The Let's Bitch About Work Thread!

Iceheart

38 minutes ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

Thanks. It is a big deal. When I was a new hire, I was straight up told that I would probably never achieve the level I was at currently, let alone the one I just got promoted to. So big middle finger to those old guys.

That's fucking rude! 

And congrats for sticking it to them! 

On 11/10/2022 at 10:07 PM, Destiny Skywalker said:

What do you call a mansplainer that does it to everyone, regardless of gender?

Let me me explain to you what mansplaining is. 

Mansplaining is when a man explains to a woman what something is in easy enough terms that a woman can understand.

So would it just be personsplaining?

• 2 weeks later...

Now they say the issue is Tampa is non union and I'm a union employee. They haven't even floated the notion of paying me a little less, which I may be willing to accept. But I'm not offering that info. They have encouraged me to "apply" in Tampa, which would mean a huge pay cut and me leaving the union, which I don't really want to do. This is the reason the union is helping me-they feel this is the company's reason for calling us all back to our broadcast markets.

I can't rent out my place (HOA) so this is the only way to keep it for my retirement-by moving in 5 and 1/2 years before I really expected to. Everyone else's reasons for moving started with COVID and I'm getting caught in this wave. My bosses signed off on me moving long ago.

I'm less than thrilled by knowing I'm moving to FLORIDA. It's so red.

I'm told that a lot of companies don't want union employees moving to states where there is no union because it supposedly opens up the non-union employees to be represented by the union. We had a guy move to Idaho for family reasons and he initially had to leave the union and it was a big hit to his paycheck for health care. He was able to rejoin the union and got the good Healthcare back. But if you are working from your home for the Seattle market and not going into the studio, no one would know that you're union.

Oh no! Did you finally get over to the new job and it's awful? What's wrong? The job? The people?

About 8 years ago, I got super pissed at my boss and hit the eject button. I did well in the interview, I knew good people in the organization, but the hiring manager made a red flag comment that I brushed off. (He asked me a diversity question and I gave an anecdote about being a woman in engineering and he said that wasn't diversity but then moved on.) I showed up on day 1 and realized the group was incredibly toxic. I knew immediately I had made a mistake. I managed to get an inter-organizational transfer after 6 months, but not before the hiring manager tried to ding me for poor performance 3 weeks after an "exceeds expectations" performance review to try to prevent me from going elsewhere. He succeeded in blocking a major career opportinity but not the backup plan. I ended up staying for another 2 years before successfully getting transferred back to my old organization through a handshake between higher ups, and only because I had a competing offer in hand. The environment (manufacturing) sucked, the work was boring and yet high pressure. I've been back for 5 years now, and things are finally starting to go the right way. Sometimes you have to wait out shitty, toxic people. You can wait them out if they aren't pigeonholed. My first boss wasn't, but it still took almost the entire 2 years to dislodge him. The even more toxic manager was totally pigeonholed, so getting out of there was the right move. But the work was terrible too. There was a period of about a year in that 2 where I was killing it, actually. I had an awesome executive who empowered me and gave me opportunities. I was bored but she almost made it worth it. Then she got promoted and following her would've meant uprooting my whole family. Within 3 months I was gone. Once she left and it went back to the same old, the boredom wasn't worth it.

Yeah so basically yeah, it's the people I work for and with.  I am still getting acclimated and the environment is totally different.   I was actually hired in July, but spent less than 3 weeks total at the new job because I was working at my old job until backfill.  I moved from a business college to another campus that is more education and liberal arts oriented, and there are a lot of non-technical people who are impatient.   I thought things were bad at my old job but at least people had a working knowledge of tech, which makes troubleshooting easier.   Plus, at least the IT team I was with had a sense of teamwork and cooperation.  At the new job, the coworkers are not very helpful.  My supervisor is nice and tries to be helpful, but she isn't very technical and not a good choice to go to  when something stumps me, OR I need guidance because I am still relatively new.  She usually just refers me to the other 2 techs, and one guy has quit.  The other little help.   He will offer advice if asked, but he is the type that doesn't offer anything freely and only answers exactly what is asked and nothing more.  No pointers or anything, and he is very tight lipped about most things. 

Also, I guess I am just burned out in IT, too, soo there's that as well.  

It's hard when you're burnt out to find much joy in work. And I think many of are burnt out post-pandemic. Not to undermine what you're saying, just saying that you're not alone and it is hard. I think this is how many people fall into quiet quitting, which I think is actually a tiered process. There is literally I will do the absolute bare minimum not to get fired, but there's also "I'm not putting in work above and beyond what is expected when I know from experience that I won't be rewarded for it and will likely just get more responsibility to pick up the slack from others or allow my company not to hire when they reallt need to." It's simply having good boundaries, which management hates. I feel like many people who go into management don't have good boundaries themselves. There are definitely some who exploit boundaries, but I think most people in low-level management are actually just people who feel like they need to succeed and put too much pressure on themselves, and have their own poor boundaries.

It sounds like your coworker who only gives out small bits of information either overextended himself in the past helping others or someone got promoted/recognized over him when he did some heavy mentoring. Or he's just an extreme introvert. Or both.

Speaking of tech, I've been trying to get my Boomer father signed up for home internet so that he can watch Netflix. Holy hell. This millennial engineer is pulling out her hair. I should've take care of this when I helped him move but he had no energy to do this at the time.

Yeah, I am definitely getting to the quiet quitting phase, I think.   I normally used to go above and beyond, and still do sometimes, but like you say, getting more work heaped upon you for doing a good job gets old.  I don't know the full story on the coworker.  He doesn't seem introverted, but it is possible he got burned one too many times.   He is a workhorse to his credit, just not someone who seems to want to share institutional knowledge.  I could have it wrong, I suppose, but whatever the reason, he just isn't that helpful with questions.  He's not rude or anything, just keeps his knowledge close to the vest.   I mean I have the tech skills, but there is a lot of institutional stuff at this new job that goes on, and it would be nice to have someone who could show me the ropes, and was a little more friendly.  Then again, that is the IT world.  A lot of techs don't have people skills.   I am introverted myself, but I at least try to be helpful, polite and friendly, and I like to think I am a team player. 

The grass not being greener thing... yeah I think everyone can relate to it in one way or another. I certainly can. Any big life change, be it a job or a move or a relationship or whatever, comes with a really big risk of that. No one bats 1.000 unfortunately. It's just... figuring out what you want to do about it, and HOW you go about doing that.

I hate all the bullshit that comes with the end of the semester.  Even having other people helping cover my classes while I am at home with the baby isn’t helping too much.  I am beyond ready for this semester to end.  Thankfully, at least, finals start tomorrow.

Sooooo I am leaving Harland Clarke today. Why is it that when we quit a job that we've had long term there's so much anxiety? I just did my exit survey from school at lunch. I have to remember to bring in a bag to take the remaining few things I have left home tonight. I quit because even though I make 17 dollars a hour (Fabulous part time money for extras) I was starting to lose my cool with customers and the work environment was getting too much with constant mandatory OT which I had to find someone to work because I can't leave school early to go to a dumb second job and quality on me all the time about not saying the script.

I know it's loss. I guess it's making it harder because one of cats is dying too. I got her when I first started working at Harland Clarke and so it's like a bundle emotions. 

Also today the kids are already in like IT'S CHRISTMAS MF we're on fire with not focusing and can't get a single thing done at school.

My boss takes notes on damn near anything. And unfortunately, I don't mean that he scribbles things on the back of his hand or on random napkins. I mean this digitally - he names files and things with notes in the title. He has entries on his phone contacts like "MTI save 2.5% with check" or "Tim metal roof 13th St NO CARLOS".

I created a whole project management system on Monday.com that connects to our Todoist and Google Drive, but he keeps screwing up my automations because he'll rename a project randomly with a note in the title so it doesn't match across all platforms and the automation coding needs things to match pretty exactly. Example - we're switching banks for one project we have going with one of his investors but not the other project for the same investor, so he renamed the projects in Todoist (which we don't use for anything banking related, just construction notes and tasks and stuff) to "Arcadia = Frontier bank" and "13th staying with WF". 

Sometimes he even will just screenshot an email and paste the screenshot into a spreadsheet or in the comments on one of the apps. Screenshots aren't searchable! 

I'm trying to break him of all of these habits, but it's proving to be a job in and of itself. 

22 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

Do you get paternity leave, paid or unpaid? How long?

It’s not official leave, per say, but we both have modified duties for the spring and don’t have to teach classes, just work with our grad students, work on our research, and various service obligations.  This term, we officially got nothing, but my wife finished designed her class to finish material early so the end was review and I just didn’t realize how mine numbingly difficult this would be.  I made one video lecture a few weeks ago and felt out of breath halfway through it and realized I could barely think.

overall, we are very fortunate.  The end of this term just messed with me horribly.  It’s mostly overseeing all sections of one course that has caused the worst of it.

• 3 months later...

Turns out one of my big triggers is interrupting, and it doesn't even have to be me that's being interrupted. I don't think I really knew this about myself until recently--and man is my boss an interrupter. He asks a question, drones on for an exceptionally long time before you're even given a chance to answer, then doesn't even let you finish your first sentence before interrupting you again. Drives me nuts.

I was in a meeting yesterday with some guy who was impossible to interrupt. I got a phone call from the school that my son was sick and needed picked up. I tried to break in when this guy took a breath for a solid 5 minutes to excuse myself. Finally just interrupted to say I'll be back in 20 minutes. Came back 20 minutes later, didn't get to break in the rest of the meeting to say I was back. Finally IMed my teammate to tell him I'd been back for 10 minutes but this guy hasn't taken a breath.

Interrupters are super rude and I hate doing it. I will say that with virtual meetings, it's a little harder because people don't see the behaviors that indicate you'd like to speak up or that someone is about to finish talking. (Also I think there's a slight audio delay, so sometimes when you think it's ok to break in, it's now too late.) But in person, I have a lot less tolerance for that.

HA! Zoom school was horrible because of that delay. I would get parents that would complain I wasn't recognizing their kid or what not and I was like there's a delay. It's just that one loud interrupter kid who gets everything because he doesn't give a fuck. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.