The Let's Bitch About Work Thread!

Iceheart

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t have anything specific to complain about. Just… ugh. Work.

okay never mind I do have something specific. I’ve redone a power point at least half a dozen different ways already with conflicting requests in what is wanted on it and I can tell a half dozen more do-overs are gonna happen. It’s not that it’s hard because it definitely isn’t, just irritating as hell. 

9 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

I don’t have anything specific to complain about. Just… ugh. Work.

okay never mind I do have something specific. I’ve redone a power point at least half a dozen different ways already with conflicting requests in what is wanted on it and I can tell a half dozen more do-overs are gonna happen. It’s not that it’s hard because it definitely isn’t, just irritating as hell. 

Ah yes, we like to call this "Bring me a rock". Which is usually followed by "No, not that rock, a different rock." Repeat at least 3x, but more likely infinity.

OH MY GOD I AM STEALING THAT BRING ME A ROCK thing.

Sooooo I am working on some school stuff and I have to have imput from at least 20 teachers as I try again for my masters that I put on hold when covid hit. It is EXACTLY like that for a group project I have to write up. No one reads emails or follows up on updates it's like well I last saw it a week ago is that one?

• 2 weeks later...

So I am gunning for a big prestigious promotion at work that you have to apply for, interview, and be accepted. Applications are every 2 years, so I will apply in 2024.

Today I got some feedback that I may want to consider waiting until 2026 to apply because I haven't worked on enough development projects. I have worked on every development project since I got here, with the exception of one that was a big disaster (and thank God for that). So I set the record straight on that immediately. The person giving me the feedback was shocked. He did not realize how wrong he was until I set that record straight. So he stammered that I should get my application ready and review it with an expert to identify any gaps.

I can't even with these people anymore. I think they genuinely think they are being helpful but they haven't even thought it through properly.

So you heard about quiet quitting? I think that's the guy who was doing that to you about that promotion. They do the bare minimum and don't do any due diligence. Just kinda half assed that and move on. We have a few teachers that do that here. It's klnda weird. Like after they sign out for the day that's it. Parents can't reach them and they don't do any prep work for the following day at school. For me teaching is fun and I do a lot of prep work before the day starts so I can be high energy and make it interesting and fun.

The thing is that I'm not sure where the feedback is actually coming from. There are 2 potential sources:

1. Our management team is almost entirely new and/or much younger than me. They have no idea what I've done except for possibly the last 3-5 years, and I've actually been in pretty stable positions during that time, which is highly unusual for me. I actually made a conscious effort to stick around on some of these programs because I was worried I was bouncing around too much. (That said, I actually like bouncing around because I get bored solving the same problem over and over ad nauseum.)

2. Many of our experts spent a lot of time on one particular program and were rewarded for it. I was on that program at a few separate points but not the long haul that those folks were. Many of them think if you didn't work on that program, you ain't done shit. I am hoping this is not the case, but many of them are retiring soon anyway, hence the need for me to step into the role ASAP.

As for quiet quitting, I agree wholeheartedly. I've always been outspoken about not doing overtime unless there is a direct need for it (a specific deadline), and that I am willing go do it but it will be from home after normal business hours. I work with a lot of people who really enjoy milking the overtime and making 60 hours a week of pay instead of 40. Most of those people are older than me, however, so I'm hopeful that attitude will change in the next few years.

8 hours ago, Tank said:

I don’t think the lull between jobs is sustainable for me in terms of mental health. I’m really struggling and feeling like I need to find some other form of income. Passive or otherwise.

What would you want to do? Do you have a skill set where you could do a part time job?  Like video editing or some such?

Oh corporate world. Why do you screw with me.

In other news I decided December 8 is my last day at the check place. I am quitting if I don't get fired first by December 8. The biggest thing is inside I am freaking out. This will be the first time in almost 15 years I haven't had backup income. I will have to be better at budgeting as the school just does one paycheck a month. I honestly have about five years salary saved up but it's not a normal thing for me. I don't know. FREAK OUT.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally talked to my boss about HIS boss allowing me to move to Florida and do Seattle traffic from there. But now they're telling me as post-COVID rules go into effect, I'm going to have to transition to working from the office once I get there. It's SO stupid. My boss uses stability as an excuse when, in reality, all my tech problems have been on my affiliates' ends. Then he cites staff comraderie, which I'm all about but MY co-workers aren't in Florida so what point is it for me to go in there? I'm pissed. I have no leg to stand on-they hired me to work from their studios, so I really can't do anything about it, I'm just mad they can't see the light. I only need this job just under another 6 years. WHY CAN'T THEY JUST BE COOL ABOUT THIS? I want to continue to work from home. Home is where my kitties are. I've only had 2 MINOR panic attacks during work since I've been working from home. I wonder if I can get a note from my doctor...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.