The Let's Bitch About Work Thread!

Iceheart

It didn't end up being QUITE so bad, but there was an a handful of dumb "get to know you" ice breaker and communication games, also known as an introvert's nightmare. But events like this are designed BY extraverts FOR extraverts with little care or worry about others, so it's not really a surprise.

19 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

It didn't end up being QUITE so bad, but there was an a handful of dumb "get to know you" ice breaker and communication games, also known as an introvert's nightmare. But events like this are designed BY extraverts FOR extraverts with little care or worry about others, so it's not really a surprise.

I hate those.  I have to do this "empower" meeting like twice a year that is like that, except we have to switch tables every hour and introduce ourselves all over again and make small talk.  

On 4/10/2023 at 8:44 PM, Darth Krawlie said:

LOL every teacher "continuing education" thing ever or some dumb meeting sometimes is like that. I came here for free manipulatives and to learn about your trash computer programs not learn that Sara Bessie James is learning to knit or has five grandchildren.

I non-renewed my counselor.  In education, what this means is that you are not renewing them for next school year, but they are still finishing out the year.  This is not the same as firing them when you tell them they are done that day.  Needless to say, non-renewing them sucks ass because you still have to work with them until the end of the year.

Anywho, this person isn't bad at actually counseling--actually she would make a really good therapist.  But what she is terrible at is at non-counseling duties such as reading the room and understanding how other perceive her.  For example, she has a morning duty of watching the kids that want to be outside when they are dropped off in the morning .  To me, this is a great opportunity to talk to parents, interact with students, etc.  But she just sits there all grumpy.  I have had numerous parent complaints about her communication lacking empathy.  She just walks around looking all sad and shit--which is just her affect, but she just looks miserable--which is NOT what you want in a counselor. 

Anyhow, she has 9 PTO days left (she has taken 12 days this year--but she rolled over a bunch because before I got here PTO was a mess and wasn't deducted properly from paychecks) and she is taking them all the last two weeks of school.  Honestly, I am glad she is gone.  I am fine with her leaving now, but I don't want to mess with  scrambling to cover her duties.  I really want to respond to her request that this right here is why you are being non-renewed and isn't a good look for someone that needs my recommendation to land a job.  She always takes PTO right before breaks (the days that are all hands on deck) and she took a week of PTO to go to some avalanche training and then came back to discuss how refreshed she was when everyone covered her duties. 

On 4/12/2023 at 12:39 PM, Hobbes said:

Holy fuck thats some next level attempt at corporate indoctrination if I ever saw it. Fuck me that's poison. As well as being cringe. God corporate team building is horse shit. 

Excuse my language but that sort of stuff makes me lose faith in humanity. Every one of those people in pink shirts would be in a cult, no problem. 

Just showed it to my wife being that she's the one in our household with a more corporate job (still in design though so nowhere near as bad as some departments), and she said "if anyone asked me to do that I'd tell them to go fuck themself".

I definitely sent that to a friend this week.

It was an awful day. I attended a meeting today that they have put off for weeks because we needed all the right people together. I was considered a key contributer. My manager even told me, hey you need to put in your word early before people start dominating the meeting. So I spoke up. And was spoken over. So after waiting 10 minutes for someone to shut up, I used the hand raise function. After a few more minutes, 2 others raised their hand. Then the guy finally shut up and said I'd like to hear what Hand Raise #3 has to say. My manager said hey she tried to talk and she had her hand raised first. So I said a few things and relinquished the floor. Then they tried to default to Hand Raise #3 again and my manager again said, look he's #3 someone else is going before him. Then we all finally heard from #3, he asked to steal the ball and share HIS interpretation of what others said. They all love him, fall all over themselves, and I spend the rest of the meeting being talked over and interrupted. I was in tears by the end. It was the worst, most frustrating meeting of my entire career. This guy constantly takes credit for my and others ideas, restates ideas as his own, and everyone just fawns over him. Its disgusting and I'm over it. I was so disrespected. I told my manager I am about to excuse myself from this space and stop contributing because this behavior is so disgusting and no one will listen to a word I say if this guy is in the room.

I'm going to start buying lottery tickets.

13 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

I definitely sent that to a friend this week.

It was an awful day. I attended a meeting today that they have put off for weeks because we needed all the right people together. I was considered a key contributer. My manager even told me, hey you need to put in your word early before people start dominating the meeting. So I spoke up. And was spoken over. So after waiting 10 minutes for someone to shut up, I used the hand raise function. After a few more minutes, 2 others raised their hand. Then the guy finally shut up and said I'd like to hear what Hand Raise #3 has to say. My manager said hey she tried to talk and she had her hand raised first. So I said a few things and relinquished the floor. Then they tried to default to Hand Raise #3 again and my manager again said, look he's #3 someone else is going before him. Then we all finally heard from #3, he asked to steal the ball and share HIS interpretation of what others said. They all love him, fall all over themselves, and I spend the rest of the meeting being talked over and interrupted. I was in tears by the end. It was the worst, most frustrating meeting of my entire career. This guy constantly takes credit for my and others ideas, restates ideas as his own, and everyone just fawns over him. Its disgusting and I'm over it. I was so disrespected. I told my manager I am about to excuse myself from this space and stop contributing because this behavior is so disgusting and no one will listen to a word I say if this guy is in the room.

I'm going to start buying lottery tickets.

Wtf

• 1 month later...

So today there was a diversity discussion on bias towards working parents. One of my rather nauseating coworkers was going on about how he felt SO supported as a working parent by our leadership. So I busted out this little gem: https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/04/30/first-time-moms-see-a-30percent-drop-in-pay-for-dads-theres-a-bump-up.html

The guy tried to discredit the study because it uses Danish data. That got me pretty fiesty. This is what I deal with.

10 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

So today there was a diversity discussion on bias towards working parents. One of my rather nauseating coworkers was going on about how he felt SO supported as a working parent by our leadership. So I busted out this little gem: https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/04/30/first-time-moms-see-a-30percent-drop-in-pay-for-dads-theres-a-bump-up.html

The guy tried to discredit the study because it uses Danish data. That got me pretty fiesty. This is what I deal with.

Sooo---check your dms. 

All management at Black Sky is our age and the reality of a work-life balance of our generation is a priority--not what the work-life balance of what Boomer white males think it is.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.