The Let's Bitch About Work Thread!

Iceheart

OMG. I just spent an hour trying to print a document. Every time something went wrong. And it wouldn't save any of my printer settings, so every attempt was starting from scratch. Thankfully, that particular project has a flexible deadline, because I either had to step back, or take a sledgehammer to the printer.

How's your work day going?

One of my 30 day goals for training is to improve the "health score" of my boss's database. Each client entry in the database is scored based on what information is entered - 20% each for having a full name, email, phone number, and address, and 4% each for a tag, social media profile, birthdate, company name/position, or lead source. And then the overall database is scored using some version of these numbers.

I spent HOURS yesterday adding over 100 emails to entries without them, and the STUPID METRICS ON THE WEBSITE ARE BROKEN OR SOMETHING BECAUSE THEY HAVEN'T CHANGED!! It's still showing that 35% of the database is missing an email, but by my count that number should be 17%. 

Tomorrow, I have to drive to the airport in my own personal truck to drop off an Amazon order of 200 laptop bags, because someone else added a zero to the quantity by mistake, and is sending back to Amazon.  All because someone doesn't want to pay Amazon $75 to pick up directly from our site.  How is this a) part of my job and b) my responsibility for someone else's mistake?  Answer: the fine print that says "...and duties as assigned," I guess. 

1 hour ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

If you are a white, male, middle-aged engineer, I probably hate you right now. What a bunch of whiners.

I swear, going to a ULA holiday party has the least amount of diversity of any place I have ever been in my life.

I think we all know by now I'm the afternoon girl and there's a morning girl... so, we're supposed to double duty the break room in a 90/10 split. I clean and sanitize it every night, and am responsible for cleaning the refrigerator out once a week, all because I'm the afternoon girl. All the morning girl has to do is unload the dishwasher when she gets in. One little two-minute task.

Monday night, when I turn the dishwasher on, I forgot to flip the little sign from "dirty" to "clean." So I get in at 12:30pm Tuesday and the morning girl tells me that the dishes looked clean, but without the sign flipped she just couldn't tell, and so she left it for me to do. She didn't bother flipping the sign herself so other people wouldn't use it, and I then had to separate out clean dishes from dirty.

Could she have texted me about it, the way she does every other question she has? Yeah. Did she wait for me to do it for her full well knowing that I'm under doctor's orders to not lift or bend? Yup.

Yesterday, I made sure the sign was flipped correctly before leaving. I get in at 12:30pm, and she hasn't touched the dishwasher. I'm left to take care of the whole kitchen again.

Joke's on her when she gets to do the whole thing while I'm gone. But I'm coming back full well knowing she'll just dump the whole job on me again.

My second job changed hours to the ludicrous 7 o'clock closing time when most places are reopening and starting to be open later. Not convenient for my other job. They needed supervisor support for the weekends. So to take one for the team I told them I would do it this passed Saturday but I want out of the rotation for the three month period where everyone takes a turn being supervisor on Saturday. Guess what. I got assigned a rotational Saturday on July 3 but no one let me know that they were going to send out those bids or I would be on it. 

Have you ever felt your job just doesn't give a fuck about you?

I'm working from home tomorrow because it's my first day without anti-inflammatories. And I'm off until my doctor clears me to go back, probably on July 6. I told the morning girl when I came in today and she looked PANICKED.

... I think everyone is going to miss me.

• 2 weeks later...

Been wanting to vent about this for a while, but it is about my last job.

First and foremost, my last school had a substantial local Hispanic gang population and about 1/3 of the students were from the air force base was shared a property line with.  Guess which population was the biggest pain in my ass?

I swear, some of the military families were the biggest snowflake Karens. 

Some of the regular complaints included: having flags up of different countries, having bilingual signs, teaching kids about religion that aren't Christianity, wearing Nikes (when the whole Kapernick thing was happening), in fact...social studies in general, reading Animal Farm (because talking animals were satanic), reading Fahrenheit 451, reading The Outsiders, having a civil rights unit in English, and my personal favorite...bitching about not having the flag up fast enough on snow days (because we were you know...shoveling and icing the walkways so students were safe).  These people loved to talk about their willingness to volunteer so I did a volunteer sign up to put the flag up on snow days.  Don't worry, no one signed up.

I had to deal with so much racism from these students it was unbelievable.  We lost TWO subs that were Asian because they were doing the whole Asian eyes thing and running around yelling at them about the Chinese flu.  When I would call home the families totally had their kids back.  They always picked their kids up wearing these dumbfuck conservative t-shirts with some dumbfuck slogan about guns, not running, liberal tears, and probably having a skull of some sort...you know the ones...the kids wore them too.  Well, I guess "these colors don't run" means running to me and complaining about something that offended them. 

It amazes me how early the racism hits. I started noticing it at my daughter's soccer practices when COVID was first a thing. They were 7 and 8 year olds.

I'm tired of babysitting grown men. I'm also tired of how my manager hates when it gets out that we need help. She's got some serious control freak issues about controlling the message. Just because a young engineer loves his job does not mean he isn't drowning in enough work for 2 people. I told the planning and scheduling people that they need to pace his work statement and my manager was not happy with me. I've noticed she gets pissed any time I ask for help for my team and its so dumb. She also told me she is getting ready to quit by the end of summer, so I guess I only have a few more months of this nonsense.

I did something pretty stupid a couple of weeks ago. 

Part of my job is getting and keep my boss organized, so I have full access to her emails. A couple of weeks ago while I was going through doing searches and trying to label, delete, and just generally organize her emails I found all the back-and-forth she was doing with the agency that she used to recruit me. So I read it all. That wasn't too bad actually. She absolutely loved me from the very beginning. It's just a good personality match. Anyway, one part of the hiring process was a group/panel interview between the job candidate (me) and a small group of people who know her and her business best (her husband, her team leader, and one of her best friends/associates). We had Zoom meeting where they could scope me out to see if they thought I'd be a good fit for her and I could probe them for more information about Ashley. THEN they had a Zoom meeting with Ashley and the recruiter to talk about me...and they recorded it...and I watched it. 

For the most part, it was great. They all thought I was a great match personality-wise. So much so, in fact, that some of them were convinced that I'd stalked her social media and scripted all of my answers (only marginally true - I did stalk her social media but mostly to see if I'd like her, and all my answers were scripted specifically to the brokerage and how they do things, not my experience or personality because what's the point of faking a personality??). But then they started talking about they didn't think my financial goals are ambitious enough and how my experience with foreclosures and investments will be helpful when the market shifts. So now 2 things are happening - I'm overcompensating on making it seem like I want to make a lot of money in the future and I can't stop thinking that maybe I oversold my experience and they're all going to be disappointed if the market crashes and I can't drag us out of it. 

The reality is that I have no idea what I'm worth. I do have a lot of experience and a bunch of knowledge and some natural skills and talents, but I've been underpaid and overworked so much in the past that anything else feels exorbitant. This is the highest paying job I've ever had and it's really only $40k a year plus bonuses and profit sharing which, honestly, I haven't even asked about because talking about money makes me feel greedy and squishy inside and I don't even know how to approach the subject. And this is occupying waaaay too many of my thoughts lately. And when I'm not wallowing in that, I've got this imposter syndrome convincing me that I've oversold myself and am in over my head. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.