. It’s 3.5 hours a day for a two year old, and they’re paying her pretty decently for it, all things considered. So she’ll be able to go skiing a couple more times without having to take money away from the family. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My Mom died in December so I now own a condo in Florida and it's paid off. I have been talking with my boss and union rep about relocating there from Seattle (mostly while my Mom was still alive but sick) and nobody had any objections. But our union has warned us recently that since we've all worked from home for 2 years and gotten used to it, the company does not want to continue this way. My company has "invested in" rebuilding our studios and is telling us we all will go back to the office whether we like it or not some time this Spring.

I'm shelling out more than $1200 a month more than I was just 5 years ago and really cannot afford to live in Seattle much longer. My fix was going to be moving into my condo and only having to pay HOA dues-about $275 a month.

This weekend, I was told my boss' boss said no to my plan. Their stance is "we don't want to pay Seattle wages to someone not living in Seattle". My stance is they DON'T "Pay Seattle wages" or I'd be able to afford to live here. My rent alone is over 75% of what I bring home.

My union is going to help me fight this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, monkeygirl said:

My Mom died in December so I now own a condo in Florida and it's paid off. I have been talking with my boss and union rep about relocating there from Seattle (mostly while my Mom was still alive but sick) and nobody had any objections. But our union has warned us recently that since we've all worked from home for 2 years and gotten used to it, the company does not want to continue this way. My company has "invested in" rebuilding our studios and is telling us we all will go back to the office whether we like it or not some time this Spring.

I'm shelling out more than $1200 a month more than I was just 5 years ago and really cannot afford to live in Seattle much longer. My fix was going to be moving into my condo and only having to pay HOA dues-about $275 a month.

This weekend, I was told my boss' boss said no to my plan. Their stance is "we don't want to pay Seattle wages to someone not living in Seattle". My stance is they DON'T "Pay Seattle wages" or I'd be able to afford to live here. My rent alone is over 75% of what I bring home.

My union is going to help me fight this.

Is your union a strong one? I’ve been in two unions in my life, one was very concerned with worker welfare but not pay. But everything else they were on, and all my insurance (health, life, disability) was $5 every two weeks. They also stood up for employees. The other one only cared about contracts and screw the individual employees.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry about your mom. Have you looked for a different job in Florida? I think you'd be happier in Florida regardless of what you're doing or how much money you're making. 

In other news, the new agent sent me an email this morning saying she's decided the job won't be a fit afterall. So back to square one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Cerina said:

I'm sorry about your mom. Have you looked for a different job in Florida? I think you'd be happier in Florida regardless of what you're doing or how much money you're making. 

In other news, the new agent sent me an email this morning saying she's decided the job won't be a fit afterall. So back to square one. 

Didn't she formally offer you the job over the phone?  And over email...yeesh...did she give you a reason? 

That sucks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Hobbes said:

Didn't she formally offer you the job over the phone?  And over email...yeesh...did she give you a reason? 

That sucks.

Unfortunately, that’s meaningless in Republican states. Which is stupid. 
 

I’m sorry this happened, but I’m sure something better will pop up. From what you shared, I questioned if she was ready for you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Me too, tbh. But I was trying to be optimistic, but that's also why I didn't tell too many people (just y'all and family). 

One of the other people I didn't tell was the other team that wanted to schedule a final interview with me, but they also sent me an email this morning saying that they're pausing their hiring for this role but they want to keep my info in case they decide to resume and blah blah blah...

FML, I'm going back to bed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tami - I am so sorry to hear about your Mom. I don't know why you can't continue from Florida doing what you did in Seattle. Tell them the acoustics are better in humidity. You'll sound hotter! OR some such nonsense. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I also vote for Tami moving to Florida. Can they help you get a transfer to a Florida station?

Honestly, with the worker shortage, I would just move and make them fire you. You could probably work a very meaningless job in Florida to pay $275 a month for HOA off plus food and utilities, and quit whenever someone pisses you off.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate this worker shortage shit. I've applied for dozens and dozens and dozens of jobs the last few months. Outside of outright rejections, I've only heard back from one, and that didn't last longer than 2 minute phone interview. Either I'm completely unskilled and unqualified for everything (not ruling out this possibility tbh) or companies are flat out lying about hos desperate they are for workers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Darth Krawlie said:

I hate this worker shortage shit. I've applied for dozens and dozens and dozens of jobs the last few months. Outside of outright rejections, I've only heard back from one, and that didn't last longer than 2 minute phone interview. Either I'm completely unskilled and unqualified for everything (not ruling out this possibility tbh) or companies are flat out lying about hos desperate they are for workers.

It's not a universal shortage. It's really just a service shortage. Any and all jobs that deal with the public are having trouble right now because nobody wants to put themselves in the middle of a pandemic for $10 an hour. Trevor is still getting TONS of responses to his resume, but I'm barely getting a nibble. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Darth Krawlie said:

so you're saying it IS because I'm unskilled and unqualified

Or your skillset is similar to and hence the jobs you qualify for are taken by all the illegal rapists from Mexico.

/s

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Darth Krawlie said:

so you're saying it IS because I'm unskilled and unqualified

Just as unskilled and unqualified as I am. We should go into business together. Like a hiring agency for mediocre workers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are kind of getting killed in hiring at my company. We cut way too deep with COVID layoffs. We got plenty of people to retire and they decided that wasn't deep enough, they needed to lay off the new hires who had just gotten up to speed. Way to burn the bridge, guys. This is after years of bigger local companies luring good people away with bigger salaries (but driving them into the ground working 60 hour weeks). So we pissed off the young employees and now the experienced ones don't want to come back for a smaller paycheck. I hear that they are kind of realizing they need to pay better but I think they better play ball with these recent job offers. We are also hearing that some of our offers get rejected because they are too slow to come through. Or they accept and then get a better offer. So tons of energy being put into hiring, and very little panning out. Its a weird job market out here. I could definitely find something and get a new job but I'm not sure the environment would be any better and the commute would probably kill me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Cerina said:

I'm sorry about your mom. Have you looked for a different job in Florida? I think you'd be happier in Florida regardless of what you're doing or how much money you're making. 

In other news, the new agent sent me an email this morning saying she's decided the job won't be a fit afterall. So back to square one. 

Well, that blows!

Thank you.

I do plan to move regardless, but I have great medical insurance now and I'm relying heavily on it lately. I know I can find work that will pay me enough-I was just set on it going my way since I'd not had any pushback on this.

The union is fairly strong and they've seen this issue coming down the road.

I hate my company so much-it's as if they have a vested interest in keeping us as poor as possible

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Ms. Spam said:

Tami - I am so sorry to hear about your Mom. I don't know why you can't continue from Florida doing what you did in Seattle. Tell them the acoustics are better in humidity. You'll sound hotter! OR some such nonsense. 

I actually sound better from home-my equipment is better than the i heart studio's is. The only thing the company cares about is making sure they can cut our pay if we end up working from a smaller market than we're reporting in. The irony for me here is that Tampa/St Pete is just slightly smaller market but the pay is about half what I make. I expect the company to resist then offer me a 50% pay cut if I insist.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.